FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am

Carver Lightstar Reference - 4 sale

<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: Carver Lightstar Reference - 4 sale

If we can talk Kingman into bringing his Lightstar amp to CF12 we will do an A/B test against my 600x2.....should be fun!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Kingman could bring a Lightstar and a Sunfire! He is the man!
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:14 pm

and a 75
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 am

Yeah, Frankie, every time I ask Bob what sounds best he points to the Black Beauty 305 and says, "This amplifier represents my latest thinking; it's also my best work." Personally, I think I'd take a Black Beauty over a Lightstar, with all due respect.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:49 am

Bob loves all his creations. He told me my Phase Linear 400 sounded just as good as anything he's came up with since. Would you expect him to say anything else? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 am

kingman wrote:Bob loves all his creations. He told me my Phase Linear 400 sounded just as good as anything he's came up with since. Would you expect him to say anything else? :-s

Good point
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am

Snoop65 wrote:
kingman wrote:Bob loves all his creations. He told me my Phase Linear 400 sounded just as good as anything he's came up with since. Would you expect him to say anything else? :-s

Good point

Yeah, I know. Bob also says that they are 'all his children and he loves them all, though for different reasons.'
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:26 am

stereo_buff wrote:
Snoop65 wrote:

Good point

Yeah, I know. Bob also says that they are 'all his children and he loves them all, though for different reasons.'

That's a good point too! :D
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Wait until you guys hear the CF amp from last year with the 12AX7's Jerry's running with. Smoked his VTL tube amps to bits on a pair of Apogees of all things. :wink:

With the Sunfire against the Lightstar, it depends on what you are looking for. The Sunfire seems to have endless power capabilities and a less refined sound signature [when compared to the Lightstar] while the Lightstar has a very refined sound signature but can tend to run out of steam when driven hard.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:39 pm

Beauty is in the ear of the beholder! :D
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:43 pm

Re:

treitz3 wrote:Wait until you guys hear the CF amp from last year with the 12AX7's Jerry's running with. Smoked his VTL tube amps to bits on a pair of Apogees of all things. :wink:

With the Sunfire against the Lightstar, it depends on what you are looking for. The Sunfire seems to have endless power capabilities and a less refined sound signature [when compared to the Lightstar] while the Lightstar has a very refined sound signature but can tend to run out of steam when driven hard.

I think we found that the problem was due more to available wall power than the amp.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey Tom...what's the chance of asking the cabins to install a 30 amp dedicated cuircuit in one of the cabins or maybe 2 so we could really find out the limits of the "Super" amps? :-s
<<

kingman

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:52 pm

kingman wrote:Hey Tom...what's the chance of asking the cabins to install a 30 amp dedicated cuircuit in one of the cabins or maybe 2 so we could really find out the limits of the "Super" amps? :-s

Better yet...why don't we gather up the wire and sufficient breakers and do it ourselves? We could run a so called drop cord of wire with a plug in attached directly from the breaker box.... that way it's temporary... :shock:
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:58 pm

Hey, Wayne. To answer your 1st question? Not a chance in hell. 2nd question? You read my mind. :)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:03 pm

kingman wrote:
kingman wrote:Hey Tom...what's the chance of asking the cabins to install a 30 amp dedicated cuircuit in one of the cabins or maybe 2 so we could really find out the limits of the "Super" amps? :-s

Better yet...why don't we gather up the wire and sufficient breakers and do it ourselves? We could run a so called drop cord of wire with a plug in attached directly from the breaker box.... that way it's temporary... :shock:

I have about 100' of spare 10 gauge 4-wire. That shit is EXPENSIVE! I think I can scrounge a 30-amp breaker, too.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
PreviousNext

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade for Newbies