FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 pm

OO ANALOG

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 pm

OO ANALOG

MY ANALOG SYSTEM is in my RedNECK Bar. I have a good system on my porch :rolleyes: and at my TV.

Some of us here don't have all the goodies of others. No big deal as someone is at the top and someone at the bottom. Enjoying the music is the bottom line. No matter how much or how little equipment I have had over the years, I have always enjoyed my tunes. My analog system is in my RedNeck Bar. Instead of worrying about a definite sweet spot, I want the tunes to be more like in a -- well - "jukejoint". :-"

Players:
- Sony 400 CD player - just excellent in everyway - have my eye on an outboard DAC for it. I have an assortment in it. I hit shuffle, and it whirls like an old jukebox and picks a song from this CD and then that. I think this is the way ED mostly play his tunes. The CDs on the wall are numbered, so I can also set at the table and pull any one up with the remote which is nice.
- Phillips CD player/recorder - CR-560 - not many have this high end capability in their system - HaHa. It cost a lot back when few had computers. I have other CD players, but this is history, and sounds good too.
- Rega 5 Turntable w/ Exact Cart and TTSPU - experts said I needed the TTSPU, high end mat and sorbo base - so I got them -
- Pioneer Turntable PL-518 w/Shure M97xE Cart This is a really good sounding TT and experts like Spearkerlabfan can attest to the Shure Cart which is a good fit here both sonically and pricewise. I have a lot of records, and some of my best play here because they are a little bit beat up.

Preamp:
- AricAudio Ultimate - handmade by Aric. I have Serial #00001. He makes them one at a time like Bob. He too wanted to make the best he ever made and put all he knows in this one. It sounds OK to me. I got tired of the Sunfire Tube search and got this. I think I made a good move --- It looks really good, and sounds good too. I promised Aric a review, and I will soon. I don't know if I am capabable of a decent review, so may beg Wayne to do it for me or I may haul it to Carverfest. (anyone up to testing it there?)
- Carver CT-6 - I run the Pioneer through this and onto the AricAudio above as it has a better phono stage than an outboard Techiniques phono pre I bought to transfer LPs to digital a couple years back. It is for sale as I decided to just play my LPs where they sound the best (on the Rega). I meant the Tecniques is for sale, not the Carver.

Crossover:
Niles 58d9 -> just don't ask unless you are a "Boomer".

Amps:
Carver AV-705 -> highly over looked amp you can get at a decent price. The 405, 505, 705 are just great sounding amps in a two channel system. Power steering makes them a natual for bi-amp. If you have speakers with 4 inputs, these are just perfect!

Speakers:
- Polk 65SDi - these are excellent, and the price is 1/2 now since a new model is out. I had Polk LSi7s mounted on the wall, but was never happy. I am happy with these and they are a fraction the cost.
- Polk VM20 - mounted under the above. These are a little bright, but very clear - they blend in perfectly.
- Polk MicroPro 1000 - wish I had a bigger sub, but this is a good one. I might upgrade to the Epic Empire soon.
Together these speakers do the job, and make you want to dance.

I know this is not very impressive to most. This has been a lot of trial and error over a few years. Right now it all meshes well together. My audio guru goes out of his way to proclaim he has no Polk.
For a guy living month to month on a SS check which may be cut off soon, these are high end to me. I have heard a few speakers in my life, and maybe if just for the mass market discount, many POLK speakers are a good buy. I have at least 12.

Alternate input:
- Teac double Cassette - not worth much these days, but not long ago it was cutting edge.
- KlWI CD player - I paid a bundle for this used when CD players were new on the market. I am still Ok with the sound and memories of it.
- Sony 100 CD player - this is just a wonderful thing. It will shuffle, and in doing so puts on quite a show of spinning like an old Wurlitzer and making quite a racket. I only have Country Music in it. I got it in a pawn shop around 1997 and suspect it will out live me.

================================================================

My "listening room" is up on the deck, but my analog system is in my RedNeck Bar. To that end, the music needs to play loud, clear and the sweet spot needs to be as large as a pool table. The sweet spot is actually centered just beyond it at the raised bar table seats. Does the system "image"? Hell, I am deaf in one ear and and blind in the other due to old Army incidents (too much Gin). I'll let Kingman add a review on that aspect after he helps me tune it in.

My speakers are wall mounted 12 feet apart. The Atriums are near the ceiling and the VMs are below them at standing ear level. The hoped for "sweet spot" is as you play pool.

As you can see below, this is a big room which is shaped like a 1/2 circle. For Ed that would be a "semicircle", or for us Southern boys, "pigeye". (My house is round). The speakers are mounted to a concrete block wall covered in Beatle Albums and beer trays for sound defusion. The rest of the room is drywall with a pool table in the middle but below the speaker level. It sounds better than you might think.

As this is a RedNeck bar, I needed it to sound good at the bar and at the pool table.
It does that easily. The 400CD player on "shuffle" can rock the place with great sound for hours on end. The Rega TT is a fine instrument that can bring tears to your eyes.

I know this is not everyone's dream system, but I put it together with trial and error over time and it really does sound very good. =D>

Any upgrades might go along the route of Martin Logan ELS speakers and maybe another Sunfire. That would mean taking the speakers off the wall. Aiming them to cover the room would be tough unless I built stands for them to raise them above the pool table. I built most of what you see, so no problem.

Tonight on ebay, I have my eye on a used pair of Def Tec Mythos ST. If I can get them for the price of the new Martin Logans, I might!!! :lol:

REDNECK.jpg
REDNECK.jpg (80.27 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

PoolTable.jpg
PoolTable.jpg (208.33 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

BAR.jpg
BAR.jpg (194.22 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

BarTable.jpg
BarTable.jpg (192.19 KiB) Viewed 1094 times
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Re: OO ANALOG

More photos -- \:D/

RegaP5.jpg
RegaP5.jpg (189.17 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Speakers.jpg
Speakers.jpg (205.66 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

AnalogStand.jpg
AnalogStand.jpg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

AricAudioPre.jpg
AricAudioPre.jpg (207.09 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Thats a killer set up OO ! I love the CD and Record display and well' everything. Good job. =D> =D> =D>
<<

kingman

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Looking forward to the review and hearing the new pre!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 pm

This weekend works for me -- :)
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue May 24, 2011 7:42 pm

damn sweet looking room there chief. =D>
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 pm

You keep your stuff neat! I like that!
Cool room- and I do see some tubes poking there head out on that pre-amp. \:D/
Sweet!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Looks like a FANTASTIC place to spend some time/entertain, Bill! Can't wait to see it in September~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 25, 2011 1:23 am

Wow, Gotta say I love where your going with this! =D> TUBE PRE??? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ NICE!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 am

Cool setup. Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am

Yeah, cool "sound room", OO. Your pool table looks bigger than mine, but mine's prettier... :lol:

add: You mentioned something earlier about wanting a "large sweetspot" speaker system: The EPI 1000's would be just the thing for a large room like this: due to 360 degree dispersion they are "invisible" and you can't tell where they are located sonically. Plus the maple finish of mine would go very nicely with your pool table! :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 25, 2011 12:04 pm

elgrau wrote:Yeah, cool "sound room", OO. Your pool table looks bigger than mine, but mine's prettier... :lol:

add: You mentioned something earlier about wanting a "large sweetspot" speaker system: The EPI 1000's would be just the thing for a large room like this: due to 360 degree dispersion they are "invisible" and you can't tell where they are located sonically. Plus the maple finish of mine would go very nicely with your pool table! :lol:

Thanks guy -- send them to me - =D> =D>
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 pm

OO, that pool light looks HELLA familiar:

Also, I helped you with this drawing; your MAD MSPaint skills need work:

OOs_Redneck_Bar.jpg

....FYI, there's a REASON amphitheaters have been in use for thousand of years~ Good Planning!

BTW....what's the other half of your basement?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Thanks Gary.

The other half of the basement is crawl space. Well, you don't have to crawl. I have a few shelves in there to keep my power tools, bird seed and various junk.

Yea, we have the same table light. I ordered this table in years ago, but never play as I have no one to play with back here in the woods. It is a good solid slate table, but I guess I should move it out. I really thought the old farts around here would join in, but nope.

Here is what I started with. I think it looks a little better now.
Bar.jpg
Bar.jpg (163.04 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 25, 2011 10:55 pm

I might do that, but shipping (18" x 18" x 74" and ~180 lbs each) from CA to S.C. would be "prohibitive":

But I can send you the plans.... :lol:
Attachments
jse_100_0059.jpg
jse_100_0059.jpg (76.12 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
Next

Return to List / Update Your System