FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

Tube Amp Chassis - No Good Deed Goes Unpunished !!!!!

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:00 am

Tube Amp Chassis - No Good Deed Goes Unpunished !!!!!

To those who will be involved in the tube amplifier build, please read the following

This post is intended to ASK FOR DONATIONS.
$5 - $10 - $20 or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Donations are NOT mandatory, buy greatly appreciated.

I took on the amp chassis part of the amp build to insure they would be done in time for CarverFest.
I priced them for Bob, based on the materials, fabrication, and powdercoating costs.
I cut the blank chassis parts (FOR FREE) in the "CarverFest Spirit", and handed them off to the welder who was to bend, weld and grind the welds down.
Well with the 3 day weekend, and everyone leaving early last Friday, the chassis never got finished, which would not leave enough time for my powdercoater to finish them.
Yesterday, (Tuesday) I went to the fabricators to see how far along they were. They had all of the chassis bent, and welded at 4:00pm.
However, they did not even start grinding the 800+ welds down.
With Alex and I leaving Thursday afternoon for CF, the chassis HAD to be to the powdercoater THIS MORNING, to ensure enough time to paint, wrap and pack the chassis to make it to CF.

Alex and I decided to TAKE the chassis back to our shop, and grind all 100 of them ourselves.... This was the ONLY way they could be to the powdercoaters this morning. and insure they could be ready for the trip north.
I told the fabricator, I was sorry, but I had to take them as-is, and would be up all night grinding the welds ourselves...
He didn't seem to mind at all, and wrote me up an invoice....
The invoice was for $400 MORE than the originally quoted price, AND they did not do 1/3 of the work.... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
I told the guy, that they original quote was $400 less than what he had just figured, and he said, well... this is how much time we have spent on them so far.
I just sat there for a second, trying to think what to do... I decided to go ahead and pay the OVER-INFLATED bill, and get the hell out of there, and get the chassis back to OUR shop so we could get to work on them.

as of right now, this little project has COST me $400, plus the donated time of designing and cutting them for the fest.
So, anyone that would be willing to throw $5, $10, or $20 per chassis our way, we would REALLY appreciate it.
With CF coming up in 2 days, a $400 unexpected hit, REALLY HURTS !!!

We just finished pulling yet ANOTHER all-nighter, and finished all 100 chassis, and are on our way over to the powdercoater right now to drop them off.
So, everything is back on track, except for our sleep schedule. We are headed home right after dropping the chassis off, to get a few hours sleep, and then back to work and finish the ALS speakers, and then to start packing ](*,)

I know this mess really has nothing to do with the members, and is a problem I can and will deal with, but it's at the worst possible timing for us, as we have been working our asses off the last 4 weeks getting everything ready for the fest, and working on the new speakers.
We have honestly been working for about 4 weeks, and have not made a DIME on ANY of these projects yet.

So, any and all donations to help cover the EXTRA $400 BS fee, would be greatly appreciated !!!

Oh, and by the way... We haven't slept since 9:00am Tuesday.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:04 am

Re: Tube Amp Chassis - No Good Deed Goes Unpunished !!!!!

James, can you take C@$H at CF?

I'll contribute $20.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 am

What he said ^
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 am

Yeah, that's cool

Thanks !! =D>

We're out of here, I'll be back on around 2-3pm
Goodnight !!! :-"
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:15 am

We appreciate ya Toy! Give Alex a BIG thanks from me too!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 am

$30 sent 3@$10/amp

Figure all the bullshit James has endured with these amps and their prep work, that's the least I can do. Although probably not enough, not to mention all of the BS prep work for Carverfest.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 am

$20 sent, appreciate all you guys extra work!!!! :-)
Carver M-4.0t &Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17 sda390t jolida jd 100A & 2 pairs of JBL L96 JBL 4401 & Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:44 am

James, I will contribute an extra 20.00 when I meet you on friday. And again thank you for all you have done to insure that the amp building workshop is a success. Harry
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:48 am

Come on people open up those wallets!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent $40 hope this helps buddy!! Come on people step up to the plate and open up those wallets! I know James and a few others pays for alot of things for CF you people never even know about or ever hear about! So pitch in and thanks for the ones that have and are going too! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:27 am

I'll give $60.00 Friday.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:32 am

im in as well.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

AlexSauter

Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Thank you all for your generosity, we appreciate it greatly.

After a few hours of sleep, I fell a little better about how much we still have to do, but we still have a lot to do....
Speakers need to be finished, bases for the speakers need final touch ups and to be assembled, we have to go out and buy the rest of the door prizes, we have to order the laser-etch brushed aluminum looking plastic for the amp build, we have to pack the trailer, and we have to make sure we have everything we could need if the truck got a flat, or the trailer.... Lots of stuff to do, such little time.... ](*,) ](*,)
RIP BillD
BillD wrote:Well, some people are glass half empty people and some are glass half full. Being an engineer, I just think the glass is the wrong size.

My system (sitting in the garage):

(Stereo System)
Modified Carver AL III+'s (Pushed into the corners to make room for the ALS speakers)
Modified CarverFest 2011 20w tube amplifier
Carver Pro PT-1800
Sunfire Prototype TGA-2375
Carver TX-2 Tuner (not used)
Logitech Squeezebox (replaced Tuner & dad's CD player)
CARVERaudio Directional RCA interconnects
RCA-Headphone jack for iPod & iPhone
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Even tho I'm not one of the lucky "amp builders", I'll "butt in" and put in my $0.02:

You guys (who at 2x the total you end up paying for your amps are still most likely getting a great deal!) need to step up to the plate and throw some $'s TM's way! Sounds to me like he's REALLY busting his balls to make this amp thing happen and WITHOUT all his efforts there's just no way it would be happening! Looks like a bunch have stepped forward and done what's right....others need to as well! Based on the hours he's put in on this even if he gets 2x what's he's asking for he (and others!) will not even be making minimum "wage" on this once in a lifetime "deal" for all of you. If I get ANYTHING (tube amp info wise, etc.) out of the "final reports" posted on this forum from these amps (or later obtain one from whatever means :-" - not likely!) I'll be throwing some $'s his way as well...probably will anyway! Good deeds need to be rewarded sometimes least wise fewer good deeds will be coming in the future! fini! :lol:

add: $10 WILL BE sent (work PC evidently does not allow PP transactions....but will do from home PC asap!)
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

kingman

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:13 pm

$40 sent...
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Alex/James,

If you have bearing buddies for your trailer, be sure to give them a shot of grease before you go~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2011