FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:00 am

Oooohhh Ahhhh Baby Black Beauties

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Oooohhh Ahhhh Baby Black Beauties

Hey, "the Bobs" might be god's in our eyes, but they gotta eat too!
...just wondering if it is the "Bob's" and not "A" Bob??? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:28 pm

I thought two Bobs were involved with these "baby" tube amps....Bob F and Bob C?
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 pm

Snoop65 wrote<<Well I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought was high. How much did you guys spend on the CF amps?>>

I've got $390 total in both CF amps and a 1958 Hammond M3 series organ amp like the ones Jerry was running 2 years ago . I might run the CFs bridged to the Dahlquist DQ-8s and put the Hammond to work on the Carver Research DarkStar(yes, I have the only known surviving driver) sub. Now all I need is a cheapass tube pre.....hmmm

or maybe run the PCs audio card(Asus Zonar STX) through a tube buffer thru the CFs and a sub x-over???

(other than the PC and the DarkStar) this would/could be a sub $500 rig

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 am

Martin1970 wrote:Again I say:
I wish they'd just give us the pricing for the new transformers.

Would the "upgraded" transformers be a 'bolt in' mod, meaning that is the only change to the amp?
Changing 1 or all 3 transformers?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Martin1970

TFM-25

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:42 am

Magnaryder wrote:Would the "upgraded" transformers be a 'bolt in' mod, meaning that is the only change to the amp?

ray

The output transformers are physically larger, so you'll have to get bigger covers and probably have to drill new holes. I'm not sure about the new power transformer. You might not need that since your tubes can handle the voltage.
Carver: ALS plat upgrades, TX-11a, C-9, C-1
Sunfire: Cinema Grand Sig 400 Seven x2
Rane: RPM88 26Z x3
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:02 pm

:D
Magnaryder wrote:
Martin1970 wrote:Again I say:
I wish they'd just give us the pricing for the new transformers.

Would the "upgraded" transformers be a 'bolt in' mod, meaning that is the only change to the amp?

ray

They are bolt in. But as Martin said, they won't fit under the original covers.

The new power xformer lowers the output voltage so you can use lower voltage tubes.

The new output transformers offer a little more oomph in the form of lower end extension & slightly more robust output

Nobody's makimg anyone do this; it's simply an offer for anyone who might be interested.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Snoop65 wrote:So turn in your $200.00+blood,sweat, and time and the kick up another$ 999.00? If I had a CF amp I would pass on that but that's just my view.

You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead fingers.

You can bet there are some miserable souls watching this on the web wishing they hadn't opened their mouths way back when(you know who you are) and just joined the fun and basked in the glory of all things Bob. I can hear them kicking themselves in the ass as we speak.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:38 pm

Magnaryder wrote:You'll have to pry mine from my cold dead fingers.

You can bet there are some miserable souls watching this on the web wishing they hadn't opened their mouths way back when(you know who you are) and just joined the fun and basked in the glory of all things Bob. I can hear them kicking themselves in the ass as we speak.

ray

I am right there with ya Ray! =D> =D> =D>
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 pm

kingman wrote:The monoblocks will not leave......and I don't think the other 2 stereo amps will either. They will be worth more in the long run than any production amps. 8)

That's an interesting point. Bob Carver worked on and verified function of each of the amps that were built at the 'Fest last year. Unlike any of the other 'Baby' amps that single fact can be documented. I have Bob on tape working on my amp. Stills too!!. I can't find the words that will NOT make this sound strange but 'I think' that fact alone will affect collectability.

kingman wrote:Hey, "the Bobs" might be god's in our eyes, but they gotta eat too!
...just wondering if it is the "Bob's" and not "A" Bob???

Thinking about this a little more, just how good was the deal? It looks to me like Bob may have a made us a SUPER bah-gan. I can't remember any other manufacturer saying to me" Hey Ray, come to beautiful Bryson City North Carolina and for roughly $220 you can bulid a cool [insert your favorite component here] that's gonna be worth 10x what you paid for it when it's complete." That alone says everything I need to [I already knew] know about Bob Carver's character. I don't remember if anyone has mentioned it but IIRC Bob tested each of the amps built at the 'Fest last year. He made certain all of them worked properly sitting at a make-shift workbench/lab for hours/days on end. More than once I wanted to toss my 'Baby' down the mountain, I was SO frustrated with the build(no skills/wrong tools/my fault)but I toughed it out and got it done...sorta. Apparently I can't solder very good and as a result Bob had to re-flow most if not all of my solder connections. He kept long hours and never complained. I don't care who you are that was impressive. After all this time and through it all he remains passionate about hi-fi and getting it done RIGHT!!!!

ray
Magnaryder

<<

kingman

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Ray, Alex built mine and they all worked. As with all things, the original is more valuable. Mine will not be leaving .....period.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I for one wish I had known about the build beforehand. Tube amps are something I want to get into at some point and that amp would have been a great starting point.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:52 pm

kingman wrote:Ray, Alex built mine and they all worked. As with all things, the original is more valuable. Mine will not be leaving .....period.

Alex did a beautiful job on the amps he built...whereas mine looked like a rats nest.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Magnaryder wrote:
kingman wrote:Ray, Alex built mine and they all worked. As with all things, the original is more valuable. Mine will not be leaving .....period.

Alex did a beautiful job on the amps he built...whereas mine looked like a rats nest.

ray

Hey it works, it sounds good, and you're happy. That's all that matters! :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:05 pm

Magnaryder wrote:

ray

Nobody will see the inside of the amps unless you show it to them Ray! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Chauss wrote:
Magnaryder wrote:

ray

Nobody will see the inside of the amps unless you show it to them Ray! :D

Exactly! :D
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes