FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

EndersShadow wrote:Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?

YES!!! If you keep the volume below deafening level it will work, but if you drive it hard a couple of things can happen..1) Lights dim as the circuit is over drained 2) Fuses in you panel will blow as too much current is being drawn. 3) Power will be limited to the current the circuit can provide so headroom will be diminished. Don't worry too much though...I have all mine run through a 15 amp circuit and have never blown a fuse although a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

jjptkd

User avatar

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2883

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm

Location: Snohomish, WA

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!!


I don't even want to ask! =; =; :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?

YES!!! If you keep the volume below deafening level it will work, but if you drive it hard a couple of things can happen..1) Lights dim as the circuit is over drained 2) Fuses in you panel will blow as too much current is being drawn. 3) Power will be limited to the current the circuit can provide so headroom will be diminished. Don't worry too much though...I have all mine run through a 15 amp circuit and have never blown a fuse although a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:



Cool, I figured as much. As this is an apartment I dont figure on running ANYTHING 100% volume lol. I dont get above 50 (out of 75) on my Integra when watching movies so I doubt I would be even at 1/4th the gain on that amp with those subs...

Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15 #-o #-o
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

  Code:
Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15 
...2 words...power strip. 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:
  Code:
Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15 
...2 words...power strip. 8)


LOL, yeah but I hate to do that. Might need to just invest in something like this: http://signalcable.com/magicextension.html

Image
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Same deal just fancier. Don't use a power conditioner as it will limit the current draw to the amp.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:07 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:Same deal just fancier. Don't use a power conditioner as it will limit the current draw to the amp.



I was planning on running it along with the AV705x through my APC H15 (which I know will limit the current, but it has voltage regulation and surge protection)...... hence my comment about connecting 3 plugs to 2 connectors (the H15 has 2 high current outlets)
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

I was planning on running it along with the AV705x
...all Carver amps are designed to be plugged directly into the wall. No need for a conditioner....henders the current pull=NOT GOOD!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:
I was planning on running it along with the AV705x
...all Carver amps are designed to be plugged directly into the wall. No need for a conditioner....henders the current pull=NOT GOOD!!!!


I am aware, but if we get hit by a power surge then I just lost both amps and more than likely the speakers connected to them... thats darn near 3k in gear....

I have used the 705x both plugged directly into the wall, and in the H15 and noticed no difference at the volume levels I listen at.
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

User avatar

TFM-45

Posts: 634

Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Location: Indiana

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

kingman wrote:In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!


Yup, that is a true statement. Numbers/spec's dont matter if they dont sound good to you. Trust me when we purchase a house I am going to have a breakout panel installed strictly for my HT stuff so I can run it all off that, and will be putting a whole home surge protector on the box, running the amps on their own circuit and the rest of the gear off a different one.
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5607

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Good for you...and in the mean time purchase a good power strip. Cheap insurance.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.