FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:46 am

Carver AL-III idea, and..

<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Carver AL-III idea, and..

CArver AL-III idea; may work well for you Platinum, and Silver owners too.

I'm thinking about converting my AL-III's into true dipoles for the bass as well as the ribbon, and eliminating the subwoofer box.

Take a look at the Tymphany LAT-700 sub woofer. It has some unique design aspects, and it's specs look like it could be massaged into dipole use pretty easily. It's only 8 1/2 inches wide, and looks COOL! I mean COOL!!!!!

We'd want to add wings, sides really, on the bottom of the AL-III to extend the low end, and to act as a support for the speaker too. You Platinum/Silver guys already have the width.

Qts. is .65, so some crossover tweaking will be called for, at the expense of efficiency. Alternatively, it could simply be bi amped and equalized actively. An extreme measure, well for me, is to use it as intended, and just load the rear wave into the sub woofer box. That wouldn't be nearly as much fun, and loses the benefits of dipole radiation. Besides all of that..these things look COOL!!

Just think about it!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: Carver AL-III idea, and..

Kinda confused. An al3 with bipole woofers would just be a set of silvers right ?
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:52 pm

Not all all. These things are unlike anything you've seen before. Google search them - "Tymphany LAT-700", also look at images. There is also a youTube video on them.

What makes them suitable for the AL-II is the narrow width, meaning that a few minutes with a reciprocating saw, combined with a lot of guts, and you could have something out of a science fiction movie.

I don't like the bottom firing sub woofer, although the panels themselves have good quality's for the ribbon response.
Besides, dipoles sound better when they are mated with dipoles. So..
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm

If your gonna do that I wouldn't even use the passive crossovers. I'd go active for sure. I think you should try it.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm

the lat setup that alpine used/uses (don't know)
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes, like the Alpine. I think the Alpine uses the LAT500 though.
<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:12 pm

A little late to the party, but I just saw Madisound has the 700's on sale for $209. ($250 discount...)

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/lat/tymphany-lat700-8/8-ohm-4-ohm-in-parallel/

-Paul
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:10 pm

I can understand wanting to change the ALS but with Plats or Silvers we already have full dipole and my amazing go low enough for me.

Why would I want to mess with that ?
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:49 pm

If you were going to go to dipole......wouldnt a H frame work better for the llls ?
Mind you a single OB 12" sub wouldnt get you much I suppose....
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Doesn't the AL III top and btm "detach" for shipping? That way the speakers could ultimately be restored to "original" condition in the future.....I would just build a new base in an H frame like PDR said....if you want it to be a true dipole. There are many speakers out there to fit the bill for that- search on "infinite baffle".

Cheers!~
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Return to Carver Speakers