FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:07 pm

Carver a500x - One bad channel

<<

ZeroG

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:43 am

Carver a500x - One bad channel

Hello, been a long time since I had any Carver gear, and I'm happy to find this forum again.

Recently I bought an a500x, but it has one bad channel. The relay does not kick in, but I'm not sure what the issue is. The previous owner dropped it (!!!) and broke the left channel level control handle and the input jack. I've repaired both, but the channel is still dead, though I get about 10mw dc offset from the speaker output.

I don't hear the relay on that channel click - just the other channel does. I've heard that the relays in general tend to go out, but I'm not sure that's the problem.

Can anyone advise me where to start? I've been combing the net looking for a service manual, and the closest I have found is a schematic for an a400x.

The channel that does work sounds amazing, and I'll admit that 250 wpc is intoxicating. I don't think it will take too long before I become a Carver addict.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Carver a500x - One bad channel

Is the bridged button pushed in? :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Welcome!!! Are there level controls and are they matched?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

ZeroG

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:07 am

The bridge button has not been pushed in and the level controls are both at max.
I wish it was that simple. The relay does not kick in which makes me wonder if that channel is in protect mode or if the relay is bad or if it's something else.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 am

Rita's Vintage Audio, home of Bob Carver, does excellent repair work. The reason I mentioned the button was because I received that exact amp damaged in shipping one time and the rear speaker terminals, volume pot and bridged button were broken from impact, which all had to be repaired. Anyway, good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 am

Rita's, Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh, & Hi-Tech Audio are all excellent repair shops. Contact info for all there are licated here on the site in a thread entitled Carver Repair. Try a search.

I'd provide the link, but I'm on my Droid & it's a PITA to do.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

ZeroG

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks, I appreciate any help with this. I'm in California, so a local shop would save the shipping costs. I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

When I press the bridge button both channels go out. No schematics on line, but there is one for its bigger brother, so that might work.

Can anyone help with the relay and possible protect mode? Each channel has it's own relay, and I would suspect a short or failed component that would prevent the relay from closing, or the relay is possibly bad.

Would anyone perchance have a service manual?

Thanks!
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 pm

ZeroG wrote:The bridge button has not been pushed in and the level controls are both at max.
I wish it was that simple. The relay does not kick in which makes me wonder if that channel is in protect mode or if the relay is bad or if it's something else.

ZeroG: Where are you located? Perhaps someone from the forum that is close by may be of assistance.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum