Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Carver Home Theater Discussions and Questions
User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm

Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

EndersShadow wrote:Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?
YES!!! If you keep the volume below deafening level it will work, but if you drive it hard a couple of things can happen..1) Lights dim as the circuit is over drained 2) Fuses in you panel will blow as too much current is being drawn. 3) Power will be limited to the current the circuit can provide so headroom will be diminished. Don't worry too much though...I have all mine run through a 15 amp circuit and have never blown a fuse although a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
jjptkd
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 3050
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Snohomish, WA

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by jjptkd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:32 pm

kingman wrote:a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!!
I don't even want to ask! =; =; :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oppo Sonica DAC
Sunfire TG-III
Sunfire 300x2
Klipsch Chorus II

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:35 pm

kingman wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:Kingman, I do have a question for you.

I will be running this amp as well as ALL my other gear off one circuit (assume its a 15 amp circuit as well). As I am renting having more circuits run isnt really something I want to look at.

If I keep the gain low on this amp can I run it off the same circuit as my other gear?
YES!!! If you keep the volume below deafening level it will work, but if you drive it hard a couple of things can happen..1) Lights dim as the circuit is over drained 2) Fuses in you panel will blow as too much current is being drawn. 3) Power will be limited to the current the circuit can provide so headroom will be diminished. Don't worry too much though...I have all mine run through a 15 amp circuit and have never blown a fuse although a brown out occurs on a regular basis!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cool, I figured as much. As this is an apartment I dont figure on running ANYTHING 100% volume lol. I dont get above 50 (out of 75) on my Integra when watching movies so I doubt I would be even at 1/4th the gain on that amp with those subs...

Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15 #-o #-o

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Code: Select all

Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15  
...2 words...power strip. 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:51 pm

kingman wrote:

Code: Select all

Now my only problem is figuring out how I would run the connections since I would have 3 amp connections (AV705x + PT2400's) off the 2 High Current outlets on my H15  
...2 words...power strip. 8)
LOL, yeah but I hate to do that. Might need to just invest in something like this: http://signalcable.com/magicextension.html

Image

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:55 pm

Same deal just fancier. Don't use a power conditioner as it will limit the current draw to the amp.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:07 pm

kingman wrote:Same deal just fancier. Don't use a power conditioner as it will limit the current draw to the amp.

I was planning on running it along with the AV705x through my APC H15 (which I know will limit the current, but it has voltage regulation and surge protection)...... hence my comment about connecting 3 plugs to 2 connectors (the H15 has 2 high current outlets)
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 pm

I was planning on running it along with the AV705x
...all Carver amps are designed to be plugged directly into the wall. No need for a conditioner....henders the current pull=NOT GOOD!!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:23 pm

kingman wrote:
I was planning on running it along with the AV705x
...all Carver amps are designed to be plugged directly into the wall. No need for a conditioner....henders the current pull=NOT GOOD!!!!
I am aware, but if we get hit by a power surge then I just lost both amps and more than likely the speakers connected to them... thats darn near 3k in gear....

I have used the 705x both plugged directly into the wall, and in the H15 and noticed no difference at the volume levels I listen at.

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:46 pm

In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

User avatar
EndersShadow
TFM-55
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by EndersShadow » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

kingman wrote:In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Yup, that is a true statement. Numbers/spec's dont matter if they dont sound good to you. Trust me when we purchase a house I am going to have a breakout panel installed strictly for my HT stuff so I can run it all off that, and will be putting a whole home surge protector on the box, running the amps on their own circuit and the rest of the gear off a different one.

User avatar
kingman
(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs
Posts: 6370
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: Upstate South Carolina

Re: Carver amp for 2 18" 8 ohm subs

Post by kingman » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Good for you...and in the mean time purchase a good power strip. Cheap insurance.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!

Post Reply

Return to “Carver Home (Theater)”