FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm

Help Needed Carver Premiere AV-705x Amp & CT-28v Preamp

<<

MPA

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

Help Needed Carver Premiere AV-705x Amp & CT-28v Preamp

Hello. I'm new to the forum and could use some help. I have a Carver 705x amplifier and 28v preamplifier. The amp is in great shape and appears to be working just fine. The preamp is nearly dead. I say nearly because I can see a faint glow of light in the display but it does not appear to be working and will need to be serviced (at a cost of $250 bucks or so). So my question is, given today's digital technology and advances in 7.1 surround sound what can I, or should I do with these analog units?
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:29 am

Re: Help Needed Carver Premiere AV-705x Amp & CT-28v Preamp

Analog continues to rule with the hard core bunch. What do YOU want to do is the question. What is your budget? What speakers are you using? There are many variables and you have provided little info.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

MPA

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am

So here's the deal, I love my Carver stuff but don't know what my options are based on the info already supplied. I don't have a set budget in mind but I am willing to invest some $$$ to have a solid system. I need to know a few things:

1) Is what I have considered to be fair, good, or excellent equipment?
2) What are the pros and cons of using these analog units vs contemporary equipment?
3) Not to upset the hard core enthusiast but ... is there a hybrid setup that will allow me to enjoy Dolby through my 705x or does that in effect defeat the purpose?
4) What speakers should I use?

PLEASE give me some specific options to consider. For example:

1) Keep the 705x and repair the analog preamp/tuner (is the repair cost of $250 worth it?)
2) Keep the 705x and buy a better preamp/tuner (for the same cost of repairing the 28v)
2) Invest in XYZ dolby digital tuner
3) Other .......

Thanks!
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:54 am

Amps are mostly analog (well, all of them that make good sound), so your 705 is a keeper. Now that CT-28V is missing quite a bit (like DTS and Dolby Digital) and real LPCM decoding. So, you will be stuck using the anaolog outputs of your sources to this unit. The up side of the CT-28V is that it does have a good tuner. I would look for a used Sunfire TGP (III or above) as a replacement and keep the 28V as an analog preamp/tuner.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 am

Are you using this system as a home theater or as a 2 channel setup. That would really determine what I would do.

If you want a HT, then keep the Carver AV-705. It is a good amp. Go out and buy a new pre amp that supports all the latest and greatest DD and DTS formats.

If you do not use it for HT, then I would look into getting a new 2 channel preamp. There are a lot of 2 channel preamps on the market and it would be determined by what functions you want and how much you have to spend.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

MPA

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks for the input so far. Hope to receive more! I am using this strictly as a home audio/home theater setup but want the ability to hook up to hdmi sources. I no longer use dvd/blue-ray, but rather stream movies from Netflix and other online sources. Many preamps seem to be 7.1 channel. How would I use one of these with my 5.1 705x amp?
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:12 pm

The Surround Back channels (final 2 of the 7) are largely superflous/unnecessary.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 pm

BillD wrote:Amps are mostly analog (well, all of them that make good sound), so your 705 is a keeper. Now that CT-28V is missing quite a bit (like DTS and Dolby Digital) and real LPCM decoding. So, you will be stuck using the anaolog outputs of your sources to this unit. The up side of the CT-28V is that it does have a good tuner. I would look for a used Sunfire TGP (III or above) as a replacement and keep the 28V as an analog preamp/tuner.

I couldn't have said it better BillD.

The Sunfire TGP (III , IV & V) are beyond excellent.

As for the HD Video cabling run it directly to the TV and the audio to the Sunfire. Works great.

The Sunfire excells at 2 channel as well.
<<

MPA

Post Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:11 am

I am open to offers on the CT-28v Preamp. The unit looks really good but the white lettering on the faceplate is light - i.e. rubbed thin from cleaning the face over the years.
Attachments
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0780.JPG

Return to Carver Home (Theater)