FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 am

Need a needle for my turn table

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Need a needle for my turn table

What's your budget? Micro-Benz makes some GREAT cartidges for a little over $100.00

Ortofon is another good value.

Check out: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Stor ... 4AodIWXsBA
Last edited by TNRabbit on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:54 am

You could try NEEDLEDOCTOR.com. I have bought cartridges, needles, and cables from them.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:56 am

TNRabbit wrote:What's your budget? Micro-Benz makes some GREAT cartidges for a little over $100.00

Ortofon is another good value.

Checko out: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Stor ... 4AodIWXsBA

Hey Rabbit you beat me to it! Stop reading my mind!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

My .02---Buy a NOS Denon cartridge from either Audiogon or eBay. Best buy for the money! :D Some vendors like Needle Dr may still have some in stock also. I have an Ortofon Blue MM I will sell you if interested it has less than 30 hrs on it. I much prefer the Denon HOMC (DL110 / DL160) over the MM cart's.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Yes and no....you need to make sure the tracking force and weight of your tonearm will work with the cartridge--usually not as much an issue with MM cart's as it is with MC. You also need to have the proper pre amplification between the 2- MM or MC (usually 1 or the other- 2 completely different impedance / gain stages)

If you are looking fore something to go with the Denon you posted in your man cave post I think you would be happy with the DL-110 I recommended earlier. (even better the DL-160- but they are getting real hard to find) Has a lot of similarities with the high end cartridges sound wise. It is a HOMC (high output moving coil) cartridge so it will work with an MM gain stage.

Good luck with your choice as there are a TON of good ones out there!
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:38 am

You must have been reading my mind too.

Last week I was thinking about finally trying to get a cartridge for my Pioneer PL- L800 Tangential Tracking turntable........yeah I have had it since 1981 when it was with my Phase Linear 4000 and the Carver Cube :lol:

I haven't used it for about 25 years now which sure helps keep the half-speed remastered vinyl like new.

Way back then I just replaced the stylus and the first time I went to play it I used the LP cleaner and it snapped right off .....I guess my hand wasn't steady that day :?

Then I gave the cartridge to a friend who said he would try to find one that matched so I could just plug it in again.

Never saw the cartridge again and haven't seen him for over a decade now either.

So I was going to ask you guys late at night and this was the 1st I think.

First I looked around the web and just wasn't sure which would be the best cartridge for me and I wanted it to be from an American company.

Then I just never got back here to ask you guys.

Anyway....do you see a good cartridge for my turntable for a middle of the road price????

I read some reviews and some people bitched about ones like the Ortofon Red and some liked it.

I know a few of you would be able to show me the one I need.

I would love to play a few now that my Carver CD player needs a repair and I haven't got around to just finding the original box which I should have stashed here somewhere.

Ok its 2:40 am.......guess I better get ready for Friday the 13th 8)

<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 am

The Ortofon 2M Red is highly reviewed and, since my friend owns one, I must personally say that it sounds darn good for the money ($99). Another modestly priced, American made unit, would be the Shure MX97xE. These can be had off Amazon, sometimes for as low as $59! (They're not price controlled like Ortofon products, but it looks like today's price is about $85.)
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm

stereo_buff wrote:The Ortofon 2M Red is highly reviewed and, since my friend owns one, I must personally say that it sounds darn good for the money ($99). Another modestly priced, American made unit, would be the Shure MX97xE. These can be had off Amazon, sometimes for as low as $59! (They're not price controlled like Ortofon products, but it looks like today's price is about $85.)

Thanks SB....any snow yet today?

Now I am checking that NeedleDoctor site (my wife asked why I was heading to my pc's with my wallet)

I have the list of Shure's here and that one you mentioned is cheap enough for me but do you think any of the others would be better or should I just get that Shure M97XE ??

I watched the video that have about it and it sounds ok.

I just checked Sweetwater and they don't have much.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M447H/

Like I said I haven't even had my turntable hooked up since over 15 years ago and I won't use it that much but when I do I want it to sound good.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Shure-Phono-Cartridges

The main thing is it has to plug right into this old beast

<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 pm

Dies that use a P mount?
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

speakerlabfan

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

The Shure M97xe is a lot of cartridge for 50 or 60 bucks. I have one on Technics direct drive, and it works well for me. Lots of midrange detail - maybe too much but can't be too picky for a solid performer in that price range. I purchased through amazon. Shure is a great US based company and they stand behind their products and warranties in my experience.
Phase Linear Andromedas, 2000 II Pre, 5100 II Tuner
Carver Amazings - original and silver, M500t,C-1, C-4000, PM 1.5, M200t
Manley Stingray; Cambridge Audio DacMagic, 640p; Pro-ject Tube Box SE II
McIntosh MC2205, C28
JBL 4430, 4425, 4311B
Rega P5, Benz Micro Wood, Cary/AES AE-3 Preamp
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 am

TNRabbit wrote:Dies that use a P mount?

YES it's a P mount .

I was looking at all the cartridges and it has been decades since I was doing this all the time so I forget which ones connect to certain turnrables.

Hard to tell just by the pics since this P mount looks like it takes the 4 pins but the arm is pencil size so I can hardly see the plug these days :?

Hell I even tried to find the original PC-4MC moving coil type just so I knew it would work.

So if that Shure M97xe plugs in to mine that sound ok unless they make one a bit better for around $100 or so.

Let me know what you think.

speakerlabfan wrote:The Shure M97xe is a lot of cartridge for 50 or 60 bucks. I have one on Technics direct drive, and it works well for me. Lots of midrange detail - maybe too much but can't be too picky for a solid performer in that price range. I purchased through amazon. Shure is a great US based company and they stand behind their products and warranties in my experience.

Yeah that is cheap and sounds like it is good after listening to that video review they had at the NeedleDoctor site.

Hell when I first got this turntable I was playing it through a pair of SpeakerLab 7's I built hundreds of years ago and at that time was planning on building those Corner Horns a friend had a pair running his top of the line Phase Linear amp and preamp at the time and my first listen was playing the just released Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti double album which I still have (you can tell I rarley let things go)

It was my 17th birthday present.

This was back when I saw Bob Carver at Speakerlab when he was there showing off something......hell that was about 37 years ago so I hardly remember back then :lol:

But if one of the Shure's will P mount onto my tone arm I will order it for sure.

I have been CD'ing it so long I forget all of the turntable facts.

<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 am

According to the manual for your turntable (available on vinylengine.com), it does NOT use a P mount! Among the cartridges suggested are a Shure V-15 Type III/IV. While the M97xE is not a V-15, it is similar in overall mass and dimensions, making it a suitable cartridge for your Pioneer PL- L800 turntable. However, I also see that the tonearm has adjustable VTA (of sorts) so it should be relatively compliant for use with several other cartridges as well. Good Luck!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 pm

When I look closely at the TT, it looks like a regular screws-from-the-top cartridge....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Gawd I can not get my damn camera to take a good pic of this tonearm when I want to :?

I read that manual on that site too but hell I never replaced one before and this is my only turntable the last 30+ years.

It looks like it may be a screw-lock on the top of the arm.

Here is a crappy pic.

It looks like it slides on the arm and then a screw on top-center.

Hell pick one out for me and give me the link so I can just order one before I ](*,) ](*,)

Under $150 is fine by me :?

(fuck I hate my camera when it does this bs)

They made a couple versions of this same turntable back then and mine is the 1981 version http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/12 ... 4m_20.jpeg

<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:02 pm

As far as I can tell, it looks like the headshell is missing.
Next

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum