It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 am

Carver Plats vs. Martin Logan Vantage--*Help*

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Carver Plats vs. Martin Logan Vantage--*Help*

BillD wrote:
Don wrote:One of these days I am going to talk Bill D. into sending me a Legacy Marquis HD center channel to compare against my Plats if we can sharpen the pencil enough. If I like the blend of the Marquis HD center channel with my Whisper XD's over the Plats, I will keep you in mind. It is very hard to part with a family member that has been so good to me over the years. I suspect The Marquis HD will have a tall order.

http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?It ... item_id=11

Don
I think you've got the wrong guy. I wish I had the Legacy as a center, though. Maybe there's another Bill D. around. Maybe at Legacy?

Sorry Bill D. I should have specified Bill Dudleston, owner of Legacy Audio, who I also refer to as Bill D. It's raining Bill D's. :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 am

Don wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:HOLY FUCK...dual Plats as a center channel??? What in the hell do you use for Mains???!?!!????

Silly Wabbit,

These are what replaced my Plat's as mains after 18 years or so:

http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?It ... item_id=93

http://stereomojo.com/Legacy%20WhisperX ... Review.htm

SWEET! You must be doing pretty well....or you are single! :lol:
I think I may have 20K in my entire system! I would love to hear your setup!!! :shock:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 am

Chauss wrote:
Don wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:HOLY FUCK...dual Plats as a center channel??? What in the hell do you use for Mains???!?!!????

Silly Wabbit,

These are what replaced my Plat's as mains after 18 years or so:

http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?It ... item_id=93

http://stereomojo.com/Legacy%20WhisperX ... Review.htm

SWEET! You must be doing pretty well....or you are single! :lol:
I think I may have 20K in my entire system! I would love to hear your setup!!! :shock:

Come on, now; you've got more than $20k in those TUBE AMPS~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Don, what gear are running these? Congrats =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:00 pm

engtaz wrote:Don, what gear are running these? Congrats =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Roy,

Pulled my TFM-75 out of main amp duty with the 806X when I traded in my Legacy Focus on the Whisper XD's and moved them to the first story for a secondary system I am setting up. (Matt got married recently and moved out, so that space is now available to play with)

Currently running my Sunfire 400 X 7 in my HTR for amp related matters. Having said that, the Whisper XD's come with their own 500 watt ICE amps built in the cabinet enclosures for the woofers. Therefore, the Sunfire is just pushing the mids and highs. Split the center channel out of the pre amp section of Marantz and feed to two separate amp channels on the Sunfire. These separate two center channel amp feeds go to each Plat flanking the Sammy. Using two other Sunfire channels for PSB surround duty. Sub is 18 inch Velodyne which has it's own amp, of course. Use it for DVD concerts and movies. Therefore, left with one unused channel on Sunfire. Oppo 83 used for video and audio. Pretty much sums up audio equipment for HTR.

Don

Sorry guys and I know it is coming: No tubes
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Come on, now; you've got more than $20k in those TUBE AMPS~[/quote]

Nope...the most expensive part of my setup was the Apogee's - purchased those new with my Sunfire amp. I got a great deal on the tube amps on Audiogon. I spent @ $2200 that on the VTLs - used with brand new tubes and upgraded power supplies! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:54 am

Tell Matt I said congratulations. New wife mean no Carverfest for Matt? :lol: I'm glad your enjoying the new setup.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:05 am

engtaz wrote:Tell Matt I said congratulations. New wife mean no Carverfest for Matt? :lol: I'm glad your enjoying the new setup.

Roy,

I will tell him. He infoms me they are going to Carverfest. Only time will tell.
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
Previous

Return to Carver Speakers