FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Photo from Axpona

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Photo from Axpona

I was wondering about that myself, didn't make much sense to include a "Sunfire" sub with a new company offering. :? :?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:04 pm

I would love to hear a pair of CRM-2's paired with that sub \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, Music is in the ear of the Listener" - ME
"Arguing cables is like arguing religion. You are likely never going to change anyone's mind, and it is not much fun if you are sober" - nwohlford
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 pm

OK, some info on the CF tube amps from Bob F:

"We will provide an update on the schematics to all those who bought Carverfest amps, as well as provide the new parts at our cost plus freight to those who wish to upgrade their units.

Right now - this design is not finalized – we are waiting for Bob to test the custom wound power transformers (that will have less hum) and then I hope we can release it."

Also:
"And to specifically answer the question asked:

Changes being made will improve the reliability of the units as the power transformer rail voltages are being brought down so as to not exceed the rating on the tubes (and also wound differently so they do not hum so much).

There are some value tweaks for sonic improvement, layout mods to reduce cross talk, a mono switch (for a 40W mono amp option) and an input attenuator pot and chrome roll bar like on the big boy amps. We will also have nice silkscreened trims.

Also, it will still be point to point – but have blank circuit boards (no board traces) with swedged in turrets and parts soldered on by hand to reduce the “head in chassis” labor time for assembly. Much like the 180s and 305s actually."
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Martin1970 wrote:OK, some info on the CF tube amps from Bob F:

"We will provide an update on the schematics to all those who bought Carverfest amps, as well as provide the new parts at our cost plus freight to those who wish to upgrade their units.

Right now - this design is not finalized – we are waiting for Bob to test the custom wound power transformers (that will have less hum) and then I hope we can release it."

Also:
"And to specifically answer the question asked:

Changes being made will improve the reliability of the units as the power transformer rail voltages are being brought down so as to not exceed the rating on the tubes (and also wound differently so they do not hum so much).

There are some value tweaks for sonic improvement, layout mods to reduce cross talk, a mono switch (for a 40W mono amp option) and an input attenuator pot and chrome roll bar like on the big boy amps. We will also have nice silkscreened trims.

Also, it will still be point to point – but have blank circuit boards (no board traces) with swedged in turrets and parts soldered on by hand to reduce the “head in chassis” labor time for assembly. Much like the 180s and 305s actually."

Martin

Thanks for the update, looks like some interesting things are happening on our Baby Black Beauties

Brian
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:49 pm

I had a Subrosa at one time, beautiful speaker and its slim, 3.5" profile make it very unique. Performance wasn't what I expected, at least in my room. It didn't seem to hit as low, no where near as hard or play as loud as the True subwoofer MK II I had at the time. Upper frequencies may have been a little better, possibly making it a better match for the Sunfire ribbons but the inability to corner load the sub really hurt its total output, again, at least in my room, others may have had better experiences with it. :? :? Also, just because its thin does not mean its small. If I remember right, its about 4' wide. ](*,)
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:09 pm

jjptkd wrote:I had a Subrosa at one time, beautiful speaker and its slim, 3.5" profile make it very unique. Performance wasn't what I expected, at least in my room. It didn't seem to hit as low, no where near as hard or play as loud as the True subwoofer MK II I had at the time. Upper frequencies may have been a little better, possibly making it a better match for the Sunfire ribbons but the inability to corner load the sub really hurt its total output, again, at least in my room, others may have had better experiences with it. :? :? Also, just because its thin does not mean its small. If I remember right, its about 4' wide. ](*,)

Yeah, I saw the specs. I think its meant to be put between the CRM's but I could be wrong....

Interesting about it not performing as well as you would like. If I remember correctly it was made for the CRM's.
"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder, Music is in the ear of the Listener" - ME
"Arguing cables is like arguing religion. You are likely never going to change anyone's mind, and it is not much fun if you are sober" - nwohlford
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:14 pm

I think it was actually designed later for the "on-wall" CRS-3 line, all of which were designed to be mounted around a flat screen TV.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 pm

Here's a link to the brochure picturing the CRS-3 / Subrosa combo:

http://www.sunfire.com/brochures/Sunfir ... 08_web.pdf
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:01 am

Treitz3 wrote:Are you at liberty to say whether these changes are for the reliability of the unit or sound? Perhaps both?

mbskeam wrote:is this amp still going to be point to point, or will it have printed boards?
lower voltage?
so many ??????????????'s

Hi All,

The changes are for reliability as well as mechanical hum from the transformer. Not hum out of the speakers, just a low level buzz hum from the transformer itself. If you can't hear it from your listening position it does not need changing.
The screen voltage is regulated with the updates, along with new EH high voltage 6BQ5 tubes. Together they increase much needed reliability. And an increase in output power as well.

I am very happy with the sound, but the new output transformers give more power below 50 Hz. Not at all necessary if you use a powered subwoofer with your system.

Bob Carver
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Rabbit, I can't wait...can you? #-o

Seriously, this is fantastic news. I really like the idea of lower plate voltage, if that is what this means, then we would have more options for tube rolling.

I really like the pair I have, but honestly would like to see some of the hotness taken out. I took mine off my Lowthers because of fears of the supernova re appearing, plus I was hearing a whistle coming out of one amp. When I took the Lowthers off and put some lower efficiency Snells on the whistle disappeared.

I think these little kit amps far exceeded what anyone was expecting, but with a little up grading I think these will make the next transition.

Very cool and very nice of Bob to offer this. =D> =D> =D>
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, Carver Cherry 260's, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Klipsch Epic CF3

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Lowther Medallion Speakers PM5a driver, Rythmik F15 Sub

2 channel - Carverfest Mono Blocks, Grant Fidelity DAC, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Lowther Allerions DX-65 drivers
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:45 pm

tinpan wrote:I think these little kit amps far exceeded what anyone was expecting, but with a little up grading I think these will make the next transition.

I can tell you that the sound definitely surpassed my expectations. One thing we tried down at Jerry's pad was to A/B the stock CF amps, one with 12AX7's and the other with the original tubes [however, upgraded]. It was agreed by all there who observed the A/B that weekend that the 12AX7 had a clear superiority over the original type tubes. This was done on a pair of Apogee speakers, of all things. Not the easiest speaker to drive...but this amp held its own. Even against Jerry's VTL's at I believe more than 3X the power.

tinpan wrote:Very cool and very nice of Bob to offer this.

Indeed! =D>
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 pm

tinpan wrote:

Rabbit, I can't wait...can you? #-o

Seriously, this is fantastic news. I really like the idea of lower plate voltage, if that is what this means, then we would have more options for tube rolling.

I really like the pair I have, but honestly would like to see some of the hotness taken out. I took mine off my Lowthers because of fears of the supernova re appearing, plus I was hearing a whistle coming out of one amp. When I took the Lowthers off and put some lower efficiency Snells on the whistle disappeared.

I think these little kit amps far exceeded what anyone was expecting, but with a little up grading I think these will make the next transition.

Very cool and very nice of Bob to offer this. =D> =D> =D>

Robin, I have them all packed up & ready to go to Bob as soon as he sends me an address. I can ask him to go ahead & include the new power & output transformers if you'd like~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 pm

treitz3 wrote:
tinpan wrote:I think these little kit amps far exceeded what anyone was expecting, but with a little up grading I think these will make the next transition.

I can tell you that the sound definitely surpassed my expectations. One thing we tried down at Jerry's pad was to A/B the stock CF amps, one with 12AX7's and the other with the original tubes [however, upgraded]. It was agreed by all there who observed the A/B that weekend that the 12AX7 had a clear superiority over the original type tubes. This was done on a pair of Apogee speakers, of all things. Not the easiest speaker to drive...but this amp held its own. Even against Jerry's VTL's at I believe more than 3X the power.

Not quite the same comparison Jerry, Bob ( a friend of Jerry's) and I made- the 6AX7 lacks some in the deep bass / punch, but the detail compared to the 12AX7's is astounding. Guess it all depends on what kind of sound you like? Decided not to change mine out to the 12's- at least until I can no longer find good replacement tubes for the 6AX7's. If you like rock n roll- the 12's are probably the better choice. I helped Jerry set up / re-position the speakers too for better sound in his room. The little Black beauties sounded great driving the Apogee's- (I was shocked- because the Sunfire 300 x 2 did not sound near as good) but they did not have near the "air" the VTL's produce....not even close - but they did put up an amazing fight! These little puppies pack quite the PUNCH for such a "lightweight", Bob hit a homerun with this design!

~Cheers!~
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I'll send you an email, I'd be more than willing to pay him or his staff to install the upgrade and do the 12ax7 switch as well don't want to push it but if he will I'm interested

Once he gets the revised complete

Sorry to hijack your thread kingman
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, Carver Cherry 260's, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Klipsch Epic CF3

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Lowther Medallion Speakers PM5a driver, Rythmik F15 Sub

2 channel - Carverfest Mono Blocks, Grant Fidelity DAC, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Lowther Allerions DX-65 drivers
Previous

Return to !! New Products !!