FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:23 pm

What's a Lightstar worth ?????

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:14 pm

What's a Lightstar worth ?????

Ok, I've been asked, and have answered this same question 6 times this week, so I'm just going to post my opinions here for everyone to read.

"What is a fair price for a Lightstar XXXXXXXXX?"

Well, there is no right answer here,, it really depends how deep your pockets are, and how serious of a collector you are. Lightstar units are very rare. About 75 of each unit were produced, and they were the best solid state units Carver ever made. Aside form the "voicing" Bob did to the Sunfire amps that and prefers, even he agrees the Lightstar pieces are superior.

So, if you have the means, I would advise buying them. I prefer the Reference amp,
over the LS-II just because it's bigger and badder. The LS-1 is 80 pounds, the LS-2 is 45 pounds.
The 1st was "cost no issue" the 2nd was to try to profit from from the design.

Both are the best they made... And either would will kick the shit out of a Sunfire 300x2

$750-1500 is fair. $1500-2000 is the "because I can" price. Anything over $2000 will prove you have a set, and aren't scared to use them.

The Lightstar Preamp is the same story. One ofnthe best units Carver ever made.
Prices for the preamp every depending on condition,mand if it comes with original remote or not.
Preamp pricing will range from $500 to $2000. Again, it will all depend on how badly you want it.
A preamp with no remote IS A DOOR-STOP. There are NO buttons on a Lightstar preamp. Without the remote, you can't even turn it on. There is a chance you will be able to have someone else with a remote program a learning remote for you. But know THERE ARE NO REMOTE CODES THAT WILL WORK IN ANY PROGRAMABLE REMOTE.
A fair buying price for a LS Pre with remote and original box, would be $750-1000
The remote alone is valued at $200+

We have 5 Lightstar-1 amps, and it would take allot more than $2000 to get me to sell one.

I've had 3 LS-2 amps all sold for $1500 ea. No original boxes.
I've had 3 LS Preamps with programed aftermarket remotes, and no original boxes, each sold for $500

So, good luck, and let us know if you become a new member of the Lightstar family.

James
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Re: What's a Lightstar worth ?????

Thanks James! =D> =D> =D> ...I know I've pested you alot about this and we talk about it frequently. There is a reason it is a "reference" amp....no voicing. Add nothing to the music. Pre is the same...straight line.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Not just you man... There are a few people eyeballing all the goods on eBay.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Yes I have a friend interested in the 2.0 amp
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I wouldn't part with my Lightstar for $10,000. I love it that much.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

yeah, i was eyeballing it as well. just how bad do i want it.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Yea and I hauled two of the five LS-1 of Jame's and Dave's to CF09 and CF10!
Hey James or Dave did you guys give me a break this passed CF11? LOL!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Yeah, we are running out of room down here... We'll move some stuff around, and get you back on the road picking up new stuff for us soon :lol:

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:40 pm

Evidently not ENOUGH room..... ](*,)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Return to Carver Research (Lightstar)