FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Do the internals of this M1.0t look right?

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:40 am

Do the internals of this M1.0t look right?

I found a M1.0t on the web that I currently am bidding on and call dibs on (my username is danbpedersen). I am curious if the internals look right.

The M1.0t I have waiting for me in Indy doesn't look the same based on the internal pictures I got of that unit.

Here is the unit I purchased:

Here is the unit on ebay:

I also am not sure if this is a good sign or not as it looks like the protection LED's are on, but the unit isnt connected to anything so I think its supposed to do that maybe???

Am I crazy or is this something I should be worried about?
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 am

Re: Do the internals of this M1.0t look right?

The power supplies look different to me.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 am

That's what I was thinking. Seller states like new in working condition
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:14 pm

The bottom lights are suppose to be on like that, the protection lights are actually at the top of the meter and are green. That's a nice looking unit, if it works good I wouldn't worry what the insides look like so much besides possibly bulging, leaking caps or fried boards etc, Bob changed so much shit around over the years that I found it not too uncommon to find variances between "like" amplifiers. Good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

jjptkd wrote:The bottom lights are suppose to be on like that, the protection lights are actually at the top of the meter and are green. That's a nice looking unit, if it works good I wouldn't worry what the insides look like so much besides possibly bulging, leaking caps or fried boards etc, Bob changed so much shit around over the years that I found it not too uncommon to find variances between "like" amplifiers. Good luck!

Ok cool. I was just making sure :). I am hopeful it will be mine but if not I still have a awesome unit waiting for me at home when I get back from vacation. Looking forward to hearing my LSi 15s on it.

It looks like regardless either unit will eventually need a recap since they have the blue collored caps which I was told are the originals.
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:26 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I have two 490t cd players and they look quite different from each other on the inside.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Looks to me like that top one has a different transformer. But the real change looks like a relay on a bracket over on the right side of the picture towards the top. Looks like a factory bracket though, not a later rig. Either the other amp has a relay I can't spot, or they added on in the model run the relay to perhaps step start the power supply on power up or delay audio out for thump purposes? I know 'nutin about the model in specific...maybe somebody else would know about some model change differences.

Mark
<<

Robert R

TFM-35

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:29 am

Mark - I think the item you are seeing is the AM noise suppressor that was added to the later M-1.0t production. The SN on the pictured unit is very late production.
The other unit is older - has the earlier transformer, but no date written on it. Need SN to estimate age, but I'd guess 1986.
Rob
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:37 am

Doesnt matter regardless :( . Traveling home yesterday the semi in front of us blew a tire taking out my grill and radiator 30 miles from home (thankful for that at least). Had to get the car towed and fixed so any cash I had to purchase this unit is now going to fix my car...

Oh well....

Now time to go to my infusion and then hopefully pick up the M1.0t waiting for me at work on the way home...
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:55 am

Robert R wrote:Mark - I think the item you are seeing is the AM noise suppressor that was added to the later M-1.0t production. The SN on the pictured unit is very late production.
The other unit is older - has the earlier transformer, but no date written on it. Need SN to estimate age, but I'd guess 1986.
Rob

Hi Rob,
Sure looks like you're right. I zoomed in as much as I could and the symbol on top looks like maybe some kind of inductor. Looks like I figured right, somebody would know what feature changed and tip off what the story was.

Wow Dan, glad the blowout didn't get any higher! I've had a passing semi blow a tire and get hit by some scraps but never have seen it do that much damage. But the size of pieces you'll see along the road sometimes suggests being at just the wrong place at the wrong time could be bad. And sounds like you were lucky enough to be at that spot. Not what you expect to have happen all of a sudden. But I guess this hot weather and roads has probably caused a lot of loaded tires to blow. Hope you can get the car fixed up shortly!

Mark
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:20 am

radioeng2 wrote:
Robert R wrote:Mark - I think the item you are seeing is the AM noise suppressor that was added to the later M-1.0t production. The SN on the pictured unit is very late production.
Rob

Hi Rob,
Sure looks like you're right. I zoomed in as much as I could and the symbol on top looks like maybe some kind of inductor. Looks like I figured right, somebody would know what feature changed and tip off what the story was.

Wow Dan, glad the blowout didn't get any higher! I've had a passing semi blow a tire and get hit by some scraps but never have seen it do that much damage. But the size of pieces you'll see along the road sometimes suggests being at just the wrong place at the wrong time could be bad. And sounds like you were lucky enough to be at that spot. Not what you expect to have happen all of a sudden. But I guess this hot weather and roads has probably caused a lot of loaded tires to blow. Hope you can get the car fixed up shortly!

Mark

Yeah it hit the hood as well but didn't do anything I could see there. I wish it had been just a piece but it was literally the whole tire tread that smacked the car. It was for sure wrong place at the wrong time. Add to it the heat and it just plain stunk.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Looks good to me. Possibly a few later revisions, since the TFM-25 came out around the date on the transformer.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...

Return to Carver Home (Audio)