FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:28 am

SS Amps - leave em on 24/7 or turn em off when not in use?

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

SS Amps - leave em on 24/7 or turn em off when not in use?

So right now I am running a Carver 705x amp. I leave it on 24/7. I have the ability to use the 12v triggers on my H15 and Integra 5.9 to turn it off when all my equipment is turned off, but I currently dont. Should I be? Am I cutting down on the amount of time before the amp needs a re-cap or am I good to keep doing what I am doing. Also are there some SS amp series you can leave on all the time and others you shouldn't?

I am also aware some of you suggest plugging the amp directly into the wall. I tried that and using my APC H15 and noticed no difference at my regular listening levels.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:00 pm

Re: SS Amps - leave em on 24/7 or turn em off when not in us

I turn everything off when not in use.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

PDR

TFM-45

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:45 pm

I turn everything off and unplug.
Surges and lightning scare the heck out of me.....I live rural so its not the best.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed May 30, 2012 12:52 pm

PDR wrote:I turn everything off and unplug.
Surges and lightning scare the heck out of me.....I live rural so its not the best.

Yup, thats why everything is plugged into the APC H15, it should help for surges. Lightning, well thats just a mess regardless....

I might look into the 12v trigger then for my amp
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed May 30, 2012 1:51 pm

I just read where the Bobfather said you can leave it plugged in all the time or unplug. It doesnt matter either way. He said he grew up with his mother telling him to turn off a light if not using it so he himself would unplug for that reason only.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0002
Bone Stock Lightstar
Vintage Hi-Fi modified Lightstar
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
More Douglas cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed May 30, 2012 2:00 pm

My main concern is that eventually the caps in these amps need to be replaced due to age. I wanted to make sure that me leaving the amp on 24/7 wasnt hastening the arrival of that date lol....
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed May 30, 2012 3:44 pm

I've always heard that the heating and cooling of turning equipment on and off will cause failure faster then just leaving stuff on. That being said, I always turn everything off when not in use, let the auto-on/off feature on the Sunfire amp do its thing. If I leave the house for more then a full day I unplug everything. The A-705x is at most 12-15 years old? should be good another 10 years or more I would suspect before needing to be re-capped.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed May 30, 2012 4:09 pm

thuffman03 wrote:I turn everything off when not in use.

Yeah!!! What HE said!!! Why take a chance you don't have to?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

WhackJob

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed May 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Mine are never shut off (except for power outages!)
Several have been powered up 24/7 for over 20 years*...

*Your milage may vary!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed May 30, 2012 8:40 pm

It depends on the piece of gear. I've had an amplifier [Odyssey Stratos] that would sound like ass for three days if it ever was powered down and allowed a chance to cool off significantly. The current amplifier I have sounds great as soon as you hit the power button, so I don't have to keep it on 24/7. As for shortening the life of the caps? I would imagine much of that has to do with the design/topology of any particular amplifier but I haven't seen or read any conclusive theories as to which one is worse [turning it on and off constantly -vs- just keeping it on 24/7].

When you get into tube amplifiers, or if you do, turn them off when you are done listening. Always unplug the entire system when a lightning storm is threatening and make sure the PC's are as far away from the actual outlet as possible. Lightening is so frequent down here in Charlotte that I always unplug the rig when I am away from the house. I have already lost a couple of amplifiers due to lightening, so I speak from experience on that one.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"

Return to Carver Home (Audio)