Carver since 1984

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
FredRydr

Carver since 1984

Post by FredRydr » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:13 am

I'm new here, but bought my Carver "The Receiver" MX130 in 1984 (which I just posted for sale). I mainly listened to FM because my brothers took all the vinyl after I moved and married. The best station was in Baltimore, about 120 miles away, so I researched (no internet!) for the most sensitive tuner I could buy in a receiver. I wasn't flush, and still in post-grad school, and $680 for a receiver in 1984 was quite an expense. But it did the job, and pulled in that rock station for years. I can't recall the call letters anymore, but it changed format. So, I added an SD/A-360 5-disc CD player. A woman who helped clean my house liked the system so much that she blew out my big Polks. Oh well.

My college-age son has convinced me to accept online music, so I am moving out the MX130 and replacing it with a Peachtree Nova, Sonos ZP90, and a used 32 gigabyte iPod Touch (4th gen), all wirelessly connected to our iMac with a terabyte of space. But I resist total immersion into internet and kept my SD/A-360. I was delighted to find the ol' SD/A-360 has an optical jack, which I can use with the new Peachtree! Very cool. I can listen to radio stations located anywhere on the planet via internet streaming, but I just cannot not totally give in to this internet witchcraft, so I picked up a Carver TX-8 tuner to slip between the SD/A-360 and the Peachtree. Pairs of PSB and KEF speakers round it out, and that'll be my set-up when all the pieces arrive. It will just be stereo audio. I am not going down the home theatre route.

A couple of questions, which perhaps should be posted elsewhere in the forum. I haven't explored, yet.

Where can I find a manual for the TX-8 tuner? pdf or photocopy is fine!
Is a remote the difference between the TX-8r and TX-8?
Is the TX-14 a substantial improvement over the TX-8?

Fred

TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend

Re: Carver since 1984

Post by TNRabbit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:41 am

Welcome, Fred! Love your trucks~

Can't answer your questions, but hopefully some one who can will be along soon…
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post by jjptkd » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:42 am

=D> \:D/ =D> Welcome!! =D> \:D/ =D> I don't know much about the tuners, I currently have a TX-10, no remote, and have had a few TX-11a's in the past but I'm sure others here can help. I just picked up a Peachtree Decc-o and really enjoy it, the built in amp has no problem driving my huge Klipsch speakers and computer music has never sounded better in my setup. I stream the radio through my Squeezebox Duet and no longer use analog tuners as it seems I can never get a completely clear signal, especially when compared to the Squeezebox.
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

thuffman03
!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post by thuffman03 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 am

Welcome to the forum.
Some cool Carver stuff!

engtaz
"TAZ"

Post by engtaz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:17 am

Welcome
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”