FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:23 am

Carver AV705x amp

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Thanks for replying so fast. Is it with only one, certain ones or all of them? :-s

Its just with like 2 of them. I dare not touch the rest as I did at one point open the amp up and saw how old and cracked the solder was.

I had a guy local in Indy fix one of the RCA's a long time ago. He had to touch it up.

I dont want to send this in, so I am hoping its an easy fix, OR that it doesnt matter lol....
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Jeeeeeebus. Tell you what, post a pic when you get the chance. Soldering joints rarely crack [unless it was a bad install, cold solder joint or bad mechanical/physical connection to the substrate/frame/chassis/board] but I have been surprised by many things. It sounds to me [at least from the description] like someone in the past has gone well beyond the "stop" point on the pots.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: Carver AV705x amp

does the volume change when you turn the pot? if it does then set it to the volume you want and leave it.
if not then pop the top.....
as it is broke already then what have ya got to lose, get a buddy who can solder and have them show you how......
you may need new pots, but that is hard to say with out lookin at a pic or 2....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Pics incoming. P.S. when it rains it pours. When disconnecting one of the Signal Cable Analog II's one of the ground connectors pulled off with the cable. Looks like I got some calls to make.

Here is a better pic of the back of the amp, specifically the THX knob, and it so happens to be the one I pulled the ground connector off on as well.....

This is one of the ones that is broken

This is one that is not

The knob on the broken one is totally disconnected and I can wiggle it around left, right, etc. The non broken one you can see is still connected right.

It appears channel 1 & 3 have this problem. Those channels correspond to my center and right bottom set of inputs.

Thoughts?
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:31 am

pre-work bump
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:43 am

I agree with OO; you need to get in touch with Ed (elgrau); he's the forum expert on these. He can probably walk you through everything.

Personally, I'd probably just bypass them. You can level adjust everything through a pre-pro.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:12 am

TNRabbit wrote:Personally, I'd probably just bypass them. You can level adjust everything through a pre-pro.

That was my thought as well since I dont use them to level adjust anyway. I just want to make sure they are at max volume lol....

First I need to get my dang ground fixed though... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:17 am

PM sent.

I might inquire how much it would be at Rita's to get the amp restored. It looks to be in good condition to me.... but what do I know #-o #-o

Just sucks that for right now I am back to using the TV SPEAKERS and 3 remotes!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:55 am

Rita's no longer in the repair business, Bob Carver has one now.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:01 am

engtaz wrote:Rita's no longer in the repair business, Bob Carver has one now.

Thats the one I meant lol. I am NOT having a good morning. I think its based outta Snohomis WA or something like that.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:19 am

Tom has an east coast Carver repair shop in Pittsburgh:

http://vintagehifipgh.com

Give him a call....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am

Well got one part possibly fixed. My local contact who fixed the first ground RCA problem is going to take a look at the amp tonight after I get off work. Hopefully that will fix that.

He also told me that I should be able to remove the black plastic part that sticks outside the chassis on the THX knob. He said I should be able to just adjust the level w/ a flathead screwdriver. Hopefully its all fixed tonight so I can go home and watch TV on my LSi's.

I might still ship it off to be gone over at a later date (like when I get all my overtime money) but right now cash is tight.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Well the ground problem is fixed and honestly since its back to working I am just gonna say screw the THX knobs. Once I get a better amp for my fronts I will have this one fixed, but until I have a backup, I will just keep it how it is.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 pm

If you got all 5, or at least the channels you use to max, no big deal as those pots served no real purpose.

That 705 is a great sounding amp.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:If you got all 5, or at least the channels you use to max, no big deal as those pots served no real purpose.

That 705 is a great sounding amp.

Yeah if needed I can take those channels out and pull those little black knobs off and just use a screwdriver to make it max (if it isnt set already)...

They work, I dont notice any difference in how the level's were set (both were set the same value on Audyseey).

So for now I am back in business, not working off TV speakers, so I am happy.....
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum