FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 am

TFM45 or TFM35 for fronts

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: TFM45 or TFM35 for fronts

as i have owned two 55's since new, and a few 35's since new, i would offer this thought. i have always used my 55's on highs/al3's and another 55 on subs in my 2 channel rig in the past. well, when i hooked up the 5.1, i used 55's on the front/rear al3's, then 35's on center and subs. even when i bi-amps the al3's with two 55's, one for left, one for right, i used 2-35's on on four 12" woofers and found that the bass never exceeded the ribbons or vice versa. i found the 55's just simply sounded superior on highs compared to the 35's. the subs with 35's just did not have as much of a noticeable difference in the way they sounded compared to the way the way they sounded with the highs. so i would swap them, only if your main goal is not bass in your face, but a sweeter sound. also keep in mind that tom at vintage hifi in pittsburg can do a refurb and/or all updates to the 45 for a real good price. also as it is just a model year prior to the 55 and it would be great on subs if was up to date and working properly, you could have the best of both worlds. i find the 35's do great on average speakers and all subs, but nothing like the 55's on highs or the even better/cleaner sounding sunfire 300x2 amps. cheers
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TFM Carmine

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:03 pm

elgrau wrote:Yep; and if the 45 is not adjusted properly (or totally re-furbed) it can sound very "average" (to totally like ass...).....Day/night difference with this amp especially...it HAS to have the damping adjust spot on before it will reveal it's truly great sound....

That could be the case I am not dealing with 2 new models so I really can't say the 35 is equal, my 35 may be fresher than the 45, that is why I think they are about even now. The 45 may need to be freshened.
CT-29v,TFM-55, PM 1200
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 pm

TFM Carmine wrote:
elgrau wrote:Yep; and if the 45 is not adjusted properly (or totally re-furbed) it can sound very "average" (to totally like ass...).....Day/night difference with this amp especially...it HAS to have the damping adjust spot on before it will reveal it's truly great sound....

That could be the case I am not dealing with 2 new models so I really can't say the 35 is equal, my 35 may be fresher than the 45, that is why I think they are about even now. The 45 may need to be freshened.

the 35 is not a true mag amp like the 45. although there are three rails on both the amount of current that the 45 can throw out is greater than the 35. so, if/when you do get it serviced, i would love to hear your impressions on the differences. the 42/45/55 true mag amps made in america, while the 35's were imported to meet a price point as overseas production was good enough according to bob for that amp model. i would recommend sending to vintage hifi in pittsburg as tom does a great job for not a whole lot of money. others if you are on the west coast are bob's repair service in washington state, and rolland in oregon at hi-tech. all three have done work for me and are the best in the profession of audio repair.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)