FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:45 am

MX130 one owner ***SOLD***

<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: MX130 one owner ***SOLD***

See it sounds like I am talking to an old friend - you all sound alike lol. I am learning. All I know right now is when I want to hear my music I can hear my music - and sometimes the neighbors can too. All in due time.

Now if I could just get something to boost the audio on my computer and make my work easier/enjoyable, I'd be happier than a audiophile at Carverfest - okay, maybe not.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:37 pm

You mean like this ? :D

<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:You mean like this ? :D

I think I'm in love.

So, tell me, is that in place of any speaker audio output of the computer ???? Looks like it would blow up any of the five computers I have to use. I have some online programs but really, really could use some real BOOST and SOUND to keep my sanity. Something I can run all day every day and not burn up. You have no idea how many speakers I go through...

My next question is going to be why my friend never thought of this....interesting
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. It has the beauty of loneliness of pain: of strength and freedom. The beauty of disappointment and never-satisfied love. The cruel beauty of nature and everlasting beauty of monotony. - Benjamen Britten
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey Rick- I see you use Formby's Lemon oil too! That stuff works fantastic for bringing wood / veneer back to it's original luster! =D> =D> =D> :D That is the only thing I use on my speakers. It brought a pair of Polk SDA's back to "as new" condition for me!

Shortcake- for PC audio- to get great sound it all starts with the right DAC! :D As they say....GIGO!

Cheers!~
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:58 pm

The key to getting good sound out of your computer is to come out of it digitally to a separate DAC via a USB connector. Sound cards in all computers I know of are either integrated (read crappy) or plunked on the PCI bus (read noisy). Either way, the result is less than pristine. However, there are several companies making good USB DACs that produce outstanding results. In that you have just bought a MXR130, you have the analog amplification side of your equation solved. What you need now is something to handle the modern digital devices that are available to you, starting with your computer.

You can spend a lot of money on this aspect of your trip to audio nirvana, but I believe in baby steps. A good start could be a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11. This little baby is an affordable digital front end to an all analog system, and even incorporates a tube buffer.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:39 pm

BillD wrote:The key to getting good sound out of your computer is to come out of it digitally to a separate DAC via a USB connector. Sound cards in all computers I know of are either integrated (read crappy) or plunked on the PCI bus (read noisy). Either way, the result is less than pristine. However, there are several companies making good USB DACs that produce outstanding results. In that you have just bought a MXR130, you have the analog amplification side of your equation solved. What you need now is something to handle the modern digital devices that are available to you, starting with your computer.

You can spend a lot of money on this aspect of your trip to audio nirvana, but I believe in baby steps. A good start could be a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11. This little baby is an affordable digital front end to an all analog system, and even incorporates a tube buffer.

One thing about me - money for home stereo would come AFTER money for computer sound system - that is my livelihood and makes me more money in the end, which by the way is a major reason why my home audio sound system is not as it could / should / would be. Even before the kids / cars and usual stuff, my computers and programs and other playback equipment is paramount to me. It's not always so much the clearness of the audio as the LOUDNESS of the audio for me and being able to adjust tone. The audio I deal with can rarely be classified as anything that anyone or anything can make clean, clear and crisp, so I need something I can manipulate the tone and volume after running through some of the programs I have to clean it up. And it's not music I am listening too, which makes it more difficult because every audio file is different - entirely different.

Thanks for the info - going to check it out and have my friend work with me on the possibilities. Will keep you posted with progress. Thanks again.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:03 pm

What the hell else is there besides music ? Just what do you listen to ? Must be Rap or that other stuff. I can't think of it right now. Neither one are what I'd call music ! :D
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Chauss wrote:Hey Rick- I see you use Formby's Lemon oil too! That stuff works fantastic for bringing wood / veneer back to it's original luster! =D> =D> =D> :D That is the only thing I use on my speakers. It brought a pair of Polk SDA's back to "as new" condition for me!

Shortcake- for PC audio- to get great sound it all starts with the right DAC! :D As they say....GIGO!

Cheers!~

Yes Dan,
I just picked it up for the KLF-10's and KG-1.2's. They're looking a little dull. I hate that ! :)
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:What the hell else is there besides music ? Just what do you listen to ? Must be Rap or that other stuff. I can't think of it right now. Neither one are what I'd call music ! :D

People talking. Lots and lots of people talking. I try to have music as much as possible in the background, even if just a boom box - I'd settle for a transistor after work. As for music - I listen to everything. Not much rap, but not off my list either. Depends on my mood.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:15 pm

How the heck does one make a living from listening to people talk ?
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:How the heck does one make a living from listening to people talk ?

Maybe I should make you figure that one out too??? Be interesting to see what some come up with when they try. Let's say I own my own business that listens to people talk and you have probably read about it. Matter of fact, I can almost guarantee you have read what I have heard....Oh the things I hear....
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:28 pm

Now I know ! Went to your website. :) I'll bet you hear all kinds of juicy stuff ! :-#
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Absolutely - everything from soup to nuts, on any topic you can come up with, with the exception of carver audio systems lol...but give me time.
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Bills advice is right on the money, here is one on Agon for $215.

http://show.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/st.pl?dgtlconv&1304466339&item&Grantfidelity&4&5&6&http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs.plQQANYAAKEYWAApurlsrchAAEXYAAstAAAAAAgrant

That and a USB cable and you will be shocked how good your music can be.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

Shortcake

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:56 pm

FredRydr wrote:SOLD - My MX130 "The Receiver" Serial No. 41001025. I am the original purchaser from Bryn Mawr Stereo on 23 Nov 1984. (After 28 years, I am buying a new Peachtree Nova amp, but will be using my Carver SD/A-360 and a Carver TX-8.)

The MX130 has been to Carver's Lynwood WA service center over the years, and I have all the receipts, paperwork and correspondence on that. I am not a technician, but in layman's terms, the only issue is the sound to the left channel will fade at low volume, and pops back up when I turn up the volume. I bought a pair of output relays that I was advised to install to remedy that, and those are included in the sale.

Cosmetically it is perfect. Everything lights up as it should. And it works! 130 watts.

In the original box with all papers and records, including the original:
- User's Manual
- Sales brochure of full range of Carver products with description of Sonic Holography
- Carver-issued reviews of "The Receiver" in a booklet of reprints from Audio, Stereo Review and Ovation magazines

$100 plus shipping via PayPal, or cash if in person. To calculate shipping from Carlisle PA, 17013 to your location: 24 lbs., 21x9x21 inches. Both UPS (recommended) and USPS are convenient to me.

Thanks!

Fred
fredh (.at.) paonline...DOT...com

Update so far on this transaction and Fred...I love that he communicates all the way through. I cannot wait to get my grubby little hands on this receiver - but dealing with him has been a treasure. Finding this deal and dealing with Fred has made joining the forum worth it all by itself. Thanks FredR
PreviousNext

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies