Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Carver Home Theater Discussions and Questions
User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Looking at purchasing a set of passive subs in the near future. The manufacture recommends an amp capable of 500 watts RMS @ 8 ohm, but I can obviously make due with less. I am looking to see what options I have besides pro amps (like the QSC G5X) and just curious as well.

I am curious what amps you guys would run with passive subs. I am thinking possibly something likt the M 1.5t, or the M 1.0t

Spec's for the subs can be found here: http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.p ... Itemid=143

The room they will be in is 21'6 x 13'6 x 8'.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

PT 2400. 8-[ I heard Kingman has a couple and he'll sell one cheap to finance a pair of CRM-2s! :lol: :lol:
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

User avatar
treitz3
"Julian"
"Julian"
Posts: 7805
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: The tube lair in Charlotte, NC

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by treitz3 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 pm

If you are looking at Carver amps? The M1.0t hands down IME. I had that one running with a Velodyne SMS-1 [recommended] and a VMPS larger ran in mono configuration. While the amp may not shine overall, it's an accurate absolute haus when it comes to lower frequency reproduction. The MKII will bring that amp up to the next level as well. Another amp I would recommend for that application would be an amp specifically built by Klauss. Here's his link...

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-st ... tereo.html

Talk to him to see what he has to offer. Sometimes he has rebuilt or traded in amplifiers in stock. Word to the wise, if you get anything custom built from him, be prepared to wait for up to 3 months. You might also want to look on the 'gone for used deals with these. With either one of these choices, you can't go wrong. You might also want to contact Tom at Pittsburgh High-Fi to see what he has in stock. What is your budget?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Have you considered plate amps? Dayton audio has a 500 watter and so does Bash. Built in crossovers etc. might be worth looking into.
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 pm

jjptkd wrote:PT 2400. 8-[ I heard Kingman has a couple and he'll sell one cheap to finance a pair of CRM-2s! :lol: :lol:
You read my mind.... :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:28 pm

jjptkd wrote:Have you considered plate amps? Dayton audio has a 500 watter and so does Bash. Built in crossovers etc. might be worth looking into.

Problem is that they arent rated very well for 8 ohms which is what each sub would be.


Budget would be about 400 total (about what the QSC M5X would cost), but its money NOT in my pocket currently. Planning in advance here, so when its time to pull the trigger I know what to get....

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:18 pm

You could buy a single 1000 watt Dayton, run the 2 18s in parallel to get your 4 ohm load, 500 watts each. Or just get a pair of the 1000 watters, they would be 500 @ 8ohm each if you're running stereo subs in separate cabinets. I think they're around $400 a piece new, shipped to your door.
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

jjptkd wrote:You could buy a single 1000 watt Dayton, run the 2 18s in parallel to get your 4 ohm load, 500 watts each. Or just get a pair of the 1000 watters, they would be 500 @ 8ohm each if you're running stereo subs in separate cabinets. I think they're around $400 a piece new, shipped to your door.
I am wanting to run them independent of each other so when I purchase a new AVR w/ Audyseey XT32 I am all set to EQ them independent of each other.

The QSC is 400 for 2 channels of more than enough wattage (at both 8 and 4 ohm), whereas getting a pair of the 1k dayton plate amps are double that price

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:48 pm

If you can independently and adequately power 2 18" subs for $400, I'd say you have a winner! 8)
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 pm

EndersShadow wrote:
jjptkd wrote:You could buy a single 1000 watt Dayton, run the 2 18s in parallel to get your 4 ohm load, 500 watts each. Or just get a pair of the 1000 watters, they would be 500 @ 8ohm each if you're running stereo subs in separate cabinets. I think they're around $400 a piece new, shipped to your door.
I am wanting to run them independent of each other so when I purchase a new AVR w/ Audyseey XT32 I am all set to EQ them independent of each other.

The QSC is 400 for 2 channels of more than enough wattage (at both 8 and 4 ohm), whereas getting a pair of the 1k dayton plate amps are double that price
Or my PT-2400 rated 750 at 8 ohms stereo or 2400 watts mono into 8 ohms. Serial # 8.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:57 pm

How much... :-k :-k
Oppo Sonica DAC / Pre
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Cherry RF-5's w/ RC-7 Horn & Crossover

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:14 pm

kingman wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:
jjptkd wrote:You could buy a single 1000 watt Dayton, run the 2 18s in parallel to get your 4 ohm load, 500 watts each. Or just get a pair of the 1000 watters, they would be 500 @ 8ohm each if you're running stereo subs in separate cabinets. I think they're around $400 a piece new, shipped to your door.
I am wanting to run them independent of each other so when I purchase a new AVR w/ Audyseey XT32 I am all set to EQ them independent of each other.

The QSC is 400 for 2 channels of more than enough wattage (at both 8 and 4 ohm), whereas getting a pair of the 1k dayton plate amps are double that price
Or my PT-2400 rated 750 at 8 ohms stereo or 2400 watts mono into 8 ohms. Serial # 8.
I do agree that amp is a BEAST, but with a budget of 400 when that time comes I have this feeling its out of reach as I think that amp is valued much higher than that, and I would not want to insult you with a low offer :D

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2650
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: manning, sc

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by angelod307 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:39 pm

tfm55's and 300x2's whip major ass. then the 35 as those are the ones i have and used. 55 is no joke. i am told the 760x is a little better than the 55 by others.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:07 pm

I do agree that amp is a BEAST, but with a budget of 400 when that time comes I have this feeling its out of reach as I think that amp is valued much higher than that, and I would not want to insult you with a low offer
...PM me with your insult...it won't be the first or last time and you never know..... :-k
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:09 pm

kingman wrote:
I do agree that amp is a BEAST, but with a budget of 400 when that time comes I have this feeling its out of reach as I think that amp is valued much higher than that, and I would not want to insult you with a low offer
...PM me with your insult...it won't be the first or last time and you never know..... :-k
I will PM you when I have the money hand, otherwise its even more insulting lol.

But now I know what I should be looking out for....

Post Reply

Return to “Carver Home (Theater)”