FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Oooohhh Ahhhh Baby Black Beauties

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Oh, I'm sure Mike is still smiling for getting pre-production serial #1. He probably "pleasured" himself to that fact a couple of times already.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Oooohhh Ahhhh Baby Black Beauties

you rang..... :D :D :D :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

:D
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:41 am

I will not part with the 2 that I assembled during the fest last year .The 2 that I have assembled since then ? If I get Bob to sign them this year then no fucking way as well! Plus mine are a little different than all the rest they have an illuminated on and off swith on the front plus a lighted indicator on the front when they are in monoblock mode. Also have furniture glides for feet with felt glued to the bottom. \:D/
"Carver Audio, why settle for less, just ask my neighbors"
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
CERTIFIED AMPLE PLIERS EXPERT
Some of the best fuckings we get during our lifetime will come from a relative!
I don't kiss ass and I dont take peoples shit, so dont expect it from me!
<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 am

Tom your post said amps as in more than one is that the case? If it is than you have to have at least two of the same transformers. Either two with 5 taps or two with 3 taps. At the fest there were amps that were assembled using both kinds of transformers. I am sure Mike has at least one amp that has the 5 tap trannys and all four of mine have the 3 tap trannys as I pulled my own parts. I may be old and the eyes may be going but the mind is as sharp as a tack. :lol:
C1,C2,CT3,CT6,CT7/3,CT23,CT26,C4000,The Receiver,M500,M500T/6,M1.5T,TFM24/2,TFM/25/2,TFM35,TFM35X,TFM/42,DTL200,TDR1700,DPL20,TX11,5.2Center,5.1Sub/3,Original Amazings,Platinum Amazings/2,AL3'S,Polk SDA SRS, Polk SDA 1C's, Polk RTA11's, Polk Monitor 10's,Monitor 7's, Sunfire 300x2 /5, Sunfire pre, Sunfire MK2 Sub, 4 Carverfest monoblocks, Mapletree Audio Designs Tube Preamp,Phase Linear Andromeda III speakers, Phase Linear 4000 Preamp, Dahlquist DQ-10's
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:39 am

What I thought was intriguing was the price point. I think it opens up the opportunity for a lot of people to be able to afford a nice quality tube amp, having it come from Bob Carver is icing on the cake.

I think it's a great entry level price point and it will get a lot of people out of the "I bought a tube amp and don't see what all the hoopla is about" mode. Instead of buying a piece of junk off ebay, from China, folks can by a top of the line, quality, made in the USA tube amp. Based on our experience with the Carverfest amps, I think it will be a great sounding amp and the new transformers should allow more tube rolling options. I also really like the fact that you can switch it from Stereo to mono mode. That wold give me more options for ...could it be called speaker rolling :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

If I can save the scratch, I think I'll be trading in.
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:29 am

you mean this switch...

Mbskeam

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

<<

hewlew1

"You Fuckin' Fucks"

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 am

I know you have installed the monoblock switch as well Mike . Is there any difference sonically that you are aware of between the output tranny with the 5 taps versus the tranny with the 3 taps. The amp you built at the fest had the 5 tap tranny if I recall.
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm

you mean this switch...

ehhhh....yup
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:34 pm

both my amps have the 5 lug. the other 4 amps I am building have the 3 lug, but are not done, still getting settled in from moving. so I have not real A/B to hear yet.
Mbskeam

― Aristophanes

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 pm

But the new "Bob" amps have larger output & power transformers....the voltage on the power side was reduced to prevent red-plating the tubez.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:41 pm

My two amps have different transformers. One has the 5 pin and the other one has the 3 pin. My intention was to use them in a mono configuration, so this is not good. Different voltages at the output(s). The ones selected for my amps were on the table and verified as being matched but I'm guessing with all of the activity during the build, something got inadvertently swapped.

When the xnsfrmrs do come in, I'll be good to go. Everything is already neatly organized, laid out and ready to go. I've heard this amplifier in a couple of different configurations and on a couple of different speaker setups. I have chosen my favorite and I can't wait to hear them all built up and in running order. I already have some modified bookshelves, IC's, SC's, a Dodd ELP pre-amplifier and some other goodies planned for the secondary system. It'll be nice when it's all up and running.

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:52 pm

When do you expect to get the transformers Tom?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I am sure he will have them by second Tuesday next week....... :lol:
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Chauss wrote:I am sure he will have them by second Tuesday next week....... :lol:

:lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes