FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Need help from those that received drivers from Dynavox

<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Need help from those that received drivers from Dynavox

The drivers I received had a larger diameter due to an angle on the basket and did not come close to fitting in my Plats. They also only had two spades per speaker.

Can anyone confirm that thiers had 4 spades like the originals and a straight edge on the basket?

Thanks!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Need help from those that received drivers from Dynavox

I don't know what they are shipping now but when I got replacements for my Silvers (3 years ago) they were EXACTLY the same as the existing woofers.

I would call them and see what they say.
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 pm

They received them back last week. They told me via email I need to alter the cabs and S.O.L. on the spades.

I told them there were folks on the form that had received/installed Dynavox drivers and the only issue I recalled seeing was the mounting holes not quite lining up.

As it stands right now, they say they sent the correct driver but Jose' is checking into it.

THANKS Frankie!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I can verify when I replaced mine, fit right in. Maybe a hole or two was off 1/32 of an inch, but other than that, slipped right in existing space. Plat 4's
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks Don!!!
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm

I'd say you got the wrong drivers. Even if that's what they now call "replacements" I'd call bullshit and get my $$$ back.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:06 pm

It seems they received an entire lot like this. Wonder how many that is?

Yes, they tried to pass them off as direct replacements and get me to eat it, BUT they are now admitting there is an issue.

They are asking about the condition of my drivers. Makes me wonder if they might be thinking about getting some surrounds sent over here so they could repair mine???? :-k
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Here is their offer:

"To resolve your complaint, we suggest:
(1) We can replace/modify the double spade terminals here for the 8 pcs you've returned;
(2) You need to modify your cabinet a bit by enlarging the cut-out for the drivers, as this driver doesn't fit "all" Carver productions.

As an alternative, we can also rebuild your existing drivers by transposing the cone, spider & voice coil from those WP-1220 into your old drivers. However, you need to also send us back your drivers."

What say ye?
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:37 pm

I wouldn't modify the speaker cabinets. Sounds like a bunch of shit to me but I don't think there's any other options available at this time. Sorry!!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm

but if i were to build a set from scratch, it would not mater to me. where did you get them from, and maybe there is a open box specail on them now.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:19 pm

so if iwere to buy eight, which ones would i want ? is there a preference? i was going to use an electronic x over with those new 60" ribbons the guy is selling in another thread. is honeycomb just that fad look, i would think the paper drivers would sound better, but i am open to sudjestion.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Planerguy

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:47 pm

I'd go with the offer to rebuild yours, from their parts. Thar's as close to a real drop-in replacement as you are going to find!
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 am

angelod307 wrote:so if iwere to buy eight, which ones would i want ? is there a preference? i was going to use an electronic x over with those new 60" ribbons the guy is selling in another thread. is honeycomb just that fad look, i would think the paper drivers would sound better, but i am open to sudjestion.

If your not using the passive crossover, you aren't tied to the honeycomb woofers. Go with the cones.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:04 am

I got my replacement drivers about four years ago. they fit fine, but there were only two spade connectors on each driver, not four like the originals. I just soldered the wires to the single spade connectors and they work fine.
Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:51 am

Thoughts on this subject....

Hey Jim, it is of my stance that if they are selling OEM woofers, then they need to do just that. If their supplier makes a bad batch or ships them something that isn't correct? That's their problem. You ordered new, not rebuilt. Speakers are mechanical and mechanical things wear. For the price they are selling them for [2X what the price was 3 years ago], you deserve OEM.

Nothing less. Oh, they should also take down the woofers being advertised as OEM until they get the drivers corrected. Keep us informed and thanks for letting the Carver forum know that you have encountered an issue.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Next

Return to Carver Speakers