FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Need a needle for my turn table

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 pm

Re: Need a needle for my turn table

stereo_buff wrote:As far as I can tell, it looks like the headshell is missing.

Ditto.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:38 pm

stereo_buff wrote:As far as I can tell, it looks like the headshell is missing.

Ummm...yeah I must have just loosened that screw and slid it off and handed it to the guy that was supposed to find me a replacement and I never saw that again....over 15 years ago Image

So does this mean I am......Image

Do you think one of these headshells will work on mine with that Shure cartridge?
http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Store ... ells-Leads
ImageImageImage
<<

speakerlabfan

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am

Magic_Physicist wrote:
speakerlabfan wrote:The Shure M97xe is a lot of cartridge for 50 or 60 bucks. I have one on Technics direct drive, and it works well for me. Lots of midrange detail - maybe too much but can't be too picky for a solid performer in that price range. I purchased through amazon. Shure is a great US based company and they stand behind their products and warranties in my experience.

Yeah that is cheap and sounds like it is good after listening to that video review they had at the NeedleDoctor site.

Hell when I first got this turntable I was playing it through a pair of SpeakerLab 7's I built hundreds of years ago and at that time was planning on building those Corner Horns a friend had a pair running his top of the line Phase Linear amp and preamp at the time and my first listen was playing the just released Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti double album which I still have (you can tell I rarley let things go)

It was my 17th birthday present.

This was back when I saw Bob Carver at Speakerlab when he was there showing off something......hell that was about 37 years ago so I hardly remember back then :lol:

But if one of the Shure's will P mount onto my tone arm I will order it for sure.

I have been CD'ing it so long I forget all of the turntable facts.

I think you'll like the M97xe but make sure that you get good attenuation and balance from both channels on the cartridge. I've read reports of QC issues - they sell so many of these it's inevitable, I think and Shure will cover your costs with a replacement if you get a bad one. Not to mention Amazon if you buy from them - their return policy is outstanding.

Great story about seeing Bob at the Speakerlab store years ago, and the Phase Linears and Speakerlab 7's combination - those were the stuff of dreams back in the day and I remember auditioning speakers in their showroom with a big stack of Phase Linear at the controls. =D>
Phase Linear Andromedas, 2000 II Pre, 5100 II Tuner
Carver Amazings - original and silver, M500t,C-1, C-4000, PM 1.5, M200t
Manley Stingray; Cambridge Audio DacMagic, 640p; Pro-ject Tube Box SE II
McIntosh MC2205, C28
JBL 4430, 4425, 4311B
Rega P5, Benz Micro Wood, Cary/AES AE-3 Preamp
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:13 pm

If you're testing the water with vinyl again, maybe something like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-HS1-Headshell?sc=2&category=432 would be worth an exploratory venture without spending too much money up front. It should work fine with the Shure cartridge as well.
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:52 am

stereo_buff wrote:If you're testing the water with vinyl again, maybe something like this http://www.needledoctor.com/Audio-Technica-HS1-Headshell?sc=2&category=432 would be worth an exploratory venture without spending too much money up front. It should work fine with the Shure cartridge as well.

I'm just worried about those headshells locking firmly on the shaft on mine.

Will just plugging those little pins in to the shaft lock firmly?

Because it looks like the original one plugs in like that but part of it also slides over that shaft to lock it to the shaft.

And YES I would love to finally play my old vinyl since I have a nice collection in perfect condition and some half-speed remastered albums that have NEVER been played or even taken out of the package.

I still will probably leave the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Dark Side of the Moon unopened and unplayed but I have several others that I only played once and I would play them again since they are in perfect condition in those anti-static sleeves.

Those Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab virgin vinyl half-speed remastered are the best and I have seen the rare ones for sale for $100's

So if you think that headshell will work I will order that and the Shure cartridge and dust the turntable off and hook her back up to the C-19 again :D
ImageImageImage
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:42 am

The headshell connection scheme is somewhat universal, hence, the cottage industry selling them standalone. I think the one I linked to will work on your 'table, but why don't you give Hawthorne Stereo (http://www.hawthornestereo.com/) a call at 206-524-9609 when they're open (11 - 7, weekdays) and ask those guys? They've freely dispensed knowledge and advice to me in the past and, besides actively selling turntables all along, have seen most of the ones that have been produced over the years and are likely to be familiar with yours. Do you have a copy of both the service and owner's manuals for your 'table? You can download them both from vinylengine.com if not. Good Luck!
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 am

stereo_buff wrote:The headshell connection scheme is somewhat universal, hence, the cottage industry selling them standalone. I think the one I linked to will work on your 'table, but why don't you give Hawthorne Stereo (http://www.hawthornestereo.com/) a call at 206-524-9609 when they're open (11 - 7, weekdays) and ask those guys? They've freely dispensed knowledge and advice to me in the past and, besides actively selling turntables all along, have seen most of the ones that have been produced over the years and are likely to be familiar with yours. Do you have a copy of both the service and owner's manuals for your 'table? You can download them both from vinylengine.com if not. Good Luck!

Yeah I still have the original manual (and all my old Carver ones too of course)

I will give that a try since they are in Seattle and maybe get lucky finally :?
ImageImageImage
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:00 am

OK.....now remember how we talked about what cartridge I needed for my old linear tracking Pioneer PL-L800?

Well I ended up emailing Dr.Needle trying to have them figure out what I needed and the guy suggested a certain headshell to go with that Shure cartridge so I said OK....I will order it from your website.

So it showed up today via UPS and I open the box and have the turntable out and the first thing I see is there is now way it will work.

So I get on the phone and call them just before they close.

I explained the order and how I asked a certain employee what I should get for my turntable and mentioned I also saved the email reply from him.

The first thing he says is it must be a P MOUNT!

Shit......it figures.....so I had to put it all back in the box and use the replacement # he gave me and his name on the box and have to send it back to Minnesota and when they get it back then he will send me the damn P-Mount cartridge......the only good thing is he said I will be getting some money back too since the P-Mount costs less than what I got today :rolleyes:

OK......3am.....one more block of data to send over to Geneva on pc #8 and then fake sleep for a few hours :?

ImageImageImage
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Wow; guess we called that one from the beginning~

Never saw a linear TT that didn't have a P-mount...

Good luck!
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:36 pm

SHIT!

I got a replacement from Needle Doctor today and at first it looks like the Ortofon OMP 10 would plug right in BUT it does not!

WTF?

Do I have to mail them my turntable so they can try to figure this out??

So now I will get to ship this cartridge back too......can't wait to see how they screw up my credit card bill.

ImageImageImage
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 pm

That sucks! Time to chew someone's head off, figuratively speaking...
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:59 am

Well I finally made my first ever Ebay buy and I have been checking that place out for many years (for cars)

I was the only one that made the bid ($100) so I did a PayPal guest payment.

This place was actually selling the Pioneer PL-L800 linear tracker seperate from the cartridge and headshell I was looking for to replace mine FINALLY.

Funny thing is they both sold the same day and who ever bought that turntable (that he said worked once in a while) lives in Sequim WA which is west of me on hiway 101 and where most of my friends live Image

Seems strange that this happened.....must be a leap-year thing :lol:

At the same time of course we are getting snowed in but with a little luck it could rain and melt that damn stuff so I can make the trip to the post office when it arrives.

I haven't played a LP in over 15 years!!

I hope the stylus is in good shape.

ImageImageImage
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 am

Magic_Physicist wrote:I haven't played a LP in over 15 years!!

I hope the stylus is in good shape.

Looking at that headshell it will be very easy to replace the cartridge if required any standard screw mount cartridge will fit.
Good luck hope you enjoy your vinyl.

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
Previous

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum