FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:35 am

platinums verses Originals

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun May 08, 2011 12:32 pm

platinums verses Originals

Having completed the refit of my converted platinums I have been able to make some comparisons. I have always wondered how one would stack up against the other. As much as I would like to report that the overhauled platinums were superior to my originals they are not. Since both were rewired with Cardas and use the Cardas posts one should not dominate over the other because of that. They both have the honeycomb woofers and the basses are the same. I would say they are equal here. The 60"ribbons make the platinum conversions more efficient but not better sounding. I found the platinum ribbons razor sharp on a lot of pieces. Can make listening for extended periods a real bitch . I presently am using my originals and would have to say I still like them better. The only advantage the platinums have is in my surround mode. The efficiency makes them work a bit better with my Martin Logan surounds. Just a word to the wise. Be very careful when you match centers and rear speakers to the Amazings. My Logans are beautiful units but it is almost impossible to match them up with the terribly inefficient Carvers. Of course I would love to try a Martin Logan Summit in this setup but second hand ones at betwen $5000 and $7000 jusy isn't going to happen. I've often thought that maybe the Silver 9t's might have something to do with the sharpness. The only problem is that something of that quality and power would also require a second mortgage on my home. Wonder if those big tube units like Dave Sauter has would do the trick?? Art
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun May 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: platinums verses Originals

tah800 wrote:Having completed the refit of my converted platinums I have been able to make some comparisons. I have always wondered how one would stack up against the other. As much as I would like to report that the overhauled platinums were superior to my originals they are not. Since both were rewired with Cardas and use the Cardas posts one should not dominate over the other because of that. They both have the honeycomb woofers and the basses are the same. I would say they are equal here. The 60"ribbons make the platinum conversions more efficient but not better sounding. I found the platinum ribbons razor sharp on a lot of pieces. Can make listening for extended periods a real bitch . I presently am using my originals and would have to say I still like them better. The only advantage the platinums have is in my surround mode. The efficiency makes them work a bit better with my Martin Logan surounds. Just a word to the wise. Be very careful when you match centers and rear speakers to the Amazings. My Logans are beautiful units but it is almost impossible to match them up with the terribly inefficient Carvers. Of course I would love to try a Martin Logan Summit in this setup but second hand ones at betwen $5000 and $7000 jusy isn't going to happen. I've often thought that maybe the Silver 9t's might have something to do with the sharpness. The only problem is that something of that quality and power would also require a second mortgage on my home. Wonder if those big tube units like Dave Sauter has would do the trick?? Art

Art,

Interesting. :-k With my TFM-75, I find my Plat 4's very polite, laid back and non-fatiguing. Same experience with my Sunfire 400 X 7. Can listen to them for hours on end. Also, the tilt angle in the manual I did not find to my liking. My optimum was less tilt similar to what James mentioned in this post. Cut and paste below.

Also, do you have trim adjustments (High, mid and Low's) on the back and what series Plat's?

Post subject: Re: Speaker Placement (Amazing Orginals)Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 am

Puppet Master

Posts: 5229 Yeah, the best "sounding" angle we found was about 2-3 degrees of tilt. But the big problem there is, it's pretty easy to bump them, and have them fall forward if they only have 2-3 degrees of tilt.
5 degrees is a little more "comfortable" if you have carpet. 2-3 on hardwood isn't too bad. Just be careful
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun May 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Interesting observations....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11801&p=114157

I have often wondered about why so many folks give up on this awesome speaker. I have read and heard that folks prefer the Original to the Platinum. I agree, having heard the two firsthand....and both with proper amplification.

Nice post.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun May 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Art I don't know what gear you are using with the speakers but try some tubes in the mix and see if that helps the sound you are looking for!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sun May 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Would love to try tubes but at the power levels I'd need to drive those bad boys I would have to sell my house. In answer to the post about controls at the back for treble and bass the answer would be no. These were just originals converted to platinums.As to the tilt I guess it would be all about personal taste. When I come to think of it my soundstage is a bit back. I've probably gotten used to it. Art. P.S. if anyone has any good ideas on how to design some adjusters that you could raise or lower without lifting that base it would be great.I'm more likely to tip those speakers doing that rather than knocking them over,
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun May 08, 2011 11:06 pm

as the bobfather will tell you, it only takes one tube to get the effect. i have a sonic frontier sfl-1 that does just that, and recently bought a jolida cd player for under 500 new to my door from jolida.net that uses the 12ax7 tubes, which in turn i rolled with some acoustic research vintage ones for a real smooth sound through my tgp4 and 300x2. so many ways to get a tube in the mix.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 am

Art, I imagine you did, but just wondered if you changed out the crossovers when you installed the 60" ribbon. The original and plat crossovers were not the same.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 am

When I bought these I made the guy open them. They had been changed to platinum crossovers. A buddy of mine has the converted ribbon but left the crossover the same. It mostly results in poor bass. Art
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm

well after hearing all three ribbon types....
30" 48" 60" and a 54" speakerlab ribbon (david G's design, same guy on the carver ribbons) they all sound about the same, but all have a slightly diffrent sound....
I found the 30" type to be a bit laid back
the 48" middle of the road
the 60" right on for sound
the 48/60 are so close in sound, its just a bit diffrent. maybe the xtra woofer kinda gives them the xtra punch that I like
and the speakerlab,.... well, these do not sound as good as the carver ribbon design, it maybe the xover, but now that I put these back with there orig. xover they may sound a bit better, but my guess is noI have not gave them a listen yet, to many fire's too put out.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I actually prefer the original ALS version over my Plat IV's at the moment. I have three sets of plats and no originals right now. I will be working on them over the summer, I hope. I am not happy with the later subs that were used.Call me crazy, but I seem to thing the honeycomb subs sound better. I might even have a x-over problem to work out. I am getting muddy bass 80Hz on up and it is driving me crazy. The rabbit approach is what will be tried next, with external active x-overs . I need more time... :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...

Return to Carver Speakers