FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Carver AV705x amp

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:41 am

Carver AV705x amp

This is one of the THX amps with the THX knobs on the back. It appears at least 2 of them are broke, as they turn waaaayyy to easy. I am pretty sure the solder is broke on them, but havent verified by opening it up. If so I still couldnt fix it since I have NO SKILLS when it comes to that.

My question is how big a problem is this? The only difference I noticed was that when running the auto calibration in my AVR the center seemed quite a bit louder than the other channels. But after calibration everything sounds fine to my ears.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Carver AV705x amp

Easy peasy
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Anyone?
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Not sure what you're asking....?

You could open it up & put some DePxit Fader Lube on the pots & see if that fixes the issue. I'm not sure about the calibration issue as I'm mot familiar with that particular amp.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm

What I am saying is two of the THX knobs on the back are physically broke. They twist and turn and have no tension. Is that something I need to be worried about? Or is it only a big deal if I am actually using them to turn down the gain on the channels?
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Huh?

What in the hell is a THX knob?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:06 pm

The x series amps had little pots on the back of them for balancing the outputs. For the amps to be THX, the pots had to be all the way up (or removed).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Huh?

treitz3 wrote:What in the hell is a THX knob?

Here is the back of my amp, the THX knobs are above each input.

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 pm

pop the cover and snap up some pics of the situation.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:01 pm

angelod307 wrote:pop the cover and snap up some pics of the situation.

Will do sometime later tonight if I dont pass out first. Terra Nova is on \:D/ . If not tonight will tomorrow.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:11 pm

BillD wrote:The x series amps had little pots on the back of them for balancing the outputs. For the amps to be THX, the pots had to be all the way up (or removed).
Thanks, Bill. You learn something everyday.

ES, what do you mean..."they twist and turn with no tension."?

Would you be so kind as to elaborate just a little bit on that, please? :-s
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Dang guy, told you to PM Ed as he is up on this. Maybe you are shy as to Ed, and I can understand that. :lol:

I had the problem and just had to tighten the stress on the pots. They were too tiny for duct tape or bungee cords, so used plastic ties. It worked well for a couple years. I sent the amp to Ed and he chuckled, fixed it and I think is still as happy with it as the 705 is a great amp. I only gave up that one because I have another - =D> =D>

Give us a little help here ED.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:07 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:Dang guy, told you to PM Ed as he is up on this. Maybe you are shy as to Ed, and I can understand that. :lol:

I had the problem and just had to tighten the stress on the pots. They were too tiny for duct tape or bungee cords, so used plastic ties. It worked well for a couple years. I sent the amp to Ed and he chuckled, fixed it and I think is still as happy with it as the 705 is a great amp. I only gave up that one because I have another - =D> =D>

Give us a little help here ED.

Yeah, I just saw your PM after my last post lol. I am too used to the Polk forum which shows you have a message when you log in.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:
BillD wrote:The x series amps had little pots on the back of them for balancing the outputs. For the amps to be THX, the pots had to be all the way up (or removed).
Thanks, Bill. You learn something everyday.

ES, what do you mean..."they twist and turn with no tension."?

Would you be so kind as to elaborate just a little bit on that, please? :-s

Its like when your used to turning a volume knob and hearing/feeling it click as you turn it left or right. Mine no longer clicks and there is no tension.

I will just post some pics tomorrow. it will make more sense then. That or OO can chime in with a better description.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks for replying so fast. Is it with only one, certain ones or all of them? :-s

Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum