It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Do HDMI cables make any difference?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Do HDMI cables make any difference?

Alright now, stop laughing. I know I'm a prime supporter of audio cables making [sometimes] an incredible difference to the end result as to what hits your ears but this question is on a completely different subject with gear that's not geared 100% toward higher fidelity. I'm talking about HDMI cables this time and I need a lesson on what you know. Please allow me to pick your brains and knowledge on a subject I know nothing about.

I currently have 2 HDMI cables. One goes from the Sony BDP to the TV and the other goes from the recently upgraded high definition Directv box [which BTW DOES have better sound, compared to the standard DTV box]. I see now that they have high speed HDMI cables and HDMI cables going into the hundreds of dollars. Since I'm new into the HT crowd [on a 2 channel setup, SparkyIII], I need to know what you already know. That said, help me out.

If I do spend extra dollars on a HDMI cable upgrade, should I expect any kind of a performance boost in terms of sound?

My dad told me once that HDMI cables do not make a difference whatsoever after reading endlessly about these things about 3 or 4 years ago. Well, the audiophile in me has got me curious. It makes perfect sense to me that if just one IC can make or break my rig in so many told and untold ways it's ridiculous.....that maybe an HDMI cable can do the same thing with the sound. Tell me what you know or have observed. Teach me, I need to learn from the folks that know.

School is now in session and I'm all ears.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Re: Do HDMI cables make any difference?

I vote no as to weather they make any difference. It is a digital signal and as long as the signal gets there it will sound the same.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:27 pm

I thought the sound was still analog? :-s
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:37 pm

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data. It is a digital alternative to consumer analog standards, such as radio frequency (RF) coaxial cable, composite video, S-Video, SCART, component video, D-Terminal, or VGA (also called D-sub or DE-15F). HDMI connects digital audio/video sources (such as set-top boxes, DVD players, HD DVD players, Blu-ray Disc players, AVCHD camcorders, personal computers (PCs), video game consoles (such as the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii U), AV receivers, tablet computers, and mobile phones) to compatible digital audio devices, computer monitors, video projectors, and digital televisions.:D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Apparently, I was incorrect in my assumption. So the TV and Directv receiver does the D/A conversion and there will be no change [in theory]?

How could I, if there is a way, improve upon the sound?

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:04 pm

I don't know about sound but it does improve picture quality.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Come on Tom, you of all people should know ALL cables are the same!!!! :^o :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Not in the digital realm. On this subject, I know nothing at all. That's why I'm asking. I mean, I didn't even know that an HDMI cable was digital and not analog. That's how little I know about said subject. Analog? I can teach and offer suggestions based upon experience. Digital? might as well be a damned computer to me 'cause I know jack shit.

That's why I'm trying to learn from the experts that know what I don't know.

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

The only way to improve the sound is to run the HDMI out of your DTV receiver to a decent surround sound pre or receiver then out to the speakers or to seperate amplification then speakers. If the pre /receiver has HDMI in it should have a DAC built in....

If you just want to run "stereo" connect to the red and white audio jacks (composite video out jacks) on your DTV receiver and use the HDMI to your TV-- :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Could I not get a DAC between the DTV receiver and the pre I currently have? I'm not willing to get a full fledged HT setup. What I have works great now, just looking to improve the sound is all......

[EDIT:] Damn, you edited. #-o

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 pm

treitz3 wrote:Could I not get a DAC between the DTV receiver and the pre I currently have? I'm not willing to get a full fledged HT setup. What I have works great now, just looking to improve the sound is all......

[EDIT:] Damn, you edited. #-o

Yes......but it will be 5 channel sound if it is Dolby Digital broadcast- look at my post just above yours...i think we were typing at the same time??? I added the "stereo" comment-
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Your'e right.

Ci, ci, you got time for a call after the hopefully great fish dinner or is it time for Santa to be treated to a little special somethin'?

<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:34 am

I don't know about sound, but I do believe it makes a difference with the vidio portion. My kid streams neflix to his TV and we did see serious banding on a supposedly HD broadcast. The sales manager at HH gregg tried convincing me to buy a monster cable because he said I would see a difference.

KNowing what I know, you know cables DON't make a difference, I used a mono price cable.

I run the audio to my TGIV with a coax cable and the video to the TV with HDMI.

My kid still watches banding on his netflix movies... #-o
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

rdgrimes

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:16 am

tinpan wrote:My kid still watches banding on his netflix movies... #-o

Which has nothing to do with the cable. Netflix "HD" at best has a compressed image that's more or less comparable to a high-quality DVD. On a slowish internet connection it's worse. They like to fib to you about 1080 "resolution", but it's the bit rate that determines image quality.

All "High Speed" HDMI cables are identical in terms of audio/video function as long as they are not defective.
M-500t / M-4.0t Silver Seven
C-1 x 2 / C-2 / CT-Seven
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400x5
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:25 am

I personally do not see a difference between HDMI cables since its an all digital signal. The ONLY thing I have heard mentioned is that a better cable might help reduce jitter that may exist in a cheaper cable. I have been using 5 dollar Monoprice HDMI cables mostly and purchased a 25 buck 3 foot cable as well. Between the two I cant tell a difference.

HOWEVER there was a guy on the Polk Forums (Mantis) that actually DID hear a noticeable difference when purchasing a decent HDMI cable. Might make for an interesting read

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthr ... light=hdmi
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)