FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:15 pm

AL-lll in a surround system

<<

67ih4x4x4

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:53 pm

AL-lll in a surround system

Has anyone used AL-lll's for front and/or rear in a surround system? I am thinking of trying my AL-ll's for front channels. I may have a line on another set, but I'm not sure they would work well for rear surround. Any thoughts?
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Re: AL-lll in a surround system

I have no experience with amazings as surrounds but they should work fine.

Being dipoles with sound front & back should be better for ambiance I would think.

Bob would tell you "try it and see".
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Normally have Plat's in the front w/ALIII's in the rear but the Plats are down for woofer repair, so I've currently got ALIII's in front and back. Sounds great.

VMPS LRC for a center works pretty darn good.
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:15 pm

If you can make it happen - - YES --- do it.
I'm sure there are at least a couple members here who already have.
Just make sure you have the proper Carver power to back them up!!! :D
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:07 pm

67ih4x4x4 wrote:Has anyone used AL-lll's for front and/or rear in a surround system? I am thinking of trying my AL-ll's for front channels. I may have a line on another set, but I'm not sure they would work well for rear surround. Any thoughts?

Yes, but I have to search to find that.

Actually, better speakers are better speakers, but BOB claims you don't need so much at the rears.
A good processor puts the heavy load on the mains, and the dialog on the center. The others do less.

I suspect it is better if the others are quality, but above what is needed there, will not be heard. It is cool though to have all that.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:28 pm

I have a set as the rears, but they are very directional, so they almost need to be aimed in from the corners at about 45deg... or to intersect with your listening area....
I had a tfm45 on them it would hardly move the needle unless it was REALLY LOUD and then maybe 50watts or so....
gone back to 2 channel, I find surround funky sounding....
now I have a set of al3 just sitting.... :cry:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm

mbskeam wrote:I have a set as the rears, but they are very directional, so they almost need to be aimed in from the corners at about 45deg... or to intersect with your listening area....
I had a tfm45 on them it would hardly move the needle unless it was REALLY LOUD and then maybe 50watts or so....
gone back to 2 channel, I find surround funky sounding....
now I have a set of al3 just sitting.... :cry:

Yeah, me too.
I have good mains, a good sub and the sound is great for video. Actually, depending on the movie, sound comes from everywhere.
<<

67ih4x4x4

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts guys. The room in question is 30x50 so it seems like a larger set of speakers in the rear will not be as much overkill as usual .
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:14 pm

why i have been doing it almost since new with front and rear al3's. it's the center channel that is so much harder to intergrate sonically.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:29 pm

67ih4x4x4 wrote:The room in question is 30x50

You charge for tickets at the door? :shock:
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:30 pm

angelod307 wrote:why i have been doing it almost since new with front and rear al3's. it's the center channel that is so much harder to intergrate sonically.

The Sunfire CRM-2c & CRS-3c work very well with the AL-IIIs.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:32 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:BOB claims you don't need so much at the rears.
A good processor puts the heavy load on the mains, and the dialog on the center. The others do less.

I suspect it is better if the others are quality, but above what is needed there, will not be heard. It is cool though to have all that.

I've been running Chorus IIs for rears and agree that it's a total waste for movies.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:00 am

The best is to have all the speakers the same (at least with the same timbre). The noise generator that you use to set the loudness of each speaker relative to the others is a good place to listen for timbre. The SHHHHHH should sound the same from each speaker. If it doesn't, your speakers aren't timbre matched.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

67ih4x4x4

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:48 am

First of all nothing special about the room, pole barn house = lots of space low frills. I have looked at the cm series a little. They look good and I thought the ribbons would tie in good together , but the price for three is a little steep . Thats why i'm thinking of AL-lll's for the rear and maybe one cm for the center. One interesting thing I have found is a lot of the reviews prefer the regular cm for the center channel over the cm-c which is made just for the center.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 am

Using good speakers for the rears in a 5.1 system--especially ones that are tonally matched to your main fronts and center--can ONLY make your system sound better.

Especially with BluRay movies which have true 5.1 soundtracks that are not compressed (regular DVDs massively compress the audio track...). If you have a CD player that can read 5.1 SACDs, you will notice a big improvement with good rear speakers too.

When I got a pair of Martin Logan Scenarios for the rear of my 5.1 rig (Sequels up front, Logos center), the improvement was NOT subtle for BluRay and SACD playback...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)