FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:26 am

What to do with this equipment?

<<

MizzouKX

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

What to do with this equipment?

Hey ..... I'm new, but not really new. I was registered here in the past but due to computer changes and such had misplaced my login id and even my member name. But I'm back with a sad situation.

May 1st was a not-so-good day for me. A LARGE bolt of lighting decided to bounce around my back yard and in its wake left a lot of electronic destruction. Satellite receivers, phones, TV's, audio stuff and my three Carver components.

Carver CD changer SDA-390T
Carver Amplifier TFM-35
Carver Pre-Amp - Tuner CT-3

My local Stereo-Store evaluated the three components
CD Changer - line level output damaged
Tuner - weak output signal
Amp - voltage surge through line level inputs and damaged the input pre-amp and main amp circuits (I could smell that tell-tale electrical burned odor in the amp just after the lightning strike)

These were not detailed in-depth analyses but only to the point that they could justify to the insurance company that the damage was due to a lightning strike.

I'm now enjoying a new Panasonic 55" TCP55VT30 TV, new phones and computer. I'm replacing the Carver items with Marantz separates which should be here this weekend.

So ..... enough background info. What should I do with the Carver items? After a $2500 deductible I'm not in the mood to spend a lot of money to repair the Carver items which I'm not even sure it's possible to do ..... realistically.

Is there a market for blown up Carver stuff? Do I get what I can for it off eBay? Or do I take it to the dumpster at work?

Any input would be appreciated. I just can't bring myself to throw this stuff away.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:38 am

Re: What to do with this equipment?

First off, Welcome!! You'd be surprised what people are willing to pay for "dead" gear on ebay, especially if you have remotes, manuals etc. and the cosmetics are good. I'd say put them up for auction, especially the amp and CD player. Marantz? Should have gone with Sunfire!!! ](*,) Just kidding but not really! Good luck.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:42 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

WELCOME BACK~

I agree you should just put them on ebay in not working condition & see what you can pull.

The 390 CDP is a pretty rare bird. I'm guessing that could pull a few $$$....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Send to me for value analysis and I will send check for ascertained worth.... O:)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Welcome back to the forum. Sorry to hear about your equipment.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm

kingman wrote:Send to me for value analysis and I will send check for ascertained worth.... O:)

Lightning strikes twice -- :rolleyes:
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:37 pm

sorry to hear the loss. now just for fun, if you were willing to give or sell super, super cheap, the 35 might have a small snowballs chance of coming back to life as i have almost every componet that it uses. it might be fun to see if it just goes up in smoke, or if it would live again.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 pm

I'd estimate you might get ~$200 for all three on ePrey.... Just as "for parts" they worth that. Most of that $200 would come from the 390 (IMO).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:52 pm

"CD Changer - line level output damaged"

What does that mean? :?
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

MizzouKX

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I have to make another trip Saturday to the store for some more "stuff". I might get them to give me a rough repair estimate on the Carver items and then make my final decision. I just really hate to part with this stuff but I might have to bite the bullet and go the ebay route.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Ouch!

First off, I am sorry to hear about Mother Nature treating you like this. Same thing happened to me a while back, it's not fun. That said, if you don't mind me asking, what repair shop did you take it to and where are they located?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"

Return to List / Update Your System