It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:11 pm

I could use some advice......HDTV

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

I could use some advice......HDTV

I have been through 3 TV's here lately and I have finally settled on a Samsung 46" UN46D6050TF. It's one of those "smart TV's" but it's dealing with an owner that's not to educated on TV's. In fact, my first high-def TV was only a year or so, maybe less, when I got one of these fan-dangled things called a Blu-Ray player. Went from a 32" RCA [may have been smaller] to a 46" VIZIO piece of crap. Knowing after the first 20 minutes of hooking up the VIZIO that we were not keeping that, I went looking for recommended brands. Samsung was among them.

While at SAM's Club, I noticed this one TV that had a crystal clear picture. I wanted it but I didn't want a 50"+ TV. That's just WAYYYYyyyyy to big for my living room right now. The picture did excellent on action scenes for the demo they had running. I saw none of the HDTV "blur" that I just last night figured out what it actually was, after some time spent online. Well, I plopped in "Robin Hood" [Not the Prince of Thieves one, the newer one] on Blu-Ray and was a little disappointed that what I saw at SAM's Club wasn't what I was experiencing at home. Stunningly awesome but still....there's obviously room for improvement still.

So, after learning what HDTV blur was and ways to subdue it, I re-calibrated the TV to where the picture was outstanding. The best I had ever experienced but still not was quite what I saw in the store. Well, I'm not too gawd awful picky with the video [or so I thought] and figured that I would just learn to live with it. It looked great.

So, I come home today and everything I did last night was erased or set back to default. WTF? Now I have to start from scratch and I need to do this every time I turn the TV back on? I'm thinking no way. What would happen if I pay someone 3bills to calibrate my TV? I'd have to pay it again every time I turned it back on? No way. Well, I didn't see any "save" for the calibration and truth be told, I am admittedly a total and complete rookie when it comes to TV's.

Would anybody out there be willing to guide me in the right direction and offer a bit of advice, no matter how small or trivial that may be, to help me get the best out of my viewing experience?

[-o<

Here's the TV on Samsung's website >>> http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46D6050TFXZA
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: I could use some advice......HDTV

Pass on Samsung and go Panasonic Plasma (2D) . Youll be happier in the short and long run.
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:50 am

I am a HDTV junkie and have been since they came out.

I have 5 satellite dishes here too.

I have always been a Mitsubishi owner myself and have NEVER had any problems and they work perfect.

I started with a 35in CRT way back when that was the 2nd largest CRT version and it has a perfect picture no matter what angle you look at it and after many years I gave it to a relative and it still works after 25 years.

My next one is a 67in rear projection Mitsubishi HD which I got in 2002 and it still works great and is my bedroom HDTV

Now the current livingroom one is a 82in Mitsubishi DLP with 3-D and the USB connection for the web (they just came out with a 92in DLP)

The 82in DLP is GREAT from all angles even when you stand at the side and look across the screen......great watching NFL games :D

I have it connected to my Dishnet and the old C-band/KU band dishes and the Sony Blueray and 3-D

It works so nice I can't imagine ever replacing it since I don't think that new 92in would fit in my livingroom.

But if my 67in ever croaks I will replace it with the 92in in the master bedroom.

What is also great is you can get real good deals on these DLP's

I got the 82in with the 3-D kit and the Sony Blueray and a nice stand delivered for $3200

That is real hard to beat.....in fact I don't think it is possible to get a better setup at a price like that.

Sure you could get the 100in flat screen for $20,000 :lol:

Here is a pic to show just how big it is

And here is a picture I snapped on NY Eve with my cheap camera on one of the local channels on the 82in DLP (of course you can buy smaller versions)

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:17 am

gdb wrote:Pass on Samsung and go Panasonic Plasma (2D) . Youll be happier in the short and long run.

I would tend to agree as I've had mine for about 5 years without a problem. My friend who has an led Samsung is amazed in the difference in picture quality.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 am

We have a Sony 46" Bravia in the living room, which we purchased a little over 2 years ago. Very happy with it. Superb picture, and very good sound. Of course would really like to upgrade to the 60", but that will have to wait until we win the lottery. Bought a 27" Vizeo for the bedroom, and it's just barely ok. Color and picture are no where near as good as the sony, and the volume control sucks. When at 1 on the volume, it's louder than I want when slipping off to sleep, but turning it down mutes the sound completely! ](*,)
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:50 am

treitz3 wrote:So, I come home today and everything I did last night was erased or set back to default. WTF? Now I have to start from scratch and I need to do this every time I turn the TV back on? I'm thinking no way. What would happen if I pay someone 3bills to calibrate my TV? I'd have to pay it again every time I turned it back on? No way. Well, I didn't see any "save" for the calibration and truth be told, I am admittedly a total and complete rookie when it comes to TV's.

Would anybody out there be willing to guide me in the right direction and offer a bit of advice, no matter how small or trivial that may be, to help me get the best out of my viewing experience?

Maybe it's this?

settings.JPG

If you spend a bit more time with the manual, I'm sure you'll get it.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:03 am

I've got a 42" Samsung Plasma and a 50" Panasonic Plasma, both are great TVs but they're a lot like nice stereos, garbage in garbage out type a deal. Also, the 50" I have doesn't look that great if you're too close, at least on Non-HD material. Seating distance is kind of a big deal with these TVs, the bigger the TV the further away you're suppose to be.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Personally I still have a 56" DLP that will be replaced shortly with a 60" Panasonic Plasma after doing years of research on LCD v. Plasma.

I will never go LCD as I hate motion blur and I have yet to see a LCD that is new out that doesnt have it as most of them all are 120hz or above.

I game lots on my Xbox and cannot handle it at all.

With that said anything bigger than 60" I would start to say go with a Projector if your in a room that you can keep dark when watching TV.

The price per inch cost in Plasma's/LCD v. Projector isnt that bad when you start getting into the big boy's and you have the added factor of being able to hide the screen.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm

do you have THE card????? :-" :-" :-"
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Another recommendation for Panasonic Plasma here.

Have both 50" and 42" Panasonics - never had an issue with either. To me, they have a natural picture with none of the blur in action scenes that the other types had (at least those in the same price range as the Panasonic).

And the price now - can get a 60" Panasonic at Costco now for just under a grand.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

kingman

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:34 pm

mbskeam wrote:

do you have THE card????? :-" :-" :-"

Had that for years with Direct TV. No can do now...you gotta way??? :-s All the channels...wide open...
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:57 pm

Any discussion about "The Card" I would suggest PM, instead of in an open public forum!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

kingman

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 pm

I see you are no stranger eh Don... :lol:
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Don wrote:Any discussion about "The Card" I would suggest PM, instead of in an open public forum!

Please add me to that

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

carlton8000

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:19 pm

Like others have said. Panny Plasma Calibrated.
Apple ATV2 (3)
Apogee Centaur Minor
Apogee Columns
Apogee Scintilla
B&O Beomaster 2400
Behringer B2092A
Carver ALS original
Carver C-9
Carver CT-7
Carver M-4.0t
Carver MXR-900
Carver TX-11