It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm

The tube amp soldering class....

<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: The tube amp soldering class....

Tom,

Matt and I will be there barring no unforseen circumstances on the way up.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:55 pm

Eddie wrote:Im in!

Me too!

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:56 am

I'll be there.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:57 am

Soldering class / tutorial

So far we have 7 folks attending the soldering class. Is there anybody else planning on attending? Mark and I will be hosting this class and we need to know before we get there how many folks plan on attending.

Thanks, fellas.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:19 am

I'll help if needed.
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:28 am

I figured you would. I would have already asked you but with only 7 folks attending and 2 instructors so far, I figured that we have it covered for now. For now, just pop in with your assistance at the class when you see someone who needs assistance and Mark and I are caught up with other folks. Thanks, bud.

BTW, another thread has been posted by Chauss that offered a kind of "online" tutorial. I would advise that folks watch this prior to attending. The better prepared you are for soldering? The quicker and better the amp build. Keep in mind, this is what you will be soldering....

Knowing that, here's the soldering primer Chauss provided on another thread...

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:06 am

I'm in.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 am

engtaz

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 am

I will sit in since it has been over 15+ this yrs since I have done this type of soldering!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:16 am

I thought I answered this already, I can help

but in the mean time, for the guys who have never soldered, get some wire, strip the ends, tin these and reattach them to each other.
also twist the ends together and solder this.

if you have any junk electronics, cut out some of the resistors and caps, solder the ends together.

radio shack sells project boards you can also get a big bag of resistors for about 12$, then go to town. see what solder looks like when it gets hot and starts to flow,

something else, to remember solderer will flow to the heat, if you have ever seen copper water pipe done up, you get the joint hot, but then when its starting to melt, you move the heat to the bottom of the joint, it pulls/wicks the solder right into and all around the joint.
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

frenchguy

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:54 pm

I will attend
Carver M-4.0t & Rollandized tfm42, ct-6 & ct-17, sda390t, jolida jd 100A & JBL L96,s Modified JBL 4401,s W/Ribbon Tweeters, Carverfest vacuum tube amp & Dared SL-2000A tube preamp, Carver AL3 amazing speakers in natural oak & Douglas connection cables
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:51 pm

mbskeam wrote: radio shack sells project boards you can also get a big bag of resistors for about 12$, then go to town. see what solder looks like when it gets hot and starts to flow,

something else, to remember solderer will flow to the heat, if you have ever seen copper water pipe done up, you get the joint hot, but then when its starting to melt, you move the heat to the bottom of the joint, it pulls/wicks the solder right into and all around the joint.

And if you want to see something else....take one of the project boards right out of the package, slip a stripped wire through a hole and solder it..as best you can.

Then use a pencil eraser or scotchbrite over another area of the solder pads. Look at how what looked fine before, will now show a better shine! Now solder down another wire thru a hole onto a solder pad. Observe how much easier the solder flows and quicker. Better heat transfer. How the solder bead edges level out better, inditing flow, rather than beading up on the edges.

Unless you just happen to get out of the package a very recent manufactured board, you'll see right away what I'm talking about. It shows the importance of clean surfaces for solder flow. If you don't see good flow, then you've got potential for poor connections and future trouble. These are often called "cold" solder joints. The same conditions apply to the leads on components and to other connection points.

Totally agree that much can be seen from watching the solder and metal connection points and the color of them as you heat and cool afterwards. It's all about heat control! High enough heat on the connection and avoiding it getting wicked away by greater metal mass or into components.

Mark
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Tom,

I didn't see in the thread what Watershed cabin the Thursday evening 8pm soldering class will be in? Sorry if I missed it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Tom, if its Thursday, I'll be there too.

I know how to solder courtesy of the U.S. Navy but it's been a lomg time.
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 pm

frankieD wrote:Tom, if its Thursday, I'll be there too.

I know how to solder courtesy of the U.S. Navy but it's been a lomg time.

Glad you can join us Frankie. The only thing that we will be missing are the "Hot Instructors" unless we catch one of the "White coats" on fire with our soldering guns. :lol:
— Thomas Paine

RIP Bill D.
PreviousNext

Return to CARVERFEST 2011