yes what rainman said....
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: High line voltage issues at Carverfest

mbskeam wrote:this took about 2 min to find.....

http://www.ncuc.commerce.state.nc.us/nc ... ulstoc.htm

chapter 8
page 11 and 12
on page 12 see sec: B sub sec:1

(b) In order to promote harmony between the service of electric suppliers and the utilization voltage requirements of presently manufactured equipment, the following service voltage variations are permitted:
(1) For service rendered for individual residential use or specifically for lighting purposes, the voltage variations shall not exceed five percent (5%) above or below the standard base voltage.

I dont think 134V falls within the plus/minus 5%.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

this page has the phone number to call, in the lower left corner......

hint...hint.... :D :D :D
Thank you for this post Mike. I just got off the phone with the owner of the cabins and he said our conversation was, and I quote, "enlightening". There is definitely some things going on behind the scenes both here and at the cabins and the power company [Duke Power] to address these issues. A class action lawsuit is also not out of the realm of possibility either. Time will tell on that.

It seems as if we are not the only folks that have an issue with the power that is provided to the cabins and at this point, Duke is denying that there is an issue. That is easily solved. The cabins will be recording the sine waves as well as incoming voltage in the coming months to prove to Duke Power that there is an issue that needs to be addressed. Once this is done, they will be forced to address the issue. I thank Tim for his time, money and efforts as well as his willingness to work with us to get this issue resolved.

Hang tight and when I know something, you folks will be the first to know. Hopefully, by next year's CF, there will be the great voltage we once had in year's past and no blown tubes or amplifiers.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Just in case they don't fix the voltage, I found a great deal on a UPS power conditioner:

APC S15 in silver for $300 shipped

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/ ... ite_search

This thing has an MSRP of $1500 and retails for $800.

It has voltage regulation:

The transformer in the unit automatically regulates power, allowing the S-type to correct brownouts and over voltages between 90-144 volts to within 5% of 120 volts. If the power goes outside this range the battery back-up will kick in to keep your system safely up and running.

I picked one up and it is really nice. It will be put into one of my systems this weekend.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:06 am

Still waiting....

Just an update...they are still working with Duke Power about the issues concerning the voltage. ](*,)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:20 am

thuffman03 wrote:Just in case they don't fix the voltage, I found a great deal on a UPS power conditioner:

APC S15 in silver for $300 shipped

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/ ... ite_search

This thing has an MSRP of $1500 and retails for $800.

It has voltage regulation:

The transformer in the unit automatically regulates power, allowing the S-type to correct brownouts and over voltages between 90-144 volts to within 5% of 120 volts. If the power goes outside this range the battery back-up will kick in to keep your system safely up and running.

I picked one up and it is really nice. It will be put into one of my systems this weekend.

I have the J version of that; my Sunfire UR would shut it down~

It wont' pass sufficient current at full tilt.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 am

My Signature Sunfires don't work well with it either. I use it for my pre, cd and other stuff.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm

mbskeam wrote:still,... 128-130V is out off spec....
the power company needs to fix this......

here is some reading...

I'll use my state law, most states have this....
or the power companys would be runnin amok....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx ... 80-100-373
this one says 5% max or 8% total plus/minus....

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx ... 80-100-378

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_was_120V_ ... er_voltage

so what is the law in NC????

if the law is close to this, then the electric Co may not be aware they are outa spec....
but I bet they do know and dont care..... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

That may be the law but I can tell you that Snohomish County (immediately north of where mbskeam is) PUD crowds 130 V power line mains frequently...
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:32 am

Thank you Watershed Cabins!!!

Just an update for those folks that have not arrived at the 'fest yet. All cabins tested so far have had perfect incoming voltage with no known voltage drift. Everything measured so far has been right on track at in between 119VAC and 122VAC, depending on the individual outlet at the cabins. To boot, the owners of the cabins called Duke Energy and had them come out the day we arrived to re-check the voltage at all six transformers that provide power to all of the cabins.

Now get this......just in case the power was drifting or off for the 'fest, the owners of the cabins went out and purchased a power regulator/battery backup unit for each cabin at no cost to the members attending. THAT, my friends, is going well above the call of duty and is almost unheard of in today's business world. It gets even better. Those who would like to take these units home with them, they can do so at a cost of only $100.00 per unit. How 'bout that? 8)

It turns out that they have had some rather serious voltage issues. In working with the owners, we developed a plan that could get this fixed. The #1 thing that made Duke Energy get off their ass and admit they had a problem was a couple of months ago when a recorder was placed on the incoming voltage. It actually recorded worse voltage than we had last year at CF. Apparently the recorder showed that the incoming voltage was dipping down to 80 and as high as [EDIT]180VAC! Holy crap! No wonder we were blowing tubes left and right last year.

I would just like to take the time out to say a personal and collective thank you from the Carverfest attendees to Watershed Cabins for working with me, following up, staying on the ball and then going well above the call of duty to get this issue resolved. Your time spent on this is appreciated more than you know, especially knowing about the kind of winter you had up here this winter.

<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 am

"the incoming voltage was dipping down to 80 and as high as 120VAC"

I thought 120 was pretty much the standard...weren't you seeing 130 VAC last year?
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:59 am

Allow me to clarify....

Sorry about that.....haven't had my morning coffee yet. That was a typo - It went up to 180VAC and dipped down to as low as 80VAC. Thanks for spotting that, Gary. Last year, Jerry had 139 in his cabin at one point. I believe his was the highest of all of the cabins last year...

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:10 am

119.8-120.2V as of 9:10 am... :D :D :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:21 am

Wow....180 is CRAZY! Sounds like the electrical version of the Slinky Effect....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

ekog

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:43 am

That’s great! It sounds like the owners are doing everything they can to make sure everything goes well for Carverfest! =D> :D
Main System Setup:
Pre: Carver C2 | Amp: Carver M-500t|Equilizer: Sansui SE99|Speakers: Polk SDA2’s
Source: Tuner: Carver TX-2| Phono: Technics SL-1210 MkII with a Ortofon VMS 20E Mk II| DirecTV DVR | Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc player | Samsung DVD/VHS player

Second System Setup:
Receiver: Yamaha RXV867| Fronts: Klipsch F-30's |Sub: Klipsch SW-112
Source: Radio |Internet/Network | Sony CDP-70 CD player
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:52 am

Re: Thank you Watershed Cabins!!!

treitz3 wrote:Just an update for those folks that have not arrived at the 'fest yet. All cabins tested so far have had perfect incoming voltage with no known voltage drift. Everything measured so far has been right on track at in between 119VAC and 122VAC, depending on the individual outlet at the cabins. To boot, the owners of the cabins called Duke Energy and had them come out the day we arrived to re-check the voltage at all six transformers that provide power to all of the cabins.

Now get this......just in case the power was drifting or off for the 'fest, the owners of the cabins went out and purchased a power regulator/battery backup unit for each cabin at no cost to the members attending. THAT, my friends, is going well above the call of duty and is almost unheard of in today's business world. It gets even better. Those who would like to take these units home with them, they can do so at a cost of only $100.00 per unit. How 'bout that? 8)

It turns out that they have had some rather serious voltage issues. In working with the owners, we developed a plan that could get this fixed. The #1 thing that made Duke Energy get off their ass and admit they had a problem was a couple of months ago when a recorder was placed on the incoming voltage. It actually recorded worse voltage than we had last year at CF. Apparently the recorder showed that the incoming voltage was dipping down to 80 and as high as [EDIT]180VAC! Holy crap! No wonder we were blowing tubes left and right last year.

I would just like to take the time out to say a personal and collective thank you from the Carverfest attendees to Watershed Cabins for working with me, following up, staying on the ball and then going well above the call of duty to get this issue resolved. Your time spent on this is appreciated more than you know, especially knowing about the kind of winter you had up here this winter.

Thanks for the update Tom. Kudos to all of those involved to correct this problem.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

Post Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks for the info....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
PreviousNext

Return to CARVERFEST 2011