FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 pm

ALiii Spikes?

<<

indyaudio

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:31 am

ALiii Spikes?

Wondering if any of you ALiii owners have spiked your pair and if so, did you realize improved bass response?

I just upgrade my woofs to Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1s and am going back in next week while on vacation to upgrade internal wiring to the xovers, swap out the mounting screws with better hardware, and replace the gaskets (mine were missing altogether). While I'm laying both of them down, wondering about drilling the bases and adding some Parts Express spikes, what say ye?

I must admit the bases make moving these bad boys around pretty easy on my carpeted floor (over concrete basement floor). Spiking will be a freaking nightmare to maneuver around. Heck, my little KEF 104/2 (by comparison) are spiked and moving them around is a bitch. I wind up dancing them around, tipping on one spike and walking them unless I need to pick them up and move them a few feet at a time. Also, the ALs are pretty "tippy" already, would hate to make it worse with spikes.

But, you know what "they" say about spiking and connecting to the floor below when on carpet.

Interested to hear from you all on this topic and apologies if it's covered in a thread somewhere already...I did check, but keep getting distracted reading many old threads on all of this addictive audio stuff. And thus, I am a newbie:)

Thanks in advance guys.
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
McIntosh - C28, C26, C24 preamps; MC30 monoblocks, MC2205, MC2120 amps
Carver - M4.0t amp; CT17 preamp; C9 Holography; Digital Time Lens; SDA360 CD
Sunfire 300~2 (2) & Dynaco ST-70 tube (2) amps
Jolida tube & Linn Karik CD; Rega P2 & Marantz 6300 Turntables
Arcam rDAC
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:59 am

Re: ALiii Spikes?

Spikes are a must do tweak.

If you're looking at those two piece spikes at PE there's better choices.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:33 am

I have a set of Meniscus Audio Brass spikes I bought that I am not currently using. I believe they use the same threading as the PE spikes.

I could let you use them for a bit to see if they make a difference for you. If you like the way they sound you can just replace my set from them. If you don't like the way they sound, all you've done is put some screwholes in the bottom of your bases no one will see.

P.S. if you do spike, purchase some moving men to put under the spikes so you can still slide the speakers across the floor. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Here is a link to my spikes: http://meniscusaudio.com/extra-points-p-208.html

Now that I think about it, I have the spikes that came with my LSi 15's you can have if you want them. They are threaded 1/20 thread I think and the spike part loosk kinda like the link below, my only concern would be if they bent under the weight of the AL-III's. The LSi 15's are 66 lbs, but they use the same spikes on the 25's which are 91 lbs so you should be fine....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=240-725
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:47 am

F1nut wrote:Spikes are a must do tweak.

I completely agree, Jesse. I have yet to hear a speaker that can't benefit from the addition of spikes. EndersShadow, the spikes you are using are the exact spikes I use on the Tyler's.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am

Re:

treitz3 wrote:

I completely agree, Jesse. I have yet to hear a speaker that can't benefit from the addition of spikes. EndersShadow, the spikes you are using are the exact spikes I use on the Tyler's.

I just took a couple quick pics (taken with iPhone) to show the differences. The thread for the Meniscus spike wasnt tightened down all the way. The LSi spike is using the Meniscus T-Nut since I dont need them for my LSi's...

"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Give me a call and we could meet up later today or Monday if you want. Also the brass spikes look nicer I just didn't clean them before snapping that pic
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm

They are threaded 1/20 thread I think

The thread pattern for Polk speakers is 1/4-20.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 pm

MY GOD!!! WHAT NEXT????...Drilling holes in the AL III's is not the answer!!!! They are aready tiltled towards the back. Maybe put "karma" rocks on the sub module. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 pm

Could you name them and post some links?
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:56 pm

They are threaded 1/20 thread I think

Nope. M6 is fairly common as well... which looks just like 1/4-20 but ain't.

-Paul
<<

indyaudio

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:11 pm

EndersShadow wrote:I have a set of Meniscus Audio Brass spikes I bought that I am not currently using. I believe they use the same threading as the PE spikes.

I could let you use them for a bit to see if they make a difference for you. If you like the way they sound you can just replace my set from them. If you don't like the way they sound, all you've done is put some screwholes in the bottom of your bases no one will see.

P.S. if you do spike, purchase some moving men to put under the spikes so you can still slide the speakers across the floor. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Now that I think about it, I have the spikes that came with my LSi 15's you can have if you want them. They are threaded 1/20 thread I think and the spike part loosk kinda like the link below, my only concern would be if they bent under the weight of the AL-III's. The LSi 15's are 66 lbs, but they use the same spikes on the 25's which are 91 lbs so you should be fine....

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=240-725

EndersShadow, thanks much for the offer, I like the brass spikes you have, look suitable stout to put under these towering speakers. One question - I thought the whole point to spikes was to make a direct connection between the spike point and the concrete floor below. Why would you put anything underneath them or use the little discs that come with them (other than to protect a non carpeted floor from damage)?
Main Room System(s):
Speakers - Polk SRS 1.2TL; Carver ALiii; KEF 101, 104/2; Pioneer HPM150; JBL S7R Sovereign, L112, 4312, 43111
Arcam rDAC
<<

indyaudio

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:14 pm

F1Nut, thanks for the reply. I purchased a set of these (Dayton black chrome spikes DSS3-BC) from PE awhile ago, for smaller speakers. I think they are too narrow and a bit long for the ALs.

http://www.carveraudio.com/index.php/forum
Main Room System(s):
Arcam rDAC
<<

indyaudio

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:16 pm

kingman wrote:MY GOD!!! WHAT NEXT????...Drilling holes in the AL III's is not the answer!!!! They are aready tiltled towards the back. Maybe put "karma" rocks on the sub module. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Kingman, good point (no pun intended). Didn't realize they are tilted, the spiking may be an issue with added tipping. Hmmmm, wondering what to do here. Some low, squatty spikes, if at all. Has anyone actually spiked an ALiii?
Main Room System(s):
Arcam rDAC
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:29 pm

indyaudio wrote:
EndersShadow wrote:P.S. if you do spike, purchase some moving men to put under the spikes so you can still slide the speakers across the floor. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

EndersShadow, thanks much for the offer, I like the brass spikes you have, look suitable stout to put under these towering speakers. One question - I thought the whole point to spikes was to make a direct connection between the spike point and the concrete floor below. Why would you put anything underneath them or use the little discs that come with them (other than to protect a non carpeted floor from damage)?

The moving men would ONLY be used to re-adjust them. Once located in their final position you would remove them....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
Next

Return to Carver Speakers