FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 pm

Using Carver TFM amps for passive subs.

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: Using Carver TFM amps for passive subs.

OconeeOrange wrote:Along the same lines of this thread --
I don't have a sub or need a sub in my TT system as the mains handle it.

Still, I have 3 channels going wasted there on my 400x5.
How could I make use of that wasted power on a passive sub? I see those subs in the photo are not too high, and look very hard core - 8)

Makes me wonder if I step up to a Cinema Grand Signature Series II 5 channel amp and use it for my front 3 (Polk LSi's) and then use the other 2 channels for 2 passive subs and run my surrounds off my Integra DTR 5.9.

So thinking out loud about how I would possibly EQ the subs using my current gear. Would I run the LFE to something like a SMS-1 and split it from there to 2 channels on the amp, and from the amps to the passives....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:21 pm

You can't have everything, all the time. IF you don't stress every channel of the multi-channel amps, they will treat you right. But realized you can't expect the maximum from every channel at once; it's just not physically possible. There are @ 1800 watts available from a 15 amp circuit, IF it's dedicated. That's IF the amplification device is at or near 100% efficient (which it isn't). If you want to run 50-60% power out of all channels simultaneously, then you're probably going to be just fine.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:30 pm

TNRabbit wrote:You can't have everything, all the time. IF you don't stress every channel of the multi-channel amps, they will treat you right. But realized you can't expect the maximum from every channel at once; it's just not physically possible. There are @ 1800 watts available from a 15 amp circuit, IF it's dedicated. That's IF the amplification device is at or near 100% efficient (which it isn't). If you want to run 50-60% power out of all channels simultaneously, then you're probably going to be just fine.

Yeah, right now its mostly low level listening. I havent ever maxed out the Carver 705x I have, and its got a bunch less wpc than any of the amps I am looking at.

I would more than likely be at 50-60 % volume MAX, and honestly be closer to 30-40.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:36 pm

The question here is.....how LOUD do you NEED to play it??? I would think 90-100db should be plenty loud enough.....much more than that and you will damage your hearing over time. 1000W should be good for @ 140db unless the speaker is REALLY inefficient. Maybe you need to look at some more efficient speakers?
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:44 pm

Good point.

More efficient and accurate sub you say? Check out the VMPS Larger. NASA approves it for all frequencies at 104Db down to 20Hz faithfully. Why wouldn't you?

BTW, if you want it to dig to 10 Hz and not be as accurate? You can do that as well but you will need the insane amount of available power you have been seeking.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:12 pm

I dont need it that loud so honestly using 2 channels of the Grand Cinema Signature might just solve my problem TBH.

Get a great 5 channel amp, and then let the AVR handle ALL surrounds, and the amp my front 3 + both subs.
<<

TFM Carmine

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:01 pm

i'm running a tfm 55 bridged to my sub and this folded horn pounds really hard
CT-29v,TFM-55, PM 1200
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:04 pm

i have had a tfm35 to 55 on 4-12" woofers for almost 16 or so years.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)