It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Post here and let us know you made it home safely

<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Post here and let us know you made it home safely

Since I published my balanced circuits, there are a couple of new op-amps available that make this task both simple and far more accurate than just using 1% metal film resistors (BTW, if you look inside a Rane box, the first thing they do is to convert to unbalanced using op-amps). This new solution uses a pair of audio line drivers (DRV134) to convert to balanced and a single line receiver (INA2137) to go balanced to unbalanced. All the needed resistors are on the chip and laser trimmed for accuracy. I have put balanced outputs on both a C-11 and a C-2 using the DRV134 chips with great success, and am working on a balanced input for an M-500 using the INA2137.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:28 pm

BillD wrote:Since I published my balanced circuits, there are a couple of new op-amps available that make this task both simple and far more accurate than just using 1% metal film resistors (BTW, if you look inside a Rane box, the first thing they do is to convert to unbalanced using op-amps). This new solution uses a pair of audio line drivers (DRV134) to convert to balanced and a single line receiver (INA2137) to go balanced to unbalanced. All the needed resistors are on the chip and laser trimmed for accuracy. I have put balanced outputs on both a C-11 and a C-2 using the DRV134 chips with great success, and am working on a balanced input for an M-500 using the INA2137.

I was thinking about 'rolling' some opamps since I already have the thing built and it's zero effort.
Are the BB OPA2604s or the AD712s any better than the ones you originally used? Sorry I'm derailing the crap out of this thread. Hopefully everyone's home by now.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:42 pm

Martin- play the thing for a while.....I do not see any need to mod the amp IMHO- it is AWESOME as-is!!! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Chauss wrote:Martin- play the thing for a while.....I do not see any need to mod the amp IMHO- it is AWESOME as-is!!! :D

?
I wasn't planning on modding it.
I'm just rambling on about balanced vs. unbalanced.
But you just reminded me that I have to convert back to unbalanced to power these tube amps *sigh*
Maybe I'll just drive them with + and - since the input will be attenuated by the y-split prior to monoblocking anyway.
I wonder which way Gary's planning on doing it.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 pm

OK
Previous

Return to CARVERFEST 2011