FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Speaker Placement (Amazing Orginals)

<<

Beachbum

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:33 am

Speaker Placement (Amazing Orginals)

Is There Any Information Or Specifactions On Speaker Placement for The Carver Amazing Orginals ???

ie. So Many Feet From A Wall (Rear and Side)

Is Placement In Front Of a Window With Blinds A Bad Choice ?

Does Anyone Recommend Room Treatments For Behind The Speakers ?

The Distance Between The Two Speakers ?????

Having The Ribbons On The Outer Edge Instead Of Them Being On The Inner Edge ?????

Thanks In Advance For Any Info You Can Provide
BeachBum

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK (to mp3)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:54 am

Re: Speaker Placement (Amazing Orginals)

This is a STARTING POINT.

Much more from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7889&p=87099&hilit=speaker+placement#p87099

Most every question ever asked here has an answer somewhere in the bowels of the forum~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Beachbum

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:55 am

TNRabbit YOU DA MAN THANKS

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:00 am

The Amazing Owners Manual says you can place them almost flat against a wall, but trial and error are your best friends here.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 am

Hello Beachbum.

Beachbum wrote:Is Placement In Front Of a Window With Blinds A Bad Choice ?
Eh, with all things considered, it is situation dependent. It may be to your advantage if you have heavy drapes that run wall to wall. If you have large wooden slat blinds, it may help to deflect rear reflections.

Beachbum wrote:Does Anyone Recommend Room Treatments For Behind The Speakers ?
Yes. We tried this on Sparky II [my rig] at Carverfest last year with a simple pillow in each corner behind the speakers. What it did was it cleaned up the lower registers, mid-bass and mid-range making the entire spectrum aforementioned less confused, if you will, and more defined/accurate. On this same rig, we had heavy cloth drapes that ran from wall to wall. With them open, the sound was decent. With them closed, it made the sound and overall presentation incredibly pleasurable.

Beachbum wrote:Having The Ribbons On The Outer Edge Instead Of Them Being On The Inner Edge ?????
The standard concerning ribbons is having the ribbons in. This is the way Bob Carver designed them to be placed. I have seen and heard some systems that use the ribbon out but it did not sound as good to these ears. Once again, this is situation dependent.

Here's another thread that might be interesting to you. Be sure to read the entire thread to get the best results of what you seek to know.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13959
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Beachbum

Post Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks Folks For All Your Info 8)

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:21 am

Update? How's it sound?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Beachbum

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 pm

I Was Just Gathering Knowledge As To See If I Had Them Placed Correctly (As Close to Correctly) As Possible.

Next I'll Have To Mod The Room

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Eh, we're not that difficult....

Tell us where you are at now and maybe we can steer you in the right direction.....or not. :D
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Beachbum

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Well I Am Just Getting Ready To Paint and Recarpet The LISTENING ROOM (Living Room)
Maybe Change Window Treatments.

Is There Such A Thing as An Acoustic Paint One That Would Produce Better Sound Than Normal Paint ?????

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 pm

I could sell ya some.....

1/2 price only 499.99 gal...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:41 am

My suggestion to you would be: GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU....

It's VERY hard to tune a Sonic Holography setup, if you are getting up and down every 20 seconds...
Sit your butt in the chair, and have someone else tweak the speakers. Sometimes it will only take 1/8" of toe-in or out to make a WORLD of difference !!!

I've done it 20-30 times, so I know what I am listening for, but the 1st time around, you'll have to play a little, till you hear the holography kick in.
The diagram above is a decent starting point, but the room itself will be a big factor in your final positioning.
(( personally I think step #3 is total BS... more like 2" - 4" on a set of plats' ))

I usually start by finding the room center point, and measuring equal distance to each inside edge of each speaker. Then toe in and out the speakers...
You almost want each ribbon pointing right at each ear. Remember, the ribbon dispersion angle is only 10 - 15 degrees. It really depends on the speaker spacing, and the distance to your ears.
Sit in the middle, and shift your head left and right... you will hear "it" when your head is in the right spot... then you will be able to tell the other person which way to toe the speaker, as the "sweet spot" gets closer and closer to your ear, and your head get closer to the center point again... Close your eyes as you shift your head side to side... (it helps)
1st time around, it will take you an hour or so... I can do it in about 5 minutes now.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:14 am

There is a proper angle to the speaker as well....believe it is in the manual.
I have the original boxes for the Originals...there is a profile on the box, a drawing of the speaker.
You are suppose to stand the box beside the speaker and adjust the angle so its the same as the one on the box.
Just some info for anyone that has not seen a factory box.
Mine were built in 87.....March....ser# 0758.......and are like new....... O:)
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am

Yeah, the best "sounding" angle we found was about 2-3 degrees of tilt. But the big problem there is, it's pretty easy to bump them, and have them fall forward if they only have 2-3 degrees of tilt.
5 degrees is a little more "comfortable" if you have carpet. 2-3 on hardwood isn't too bad. Just be careful
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Beachbum

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 pm

You Guys are REALLY Helpful !!!!!
I Never Seen The Manual Or The Box That Came With The Speaker. I Know They Sell It On E Bay But If Someone Would Be Kind Enough To Post It I Would Be Extremely Grateful !!!!!!! [-o< For The Orginals and The Silvers

Toy Maker I Know EXACTLY What You Mean I Spent HOURS/Days Getting The Toe In/Out And Tilt To The Point Of Finding That Sweet Spot ( Man Finding These Speakers Sweet Spot Is More Difficult Than Finding a Womens Spot ) lol

At One Point I Was Thinking Of Constructing A Hydralic Remote Controlled Base For The Speakers So I Could Sit In The Chair And Change Angles !

Did I Say I Lost My MIND A Long Time Ago

I Was Serious about The Paint Even Though The Walls Are Sheet Rock I Thought Someone Would Have Invented An Acoustic Type Paint ?????

If You Had A Choice Between Carpeted Floor Or Wall To Wall Which Is Better For The Sound (I would think wall to wall) ????

ONCE YOU HEAR

F L A C

Next

Return to Carver Speakers