FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:56 pm

What equipment does Bob Carver use?

<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: What equipment does Bob Carver use?

There were 4 pairs of the original Silvers made...Bob stated that two pairs were unaccounted for, Harry Pearson (The Absolute Sound) has a pair and he has a pair. This was disclosed at the second Q & A in Cabin 12..........There was never a Silver 6 and there were a couple pairs of Silver 8's......(I think thats right...maybe the opposite?)
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 pm

dyeraudio wrote:There were 4 pairs of the original Silvers made...Bob stated that two pairs were unaccounted for, Harry Pearson (The Absolute Sound) has a pair and he has a pair. This was disclosed at the second Q & A in Cabin 12..........There was never a Silver 6 and there were a couple pairs of Silver 8's......(I think thats right...maybe the opposite?)

IIRC Bob said there was a Silver 6. I believe it's pictured on the '92 Carver products catalogue.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Shure V15 type IIIG cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 am

-yes, i was under the influence that there was a silver 6...never heard of a silver 8 tho

-whilst talking to mr BC, [thankyou mr MR], 'he' had relayed that under 100 silver 7's [tubed] were made

-mr dyeraudio knew a guy [who moved to vegas] that owned 1 pair...an ex-dealer for carver from mi....mr dyeraudio posted pic of the 'dusty' units...thankyou mr da
-sombody sold a pair for 1000.oo on a forum back in '05 [broken]...might of been on here...i remember sir G1 was bummed out !!!
-a pair was sold on eprey , maybe 2 years back...i fwded the linky to here
-the 20 tuber only maybe 4pairs made [nobody knows the wherabouts of any !!!]...the rest were the 15 tubers...[retail was 17,000 or 18,000]...have 2 articles stating so...revered as the 'best all-time' amps, by reviewers
-i never saw the wooden pair that mr rainman posted on this thread...are them the laquer blacks w/ the wood floor reflecting off them to appear wooden ???

-maybe someday :lol:
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:23 pm

100 Silver-7 tube amps makes for 50 pairs. I've never heard of the Silver-8 either and since there were never any Silver-6s made, that only leaves the Silver-7 Mk-II to account for.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Did Mr. Bob happen to say how the new/raffle amps stack up against the original Silver 7s soundwise ? Or if and when another pair would be auctioned on ebay? :? I've been curious about whether a SPL meter was brought to CF08 and whether "earbleed" levels were the norm?
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:16 pm

-all i could find...daggnabbitt...this iz 'our' fearless leader sir G1

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthr ... ver+silver
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 pm

gdb wrote:Did Mr. Bob happen to say how the new/raffle amps stack up against the original Silver 7s soundwise ? Or if and when another pair would be auctioned on ebay? :? I've been curious about whether a SPL meter was brought to CF08 and whether "earbleed" levels were the norm?

gdb, when auditioning gear that was of the caliber that most everyone brought to Carverfest the meter used would have been an "SQL" meter (Q being quality) if there were such a thing. Don't get me wrong there were several systems on hand that could fill your house as well as your neighbors with great sounding music, but the goal was to please the ears not make them bleed. If SPL was the goal people would not have brought Carver AL platinums, Martin Logans, Apogee, Polk SDA's, and Linn's. They would have brought gear such as Cerwin Vega, Marshall, and Peavey. I will say however that most of the systems at the fest were more than capable of playing music at an SPL level that was up to the top edge of being pleasant to listen to. If you were able to demo most any system that was at the "Fest" I am fairly confident that your expectations of a killer system could possibly be a little different after it was all said and done. There are certain applications in which outstanding quality will seem like quantity until you hear quantity without quality. Sincerely,

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Rainman, I myself don't bury the needles when listening to music,but....most rock and roll needs to be played loud. I've read references to "live/performance level" playback by several posters here, and just wondered if at CFest anyone opened up their rig to the aforementioned levels. I wasn't imagining that it resembled a parking lot "blast off" !! :lol:
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:53 pm

I know what you mean when you say parking lot blast off... I have seen a few of these things titled as an IASCA event.
I guess what I should have said was no one wound their gear up to the point where distortion started or the output of their pre-amp was nearing square wave..... but trust me several of them were enough to simulate a live Joe Satriani performance in every room. :shock: :D

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

SteveFord

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:23 am

GDB,
Toymaker did crank it up - I made sure to stand pretty far away.
Upstairs:
VTL MB-250 Signature monoblocks, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, HHb BurnIt Plus, Well Tempered Labs Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD-9 Phono Preamp, Sherwood S3000-IV tuner, VPI-17, Jolida JD-100, AKG 701, Beyerdynamics 881, NHT SW1-P subwoofer and amp, Magnepan 1.6, APC H15
Downstairs:
VTL DeLuxe 300 Monoblocks, Harman Kardon F500x tuner, Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp, Jolida JD-100, Oppo 981, Otari MX5050 BII, SVS SB-12 subwoofer, Magnepan 3.6
In Storage:
Stax Sigma headphones, signed DTL unit, Magnepan MMGs, Carver TX-11, TX-11a's
<<

1044InProgress

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:52 pm

::Edited::

That's a great question.. I wonder why Bob doesnt take the time to answer himself?
Last edited by 1044InProgress on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Is he even a member of the forum?

Yes, he is.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:12 pm

As much as I like the guy...

He's a complete electronics genius.
But I think I saw him pick up his laptop and shake it once...
I asked him, "What are you doing"
He replied, "Trying to erase this damn thing"

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Not really, but that about sums it up, he HATES computers.
That old dog ain't learning this new trick. Trust me, I have TRIED to beat it into him.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:25 pm

And as for what Bob listens to.....
Well, TUBES of course !!!!

I LOVE the power strip and LAMP CORD speaker wire !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good to know he's really no better than any of us =D> =D> =D> =D>

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I think it is obvious Bob understands the WWW.

As before in his younger years, he is now a top salesman on the web.. Read his ebay stuff and you can see he already has a cult built up there.

The guy builds excellent stuff and knows how to put that fact on line.

Any joining in here or lack of it is not due to his ability to work the web.
PreviousNext

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend