FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:07 am

FINAL ALS Speaker "Base Design" (see page 4)

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 am

FINAL ALS Speaker "Base Design" (see page 4)

There are 2 main reasons the original concept base is out the window.
1) it was way too small. It needs to be at least twice the original size I drew it.
2) the material cost of a single part that big....

I've been working about 12 hours a day for all this week tweaking and refining my drawings and designs... I think I am finally happy with this base design.
I have gone through probably 30+ different renditions of the base for these speakers.

There have been a few major problems, that have made this base one of the hardest parts I have ever designed.
1st off, is the fact that it has to be big enough to keep the 8' tall towers from being pushed over too easily, and at the same time, keeping the base small enough to be ascetically pleasing (a 4" wide speaker with a 24" square base would look just ridiculous!)

Another issue is the fact that any part over 12" wide will cost TWICE the price for the materials alone. Aluminum "mini-plate" comes up to 12" wide at a reasonable price. As soon as you go over 12" the price almost doubles, when you have to go to a "sheet" (4 feet wide or more) So keeping the parts under 12" was pretty important. Also "shipping"... a 4" speaker with an 18" fixed base would NOT be very easy to pack and ship.
Oh-yeah... and it has to hold the 120 POUND speaker, without bending or breaking the base, AND have adjustable feet ](*,)

So, the final design (for now at least) is made up of (3) parts. The main center section will be fixed to the extrusion in production, and the 2 front feet, can be installed by the customer with 6 bolts, before standing them up. I still have some "fine-tuning" to do to this design before any real parts will be made, but this is about 95% correct and finished.

Here's want I have to show for 100+ hours of revamping a design over the last 6 months ](*,)

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:12 am

Re: New Base Design Update

You can see just how little room there will be inside the extrusion, with it removed.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:47 am

Re: New ALS Speaker "Base Design" Update

Sa-wheat! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:13 am

Swe----------------et!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:39 am

Chauss wrote:Sa-wheat! :D

You guys are a riot~

I like it, James. The only thought I had when you said it need to be under 12" ...was to go 12" out each direction with separate parts & bolt them individually into the bottom. Have you tried the 3 feett in practice? They can be a little "tippy"...

Also, you should consider an option along the back for wall mounting....

But looks impressive!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:47 am

Yeah, plan on cutting a scrap sample today, and see how well it will stand on its own.
I already have a 2nd (4 legged) design already drawn up in case the "tripod" does not work.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 am

Looks nice.

Hadn't really thought about this until now [convenient, I know...] but how are you going to support all the weight to the base?

Also, is this still going to allow the same height from floor to tweeter? Looks like you are at around 3 or more inches give or take.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:43 am

This design will take the weight.... 3/4" thick aluminum plate and 1.5" dia spikes 8)

It is about 3" from the floor to the bottom of the 1st ribbon.
Need to have some clearance for those with carpet.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 am

Oh, I do not doubt that. I should have clarified a little bit more. I meant, how are you going to couple the base to the chassis? Think this, if someone is picking up the speaker by the feet only and another person grabs the top of the speaker....
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 am

Looks cool- but, just a question-
Would a 4 legger give more "tippage" stability? ( X ) or maybe even better a solid broad base that bolts on. (Granite or something classy with spikes) Just a thought....some folks do have kids and pets and such. /\ Just appears vulnerable to tilt / fall at a 45 deg angle if bumped hard especially if hit above midpoint in the vertical plane. <---Don't shoot me - I know you worked hard on your design. O:)

Only testing will tell the real story- unless your software has simulation capabilities...
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:31 pm

SWEE....T!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:45 pm

Looks a bit like a Klingon Bird of Prey to me... Very cool James. Cannot wait to see them.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm

treitz3 wrote:Oh, I do not doubt that. I should have clarified a little bit more. I meant, how are you going to couple the base to the chassis? Think this, if someone is picking up the speaker by the feet only and another person grabs the top of the speaker....

(3) 1/4-20 bolts that will go through the 3/4" plate, and 2" into the extrusion... Remember the extrusion was engineered with the screw bosses already built in. (work smart, not hard)

Chauss wrote:Looks cool- but, just a question-
Would a 4 legger give more "tippage" stability? ( X ) or maybe even better a solid broad base that bolts on. (Granite or something classy with spikes) Just a thought....some folks do have kids and pets and such. /\ Just appears vulnerable to tilt / fall at a 45 deg angle if bumped hard especially if hit above midpoint in the vertical plane. <---Don't shoot me - I know you worked hard on your design. O:)

Only testing will tell the real story- unless your software has simulation capabilities...

GOD NO... No Fugly "Pad" going under these speakers !!!!
45 degrees ?? Go see how far you have to tilt your speakers forward before they want to fall. 15-30 degrees max I'm sure 45 degrees is an unrealistic number
Platinums will fall if you tilt them 5-10 degrees forward.

Keep in mind... Not only do you have to "tip" them, but you also have to apply enough force to LIFT the 120lbs at the same time.
You basically have to lift 120 pound 1st, as you try to push it to it's tipping point. Not an easy thing to do. Gravity is my friend =D>

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:Looks a bit like a Klingon Bird of Prey to me... Very cool James. Cannot wait to see them.

Cylon -ish actually... I noticed it when I was looking at the top view

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:53 pm

The 45 degrees I was speaking of is in the X-Y axis when looking straight on at the speaker (front view)- not tilting them 45 degrees. That would seem to be the easiest point to knock them over from...that is what I was trying to convey.

Next

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"