FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 am

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

<<

lawdog10231

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Newbie to the board here. I am a retired lawyer and an obsessive compulsive high end audio tweak. And I love classical music, jazz (and some rock from the 60s and 70s to celebrate my long lost youth.)

I used to have Infinity Betas and mega expensive amplifiers to drive them but they didn't survive a divorce about 10 years ago. I found an original pair of Carver Amazing Loudspeakers--the ones with honeycombed woofers and two 30" ribbons per for $500 on Craig's List. I still had two original Sunfire amps so I vertically bi-amped the speakers after buying a second pair of crossovers on Ebay.

I swapped out all the electrolytics and bypass caps on the boards with real expensive polypropylenes from Spain some of which are so huge and heavy that they took a couple of weeks to fully charge and sound right. I also rewired the speakers with seven strands of audiophile cable 4 strands from Kimber 8TC anf three from an obscure audiophile interconnect manufacturer who uses three wires of pure gold, silver and copper.

For the woofers to the crossover I wound each wire back into the mass of wire counterclockwise and made seven winds-no matter how long the actual wire run was. For the ribbons, I twisted two sets of two Kimber copper strands and wove them together with the three gold,silver and copper strands which were already woven together.

I never could have accomplished this if I hadn't stumbled onto one of Carver's right hand men from the 80s who now owns a small manufacturing company that makes circuit boards in Arlington, Wa., who was willing to help since he helped design the Amazings way back when and he had a solder pot and was curious. He was a terrific person!

The rest of the system: Monster AVS 2000 and 5100 mk II which were aligned with each other at the factory, the two Sunfire Amps--one amp dedicated to each speaker with one channel of each dedicated to the ribbons using the high current taps and the other channel of each dedicated to the woofers through the voltage taps. I use the Audio Research LS-2 mk II pre amp, Marantz SA 8001 SACD/CD upsampling cd player, Denon DVD 3910 which is dedicated to DVD-Audio dvds, Revox B-77 two track 15 ips/ 7.5ips open reel, Revox A-77 mk IV 4 track 7.5 ips/3 3/4 ips open reel, Alesis Master Link 24/96 digital recorder and a Sony TC-K717ES cassette deck.

I also use Audioquest interconnects with the 36 volt batteries connected to to skins and top of the line Zu speaker cable.

Needless to say, the sound is the best I ever heard-- surpassing even what I thought might be possible in the heavenly realm. :shock:

It's like having the music of the spheres in my living room. It did take over 8 weeks for the speaker wire to break in. For the first week or two it sounded like an am radio that was very weak as well. Now, well, all I can say is if you haven't vertically bi-amped your Carver speakers you don't know what you are missing.

I have a slight problem with one of the ribbons (top right). It's intermittent. But occasionally there is a muffled spitting sound at a particular high frequency. This only occurs when the system has been playing music for at least an hour and it doesn't always happen on the same recording. It first surfaced about a week after a friend cranked the system up while I was fetching a couple of brewskies in the kitchen. #-o

Even then, since I'd run back into the listening room and turned the system down after about 5 seconds of very loud jazz (of all things) I hoped and prayed there was no damage (and there appeared to be no problem until about a week later.) [-o<

I took a hospital grade q-tip and very gently flattened the area of the ribbon with a little bit of Tweak connecter cleaner and the problem seems to have gone away completely but I worry it will return. With the vertical array of Sunfires I figure I'm running 2400 watts per channel into a two ohm load. :-"

Anybody have experience like that? Am I going to have to replace that ribbon and if so, will I just need to replace the one, or the complete set in one speaker? Anybody know where I can find used or new replacement ribbons. Also, at some point I'll likely have to recone the woofers although they still work fine at the moment? Anybody know a source for that? :(

I can't believe my good fortune in finding this board. I'm located in Lake Stevens about 15 miles from Carver's Sunfire factory in the state of Washington. If there are any posters in the Puget Sound area who would like to get together once in a while and compare notes and listen together--I'm open for such a gathering or a group.

Love these keen smilies! A picture's worth a thousand words--and I better end this if I want anyone to actually read it! Thanks for putting a resource like this on the internet for Carver-lovers like me! =D>
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:32 pm

Welcome lawdog10231.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
<<

lawdog10231

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 am

Can anybody give me a hint as to what happens when I hit that magic 50th post? :oops:

I'm trying to get there as soon as I possibly can without making an idiot out of myself by posting garbage... #-o

Will the heavens open for me and will it rain down Carver replacement 30" ribbons like manna in the desert? [-o<

Or will I just get an expanded index of these keen smileys that make it possible to communicate deeper abstract thoughts without having to resort to typing mere words? :-"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:46 am

You gain access to other areas of the forum reserved for non "hit-and-run" posters. The Marketplace, for one.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Yo dog, is your name Chris by chance?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

FesteLV

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:05 pm

Beware of the storm god who descends on a dark cloud an thunders in a loud voice "it's about time you hit 50!" :lol:
Feste
Las Vegas

C-4000t, TX-11a, Silver 9t(2), M-1.0t(2), SD/A 490t, Apogee Calipers
<<

oldie

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 am

I'M JUST COMING BACK TO THE STATES (CONNECTICUT) AFTER SEVERAL YEARS OF LIVING ABROAD. GOT MY NEW (OLD) GEAR ON THE NET AND HAVE NOT YET HEARD IT OR EVEN SEEN IT:

M1.07 AMP
CT-17 PREAMP/TUNER
DENON DN-680 CD PLAYER
AER PISCES MKIII SPEAKERS

ALL SUGGERSTIONS, COMMENTS, GRATEFULLY RECEIVED.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 am

Welcome oldie.

A little advice: using all cap is considered yelling. Just passing on info.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6020

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6336

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6060

viewforum.php?f=15

Just a little related reading for you. Give me a call we can talk if you want. 239 772 9341
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 am

ALL NEWBIES MUST WATCH THIS BEFORE POSTING~ :lol:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:04 am

squalor wrote:My first post here. I'll do my best to play by the rules.

when the fuck did we get rules.... #-o
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:28 am

1. Welcome!
2. The BG ribbons aren't the same as the Carver ribbons.
3. How do you know you're putting 40 watts into the speakers?
4. You should start your own thread for this; the title won't lead folks to assist you.
5. Can you provide pics of the wiring & passive crossovers?
6. Have you checked the individual woofer impedances?
7. Something is DEFINITELY wrong.
Last edited by TNRabbit on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 am

All I can say is something is obviously wrong somewhere. I recently had a pair of Silvers, bought them from the original owner completely stock and unmolested. They were able to suck up everything my Sunfire 300x2 could through at them and begged for more! VERY power hungry speakers but the sound was nothing short of amazing, hence the name Amazing Loudspeaker. I personally wouldn't run bridged amps to these speakers, try bi-amping in stereo.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

stereonutz

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:08 am

Hello everyone. I am truly a newbie to carver products. I am disabled and started playing with stereo equipment as a hobby. Then, when it became quite clear that uncle Sam wasn't going to help me out. I found out that I can move some of the items that I find at sales, auctions and thrift stores, And make me money that I could use to buy more stuff, keep gas in my 14 mpg gas hog of a truck, and keep me from asking my wife(who is 22 years younger than me and never thought she would be thrust into the bread winner roll in our family) for. Anyway, I digress(sorry, pain meds) I came across a Carver 6250 a couple years ago and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep it. something came up and we needed the money. So i sold it. I have regretted selling it ever since, until last week, I was perusing ebay. I came upon a Carver 6250 that had some minor scrapes and was missing the Bass, Mid, and treble knobs. The seller stated that it was untested and was being sold as is. Well I won it for $41 and a surprisingly small shipping charge. I figured that since it had the scars on the faceplate. I probably wouldn't be able to sell if I was backed into that financial corner that I have been into so many times. I received it today and hooked it to a pair of jbl MV900J three-way speakers [-o< . Voila, it played, and not only played. It sounded awesome. \:D/ Can anyone help me with a few things? First, where can I get manuals for my new favorite toy? Second, where can I find a remote? Finally, is there anyone out there who can help me find the knobs that I am missing? I truly believe this is a unit that I will finally be able to hang on to, and further believe that this is only the beginning of a long relationship with Carver products. Because if this baby is any indication of what I can expect from the Carver line of products. I can't wait to get my hands(and ears) on some separates, and start putting together some awesome systems. I look forward to making some friends here. Thanks in advance for any assistance I may get along the way. God bless you.
PreviousNext

Return to "The Welcome Mat"