FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 am

Newbi and with question grand threater processor 3

<<

rick

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 am

Newbi and with question grand threater processor 3

Hello all looking at buying my first cavrer/sunfire product.
I'm looking to buy a good head unit(receiver) I was looking at buying the grand theater processor 3 for my home use. I see there's a grand receiver 3 not know which one I should go with I figure I would ask for a little help from you all. I'm a music junkie that like's all kind of music. Watching movies with surround sound ect.... any help would be great
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Re: Newbi and with question grand threater processor 3

Welcome to the forum!

The Sunfire TGP III is a good preamp. I have the original TGP and it does stereo and HT very well.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm

Welcome Rick!! =D> =D> The Theater Grand III processor has no built in amplifier, its a separate preamp where the Ultimate Receivers have a built in 200x7 amplifier. The receivers are excellent for home theater but not quite as good for music as separates. Price is typically double to run separates (or more) so its really a matter of how much you want to spend. I my self use the original Ultimate receiver in my theater room and have a TGP-III and Cinema grand 425x5 for my main stereo. If you can afford separates, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

There's a few different receiver models, the original uses the same processor as the TGP-III, the Ultimate Receiver II uses the TGP-IV processor and the TGR-3 (Theater Grand Receiver 3) uses the TGP-5 processor. The built in amplifiers don't really put out a full 200 by 7, all channels driven, closer to 75- 100 watts but in 2 channel they put out an easy 250-275 x2. Hope this helps and good luck!
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah!!! What he said ^^^ Welcome Rick!!!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:40 pm

[bubblecast][/bubblecast]

I have a TGP III and use it for HT & 2 channel. I'm using a Sunfire 5400 amp also.

I find the TGP III to be as fine a pre as I've ever heard. I bought a C-19 under pressure form the "tube people" and after Rita did her magic to it I A/B'd it with the TGP III. I found no benefit from the tube C-19.

Don't get me wrong, the C-19 was great but I sold it because it simply wasn't (to my ears) any better than the TGP.

The TGP is DEAD silent and very neutral no matter the source.

I guess I've made a short story (Buy a TGP III) long but thats my .02

Good Luck.

Return to "The Welcome Mat"