FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:25 am

Using Carver TFM amps for passive subs.

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:47 am

Using Carver TFM amps for passive subs.

So here's the deal. I found a set of subs I want to purchase, but they are passives. Not a big deal, just need an amp to drive them.

That is where the problem is. The manufacture of the sub suggests the perfect number is something that does 1000 watts RMS and 2000 on short term peaks for the pair, or 500 watts RMS and 1000 per driver. I keep getting recommended to go with "pro-audio" amps like Behringer, Crown, ect, but personally want to stay within the Carver family if possible.

So here's the question: Whats the average going price for a TFM-45 as this seems to be the lowest model that would meet these criteria (bridged of course). I also see the TFM-75 is just about the only amp that I could run 2 of these subs off, but I have this feeling they are pretty rare and super expensive.

Also anyone have some suggestions for non-pro amps that would meet the above criteria?

Looking forward to hearing your guys thoughts since its kinda hard to find folks with lots of knowledge about Carver gear :D
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 am

Re: Using Carver TFM amps for passive subs.

I also see the TFM-75 is just about the only amp that I could run 2 of these subs off, but I have this feeling they are pretty rare and super expensive.
...yea...they are....what brand of sub you looking at??? That's alot of power needed.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 am

kingman wrote:
I also see the TFM-75 is just about the only amp that I could run 2 of these subs off, but I have this feeling they are pretty rare and super expensive.
...yea...they are....what brand of sub you looking at??? That's alot of power needed.

These are them: http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.p ... Itemid=131

They sell them w/ a Dayton amp that can drive both of them, but the problem is that I want to EQ each sub independent (in the long term). With the Dayton amp they sell I would end up with both subs EQ'd as one.

Craigsub (owner of that company) is working on a plate amp, but doesnt have one finished yet.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 am

I'd use the M1.0t

The best Carver amplifier I have used on a sub was a M1.0t. Please note that this was also paired with a Velodyne SMS-1 sub woofer management system. Seamless blending of frequencies from the mains to the sub and the rig to the room. Plenty of available balls that hit down to 20Hz faithfully at concert levels. The only other Carver amplifier(s) I would consider for sub duty would be the 9t or 7t mono block amplifiers but I have not had those in the rig.

This amp/sub setup was featured at the 2nd Carverfest with my rig that was [at the time] called "crackbaby". The folks that attended that year can attest to it's capabilities.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:38 am

Re: I'd use the M1.0t

treitz3 wrote:The best Carver amplifier I have used on a sub was a M1.0t.

That does also look like a good option as well. Looks like I will have to keep my eyes out for them.

I would be eventually pairing this with Audyseey XT32 on either a future Marantz (since their highest model only has XT currently) or a Integra, or Onkyo.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:41 am

the amp that would do the job....

PT2400

contact the seller and see if ya can swing a deal

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?r ... 86.c0.m283
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:56 am

I want these.....

8)
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:59 am

HRDROKN wrote:I want these.....

8)

Yup, I want to eventually get 4 "maybe" but want to get 2 to start w/ so I can put them on either side wall, or in the apartment I am in now, in either corner of my room.

Dont need to crank it, but want uniform sub coverage.

These would be just a "little" step up from my single PSW125 lol....
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:01 pm

treitz3 wrote:The best Carver amplifier I have used on a sub was a M1.0t. Please note that this was also paired with a Velodyne SMS-1 sub woofer management system. Seamless blending of frequencies from the mains to the sub and the rig to the room. Plenty of available balls that hit down to 20Hz faithfully at concert levels. The only other Carver amplifier(s) I would consider for sub duty would be the 9t or 7t mono block amplifiers but I have not had those in the rig.

This amp/sub setup was featured at the 2nd Carverfest with my rig that was [at the time] called "crackbaby". The folks that attended that year can attest to it's capabilities.

That's cool..... the M1.0 (MKII) is what I plan on using for my sub when I get to that point.
HRDROKN
MC-7P tube preanp, BBE2002R, Marchand XM44, TFM-35x .002, TFM-35x, M1.0t MKII .002, M500t, Silver 7t's, SDA-360 and Klipsch KLF-30's w/crites crossovers...
<<

HRDROKN

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:03 pm

EndersShadow wrote:
Yup, I want to eventually get 4 "maybe" but want to get 2 to start w/ so I can put them on either side wall, or in the apartment I am in now, in either corner of my room.

:shock:

You want to run a pair of 18" subs in an apartment? Did I get that right?
HRDROKN
<<

kingman

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:51 pm

..Eviction notice..... :-" :-" :-"
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Lease breaking... :lol:
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm

HRDROKN wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:

:shock:

Hehehehe.... yup you got that right...

But not really loud or anything, but that way when we buy a house I am already equipped for the HT room \:D/
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:53 pm

treitz3 wrote:The best Carver amplifier I have used on a sub was a M1.0t.......

HRDROKN wrote:That's cool..... the M1.0 (MKII) is what I plan on using for my sub when I get to that point.
Even better. Absolutely no change in sonics whatsoever but when it comes to available power? She doesn't back down to a challenge. You just keep turning it up and up and up and up.

[Note: I have seen one report of a MKII that has gone belly up and it has been reported to me that a couple more beyond that have gone belly up as well. Not knocking, just informing]
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:55 pm

Along the same lines of this thread --
I don't have a sub or need a sub in my TT system as the mains handle it.

Still, I have 3 channels going wasted there on my 400x5.
How could I make use of that wasted power on a passive sub? I see those subs in the photo are not too high, and look very hard core - 8)
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)