FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:35 pm

Neodymium - Is China starting to throw it's weight around ??

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Neodymium - Is China starting to throw it's weight around ??

China has DOUBLED it's prices on neodymium in the last few months. Can't wait to see how this will effect the ALS cost

http://www.ipmd.net/news/001192.html
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Re: Neodymium - Is China starting it's weight around ??

China has a strangle hold on rare metals.
Actually, gangs like the drug cartels have developed there to control it.

It is a bigger deal in the long run than most understand.
<<

basspig

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:30 am

Re: Neodymium - Is China starting it's weight around ??

Makes me glad I already have my Bassmaxx ZR18s, which have lots of neodymium magnets in them..
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 pm

The price of titanium has also gone up drastically in the past couple of years. Once again, a China stronghold.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Neodymium - Is China starting to throw it's weight aroun

Nuk'em! :lol:
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm

When you don't have to worry about environmentalists and special intrest groups - you can produce whatever resource the world wants....and charge accordingly.
Maybe there is a lesson there for those of us in the First :rolleyes: (to pay too much) world.
Just sayin'
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:45 pm

The funny thing about the Chinese stranglehold on "strategic elements" is that almost ALL of theese elements are plentiful in the US. But the companies that USED to mine them here have been systematically shutting down their mines in the US, Canada, and Australia, and moving their operations to Asia.

Most of these new mines and processing plants in China are actually outfitted, equipped, trained, and owned (partially) by the big US-based transnational mining concerns.

When the Chinese government or business cartels decide they don't want to sell to the US, or want to jack their prices by 100% or more, the Transnational corporations (that USED to operate the same kinds of mines in the US) can STILLpocket the money from these strategic minerals, but We the People get screwed, what is left of our industry gets screwed, and even our Military is put at risk because of the higher cost and even limited availability of these resources.

Ain't Globalism grand?...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

basspig

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks to government and enviro-Nazi regulations. In a country where making guitars can get you a SWAT raid, I make nothing. If I were to start a manufacturing plant, I'd go overseas.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 pm

You decide.....

Dreamer wrote:Ain't Globalism grand?...
Hmmmm, Globalism or Environmentalists? Which had more of a hand in this? You decide.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

treitz3 wrote:
The price of titanium has also gone up drastically in the past couple of years. Once again, a China stronghold.

Chauss wrote:
Titanium is an alloy....

Nope, Titanium is a chemical element with the symbol Ti and atomic number 22.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:51 pm

Chauss [the sneaky little bastard] deleted his post. #-o

Back to the point. Yes, I think China IS starting to throw it's weight around.

<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Chauss [the sneaky little bastard] deleted his post. #-o

Back to the point. Yes, I think China IS starting to throw it's weight around.

We all knew it was coming !
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 pm

From the article...
The price of neodymium, a rare earth mineral used for making rare-earth magnets, increased to 600,000 yuan ($91,415) per ton this week (wb 21/3/11) from 300,000 yuan ($45,707) per ton at the end of 2010.
enews257

The tax is part of a series of new measures unveiled by the Chinese authorities affecting the industry. The Ministry of Environmental Protection announced earlier this month that tougher rules on emission limits for producing rare earths will take effect in October 2011.
It hasn't even begun. ](*,)

<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

That's really sad. The new AL's may die before they begin ! :(
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:treitz3 wrote:

Chauss wrote:
Titanium is an alloy....

Nope, Titanium is a chemical element with the symbol Ti and atomic number 22.

Most Ti purchased for the manufacture of goods IS an alloy! - Mixed with another metal ie" aluminum, molybdenum, iron, etc...
Ti in its pure form is very granular and chrystaline. SO OO- tell me exactly where PURE Ti is used please? :lol:

Lest we forget....I used to own a machine shop- but figured it was useless information here which is why I deleted my post. :D

Cheers!

Pure RAW Ti below....
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein

Return to Introducing the NEW 2012 "ALS"