FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:13 pm

Well SHIT... Sunfire Jr. Took a Dump :(....

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 am

Well SHIT... Sunfire Jr. Took a Dump :(....

Got to work today, threw on some tunes... and no bass... whf ???? :?

Pulled my little baby Sunfire Jr I keep under the desk, and gave it little tappy-tap, still nothing.
The power light was still on, so I checked the RCA's... still nothing.

So I decided to pop the lid and see if anything was wrong.

SHIT... :( :( :( :( :( :(
Looks like someone tried to cook some toast in my sub over night

And NO ONE is fixing these things right now. Bill said he can't work on them, but that Rita could fix them, (but now she's gone) and there are no schematics for it, and Sunfire won't touch them.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( I want my little baby back. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

DSC03093.JPG

DSC03094.JPG
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:47 am

Re: Well SHIT... Sunfire Jr. Took a Dump :(....

Not good at all.

Beemers and Aunders might be able to fix it. They fixed two of my True Subs.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:54 am

thuffman03 wrote:Not good at all.

Beemers and Aunders might be able to fix it. They fixed two of my True Subs.

Ditto!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:14 am

That sucks! Sorry to hear that. I've got a dead plate as well laying around and Bill told me the same thing. Rita really is the Master tech. She continually impressed me every time I brought something in or told her about a "problem." She always knew exactly what was wrong or what to look for on dozens of different items I brought to her. I hope she is doing well and rejoins the group soon!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:06 am

Talked to Bob this morning... I'm lighting a little fire under his ass to get a copy of the schematics....
He gave me the name of the company that makes the boards, They undoubtedly have them there...
Let's see if I can get a copy [-o<
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:34 am

Is it just the Jr no one is working on or the whole line of subs? I've been wanting to have my board checked out on my sub.
Carverfest 2010 quote...I can't explain it right now, I'm drunk...

GO BUCKEYES
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:38 am

Is that a piece of a 2SC3281 you're holding in the picture? Was that thing on a heat sink?
Spec Sheet.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:42 am

Yup, it blew apart I guess... It fell out when I pulled the plate amp out... ](*,)
If you look at the smaller burn marks on the right of the board, that is where it is located on the other side of the board. (Q-13 - Q-14)

Cool thing is, I have a 2nd Jr. here that I can figure out what resistors burned up too.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:46 am

Well shit is right!

Looks like you took out a couple of resistors and a couple ofdiodes. They are not surface mounted. If the diodes leaked or shorted, it could have fried the resistors. Your only hope for that board is if none of the surface mounted components were the cause of this. Regardless, you will need the schematics for without them, this Jr. has now been reduced to a nice looking doorstop.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am

bsturgeon89 wrote:Is it just the Jr no one is working on or the whole line of subs? I've been wanting to have my board checked out on my sub.

:-"

GO BUCKEYES
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:55 am

You'd have to call Bill.. he's the only one working on any of the subs. I know ho won't touch the Jr.s but I don't know if there are others he doesn't want to mess with wither or not.

I know Tom up in PA is starting to work on them, but as of yet, I haven't heard anyone having had a Jr fixed anywhere, except for maybe Rita in the past.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 pm

I know Bill can fix the original True sub plates, MKIIs MK-IVs, Signatures etc. I don't think he does the EQ versions though.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

bsturgeon89

TFM-55

Post Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:25 pm

jjptkd wrote:I know Bill can fix the original True sub plates, MKIIs MK-IVs, Signatures etc. I don't think he does the EQ versions though.

And that is what I have. An EQ model

GO BUCKEYES
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:57 pm

My POLK MicroPro 1000 will not produce music. It is getting power, so it is not the fuse.
Beyond that I have no clue.

Lucky I don't need it right now, but I hate that. ](*,)
No way I can pay shipping + repairs and come out ahead.
I envy you guys who have knowledge.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Suggestion...

Bill, have you tried calling Polk customer service? They can assist you with the MP1000. I used to have that sub back in the day but it has been to long for me to remember the things to look for when troubleshooting it. BTW, call. Don't e-mail.

Also, you will not have to ship the entire sub. If the issue can not be isolated and corrected over the phone, all you have to do is unscrew the plate amp and send that in. You don't have to send the entire sub. If it was purchased under an authorized Polk dealer and it is still under warranty then it won't cost you a dime to repair besides that of shipping the plate amp. If it isn't under warranty, then sign up at Club Polk and mention that you are a member of the forum to receive a discount [I think it's 5%...not sure] on your repair costs. Either way, this should help you to get it back up and running. It's too beautiful a sub to be just collecting dust.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum