FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:08 pm

Cost to refurb a M1.0t

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Cost to refurb a M1.0t

Title says it all. Looking to find out how much I need to re-cap, add new binding posts, and fix the turn off thump. I am NOT interested in doing the MKII mod as I dont need any more power than the amp has standard since my LSi's are 4 ohms. I have NO SKILLS at all with regards to soldering so would need to send it to a shop.

Have had a TON of trouble getting ahold of the guys at Vintage Hi-Fi and dont know the info for either Rolland's or Bob's new shop....

Hoping one of you here might be able to get me the info I need on how much its gonna cost so I can start saving and if need be selling some gear....
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: Cost to refurb a M1.0t

Used Rolland in the past for a complete refurb on a TFM-45 I gave my son. Very happy with refurb. Others have used Bob's shop and were also very happy.

Rolland contact:

Carver Audio Repair Center
Hi-Tech Audio Ltd.
2125 SW 19th St.
Gresham Oregon 97080
503-618-7605 Fax 503-674-8593
http://www.carveraudiorepair.com

Bob's shop contact:

http://www.bobcarveraudiorepair.com/ind ... -employees
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks Don, I sent him an email.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:50 pm

EndersShadow wrote:Thanks Don, I sent him an email.

You'll get a quicker response if you call him sometime tomorrow~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:58 pm

By the end of the day its going to cost you $400+ after shipping and upgrades to go through that amp. :?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 pm

jjptkd wrote:By the end of the day its going to cost you $400+ after shipping and upgrades to go through that amp. :?

Grr.. Was hoping it wouldn't be that much. I had to take it out for now. There was getting to be too much static in the left channel for me to ignore.

Will troubleshoot later if I can.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:34 pm

If Ed sent you a functional unit, my guess is there is an interconnect or connection problem somewhere.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 pm

TNRabbit wrote:If Ed sent you a functional unit, my guess is there is an interconnect or connection problem somewhere.

I was thinking the same thing... how'd you end up connecting the speaker wires? :-k
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:27 pm

jjptkd wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:If Ed sent you a functional unit, my guess is there is an interconnect or connection problem somewhere.

I was thinking the same thing... how'd you end up connecting the speaker wires? :-k

Yeah, I am not assuming its a faulty unit at this point, more that I missed something somewhere. I used some Audioquest FLX 14/4 wire I had on hand. I used 2 14 gauge strands per connector which may be the problem. The strands were pretty thick and had trouble going in, but in the end it went in :D .

I used MIT EXp1 interconnects and giggled them around to make sure they were in tight (they were) and the sound didn't get better. It actually got worse the tighter I tightened down the FLX wire on that one channel. The other channel worked perfectly.

I removed my custom jumpers on that speaker and used the stock jumpers but that wasn't it either.

I am going to try just some regular 14 gauge wire I have later tomorrow, I just didn't want to keep messing with it today.

I am thinking thats probably what it is. Will let you know. Either way the unit will eventually need a re-cap, the turn off thump fixed and new binding posts so I can use more types of connectors.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:23 pm

If it got worse as you tightened it, I'm betting a broken solder joint on that RCA internally.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:39 pm

TNRabbit wrote:If it got worse as you tightened it, I'm betting a broken solder joint on that RCA internally.

We will see. I got some regular 14 gauge Monoprice speaker wire and have that connected right now to test. Watching TV in stereo and will report back if its still having issues later.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Crackling and static would MOST LIKELY be in the input side, not the output side, of the amp.

That's why I say RCA input. Can't imagine the issue you're having with speaker wire would cause that kind of thing....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:17 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Crackling and static would MOST LIKELY be in the input side, not the output side, of the amp.

That's why I say RCA input. Can't imagine the issue you're having with speaker wire would cause that kind of thing....

Well I just took apart and took pics of the input board for the RCA's. Take a look and see if you see anything obvious. This album contains a bunch of pics of the internals as well....

http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... er%20M10t/

I see some what look like some burn marks on the back of some of the joints on the input board... could that be the issue?
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Yep; it was 100% when sent...just the turn off thump that I disclosed (which can be minimized by turning clear down the source volume before turning BOTH off(via a power strip/conditioner or in my case I used the switched outlet on the MXR-150 to power the amp so when you turnoff the pre, the amp turns off at the same time). This works about 2/3 of the time; otherwise you get a "thump").

Easy to tell if it's the input signal or not ....just reverse the inputs and see if the static moves to the right channel...if so, then the static is in the input signal.

"I see some what look like some burn marks on the back of some of the joints on the input board... could that be the issue?"

That can't be it...."burn marks" could not have been caused by shipping and since there was no static prior to shipping, this can't be the problem. Most likely it's source related or speaker related.....switch them as well to see if the problem moves to that channel.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 am

elgrau wrote:Most likely it's source related or speaker related.....switch them as well to see if the problem moves to that channel.

Well I tried different sources, Uverse DVR, Xbox 360, and my blu-ray player. The static issue happened with the DVR and blu-ray player. I don't remember if I heard it with the 360 in the loop. I did not try switching out IC's. I also connected the amp direct to the wall as well as through my APC H15 with the same results. I have one other set of speakers I can try, but the current speakers don't produce the same issue when connected to my AV-705x so I am kinda at a stand still here with what to try.

I can try switching what channel its connected to on my Integra, but doubt that will fix it as well, since as stated the Integra doesnt produce these results with my other Carver amp.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Next

Return to Carver Home (Audio)