FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:29 am

Bob Carver and Rita Helm have closed another shop.

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Bob Carver and Rita Helm have opened a new shop.

yeah, i talked with bill for a little bit on friday.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Toy Maker wrote:Well I have kept quiet on the subject for a few weeks awaiting to see it's outcome.
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I suppose I can go ahead and offer up a few details.

I spoke to Linda, about 3-4 weeks ago, and was asking how the move and new shop was going.

During our conversation, she let me know that Rita was no longer there, and was on a "leave of absence"
As the conversation went on, I was told that she was not sure if it were a temporary, or permanent "leave of absence" yet.
Linda told me that Rita was having some "family issues" that she had to take care of, and things were up in the air, over her return.
I was told that currently, Bill was the head tech, and that they had brought in another previous Carver employee as his assistant.

One of the concerns Linda and I spoke about, was the repair companies "name".
Evidently Bob had told them to start thinking up a new name for the business (in case she did not return I expect)
My suggestion to her was... Don't come up with a new name at all... but to build themselves into the new business Bob is starting, as Bob Carver's Equipment Repair Division.

For those that don't know... Bob is starting a new company. The website is in the works now, as is the product line.
http://www.BobCarver.com (not live yet) Of which, I am to be some type of shareholder/design-fabrication engineer. (details still in the works)

My suggestion to Linda, was to go back to Bob, and work out some way of incorporating their "new company" into a branch of Bob's new business, rather than trying to promote 2 new companies...
one of which would be a very small repair business that would be relying on Bob's name for business anyway.

I have not spoken to Lynda in a few weeks, and I expect they are still hashing out the details of the new repair company.
But I fully expect them to be a branch of the new company Bob is forming, to some extent anyway.

Those are the details I know of so far. If I find out more, I will post, as will John I'm sure.

Looks like they've been working on the site: http://www.bobcarver.com/
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 pm

...If you have to ask what it costs ("Amazing Thing #1"), then you can't afford it! (but it WILL heat your home in the winter!) :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 pm

mmmmmm...tubesssss......
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 am

got my amp back today. thanks mike for the extra time of checking it out for me. thanks bill for pushing in the connector that came loose. later today i will plug it in and listen on my break.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm

oh my, a loose ribbon connector. the amp is what it should be, a beast. with in 30 seconds, i found it limits with the al3's on the front, the 2-15" on another 2 channels at 2 ohms each. it was set to around 13 or 14 on the tgp4 and was rocking then the 15a fuse said forget that. wow, it pounded. so now the 15's have a 300x2 and the rest is on the 400 with two channels to spare until i run more cables un the house to the desired locations. i really like this amp. now for a 625x2 17" amp in the future.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:51 pm

So perhaps someone "in the know" should post the contact info for Linda's new shop. Has the address and phone number changed?

I have an M-500t that seems to have a hinky relay somewhere and is not working--lights all come on, but I hear this little "click click click" when it's powered up, and no sound comes out...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:00 am

Dreamer wrote:So perhaps someone "in the know" should post the contact info for Linda's new shop. Has the address and phone number changed?

I have an M-500t that seems to have a hinky relay somewhere and is not working--lights all come on, but I hear this little "click click click" when it's powered up, and no sound comes out...

Richard; you've missed a LOT of info! It's now Bob Carver's Audio Repair; details here:

http://www.carverservice.com/index.html

Also, have you seen this yet?

www.bobcarver.com
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks, Rabbit...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I just dropped off a TFM-45 at Bob Carver's Repair Center and guess who was there to great me? Rita! Apparently she is back volunteering for Bob trying to help him turn things around. It seems that they've been extremely slow since the move and Mr Carver is threatening to close the doors for good if things don't change in the next few months. Rita is a VERY good tech and has been working exclusively on Carver products for nearly 30 years.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:19 pm

"...and Mr Carver is threatening to close the doors for good if things don't change in the next few months"

Damn....ANOTHER thing to worry about: fear that you will outlive your Carver/Sunfire amps as well as your money (in retirement)! I have two "spares"; hope that's enough 'cause at some point it looks like they'll be no one left to repair them...which will be a sad day indeed but hopefully many years in the future... [-o<
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 pm

jjptkd wrote:It seems that they've been extremely slow since the move and Mr Carver is threatening to close the doors for good if things don't change in the next few months.

Why don't more people have their equipment repaired at Bob's? I know Rolland has a good reputation, but his turnaround time is now around 3 weeks, I'm told, so why wouldn't you use Bob? Is there something I should know or somebody knows why NOT to send it to Bob's for repair?
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:57 pm

I know, it seems strange to me that on a forum dedicated to the legacy of Bob Carver products that anyone here would not support his repair facility. ](*,) ](*,) I could understand if you lived close to one of the "other" shops and didn't want to ship but if you're going to ship anyway... Either way, I have a small stack of gear I'll be running through their shop and I'll be encouraging all my friends with Carver amplifiers to get them refurbished and signed by the "man" himself before it's too late.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:17 pm

Rollands turn around time is more like 10 weeks, thats what my tfm 42 took !! he has a huge backlog!!! so dont expect anything from him in 3 weeks, not gonna happen!! but he does do awesome work, very happy with my tfm 42!! \:D/
Last edited by frenchguy on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & CF Linestage, Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm

I would like to get my Phase Linear series two over there since that is pretty close to my part of Washington.

My Carver C-19 could just use a clean-up and other than Bob signing it I just don't think I want to spend that much to do it.

Still must admit I would like to see Bob again since it has been since 1975 ......and I still have all my hair :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum