FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:06 am

Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

Re: Need low-budget power amp for AL-III Plus's

kirstenj wrote:I was looking through the "It's too loud" forum and my agenda is maybe a bit different than some others. While I like loud music, I am going to protect what hearing I have left, need to protect the babies hearing as she goes through speak development phase, and am respectful of my neighbors right to live in peace. What I'm after is enough juice that the AL-III's sound great at nominal (sometimes louder) levels. I do like to play them loud enough to hear through the entire 1500 sq ft rambler we live in. Currently they are missing the "brightness". Note that I don't care for too bright a sound, as I found out with my car's set of Focals, but the Carvers right now are flat when compared to the newly acquired hts speakers. However, the Carver's still sound much fuller, as in a "the room has sound" kind of way, not where you hear the music coming from a spot like you do with the hts speakers. So... am I overshooting the power thing with a Sunfire 300 for my needs? i.e. Interested in quality (and a little loud) sound.

negetaive on the over shoot. if i had to describe it, i would say the al's and the sunfire's are soul mates. they are so much finer sounding than the carver amps i have, and it has only been contended now by the 400wpc seven channel sunfire i just got. not enough time on that amp though to give a real honest comparison as of yet, but at low volumes i liked what i heard. keep in mind the amp is newer, and three times that of the 2 channel from the same guy named bob. as time goes by, he keeps uping the ante with his products.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

kirstenj

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 pm

angelod307 wrote:negetaive on the over shoot. if i had to describe it, i would say the al's and the sunfire's are soul mates.

Awwwwwsome! Looking forward to a hearing.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 pm

you can never have to much power...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 am

Chauss wrote:kirstenj- if it helps any.....I have used a Sunfire 300 x 2 to drive my Apogees for 20 yrs without even thinking about "upgrading".
The amp is competitive with amps costing 5 to 10 times as much! :D Has NEVER even ran hot and the load of an Apogee speaker can be quite taxing on many high powered amps!

Good luck on your decision and good listening!

Cheers~

You can trust Garfield above. =D>

Your original post was to upgrade from a 100 watt receiver for under $500. My posts were aimed at that $500 goal. I stand by them. More is always better, but for $500 these were the best.

Here, people are eat up with OCCD as am I, and now I suspect you are too. ](*,)
(Buy the Corvette, not the Prius). Looking over the thread, all have been spot on, but most have not been in you stated budget. I do understand women reserve the right to change their mind.

All the amps covered here on this thread are an upgrade from what you have apparently been happy with for many years. \:D/ To say that this or that one can not pull the load better than what you are used to is funny.

Most now listed here cost more than your original goal of $500, which was not a good goal, but what you stated.
Since you were kinda OK with what you had before, even my favorite Carver -> 400T would be a huge step up.

Sure, if you have the $$, buy more.
None here will argue that the Sunfire 600/etc cannot carry the load.

You can't get those for $500, but you can buy better than what you have for that.

That does not mean that other less expensive amps mentioned here are not a big improvement on your present system. The difference will be apparent.

Idiots here (like me) sit, listen and sometimes concentrate on the music. Bob says it is best to do that in a dark room for optimum enjoyment. 8)

OCCD says bust your budget. That is good advice as opposed to constantly upgrading. Most here (like me) buy cheap, then upgrade.
Buying better to start with is the best way in any hobby as it saves money in the long run. Few do that, and I bet no one on this forum has not bought less, been completely happy and never upgraded.

SunFire might not actually be Bob's best work.
He sill lives, and is back into the tubes he abandoned years back with a million new ways to improve the sound.

The bottom line is not just $$, but also prestige.
It goes way beyond blind testing amps in a dark room.

If you want the best - Bob's new Tube Amps are for you.

You talk about rooms and zones.
2 channel stereo nuts like me are not yet ready for that. Music about the house and yard is hard to consider for most here. Some/all may have it, but none here consider that real music. To appreciate/enjoy music, one sits in a chair that is dialed in. We all like to dance around to tunes. I do that too often on the boat, the deck, the dock, but while it is fun, not proper for your speakers as they require ???. Just being funny as this has become a funny thread. It is important though. How often will you be sitting there just listening to music? Not many do that. A $500 amp can fill the room with good music and the rest can be spent on the kid.

For good stereo, you don't have zones, you sit in a chair with a cold bottled water/etc and enjoy. Part of the enjoyment is looking at the gear. If I keep working at that, someday I too will be an audiophile.

Young guys are falling out of the trees to help you. Not many women are members and none post regularly. I hope you don't go away after you decide on an amp.

It would be great for all here if you would be a real member and post your thoughts also on other threads. So far, you have not done that.

OO
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:58 am

OconeeOrange wrote:Young guys are falling out of the trees to help you. Not many women are members and none post regularly. I hope you don't go away after you decide on an amp.

It would be great for all here if you would be a real member and post your thoughts also on other threads. So far, you have not done that.

OO

1. Not just young guys; there are very few of those around here, actually~
2. Good call on low # of ladies & not posting regularly--I agree with Bill here, Kirsten. Hope we see you on a regular basis!
3. Yes, please stick around -- it is always good to get a woman's perspective on things, even if she IS an Aquarian who is technically oriented~ :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am

mbskeam wrote:you can never have to much power...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's what i always believed....thanks again mike for the time spent checking out my amp. kudo's to you,
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm

angelod307 wrote:
mbskeam wrote:you can never have to much power...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that's what i always believed....thanks again mike for the time spent checking out my amp. kudo's to you,

Can I qualify that?
Being really lazy yesterday as I experimented with some of my junk, failed to turn everything off and down.

One of my woofers went inside out. ](*,)

Sometimes you can have too much. :lol: :lol:
<<

kirstenj

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 pm

I would like to "pay back" and have enjoyed the conversation and advice a lot, so anticipate checking in as I can. My #1 priority however, is my daughter. As it is, I feel a little guilty for the vast amount of time I spent on the computer researching this and other needs surrounding the home theater and music listening. I will also be wiring up the satelite speakers and running the ethernet myself after all, due to the bid being out of our budget.

For all, I have bought Angelo's Sunfire ($ in the mail) and am happy with the decision. :-)

Peace,
Kirsten
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:56 pm

You'll be quite happy with the Sunfire, congrats to both of you! =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

kingman

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm

Glad it worked out kirstenj and Angelo!!! =D> =D> =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:03 pm

Congrats on the new amp. I have owned two of them and they will drive your speakers very well!
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

kingman

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Next...bi-amp with 2 300x2's!!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 pm

kirstenj wrote:
For all, I have bought Angelo's Sunfire ($ in the mail) and am happy with the decision. :-)

Peace,
Kirsten

=D> =D> =D> We are Happy with your decision too! Sunfire is the way to go...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:56 am

Congrats
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:06 am

Congratulations to Kirsten & Angelo!

I'm certain you'll be more than please with your purchase.

Glad we could be of assistance to you~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)