FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Cost to refurb a M1.0t

<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 am

Re: Cost to refurb a M1.0t

Try (carefully!) tapping the input (and output..) boards for that channel with the end of a pencil eraser while it's powered up and running...see if the static goes away or gets worse based on where you are tapping. From that info you MIGHT be able to find a bad solder joint that MIGHT have been dislodged during shipment....but doubtful as the box I sent it in (the same great shipping box setup that my mk-II came in from HDRK!) was very well "isolated". Also check to make sure no damage (or looseness, partially broken wire connections, etc.) to the speaker terminals from when you were trying to hook up the large speaker wire ends... Since it will need a re-cap one day (soon??) anyway, I'd say send it to Rolland or Bob's shop and have that done asap (or even send it to Rich for a mk-II upgrade for about the same $'s and since he has a long waiting list that will give you about ~9 months to save up the $'s for this upgrade!)...they'll make sure any other issues re this static will be addressed/fixed...Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Ed:

I tried connecting it to my Polk Monitor 60's upstairs and the static is now in both channels. I didnt even have it connected to a source yet before it started humming and popping.

The screw part of the RCA is a bit loose on all of them but even if I jiggle it it doesnt get any better or worse. Internally I cant see anything wrong (but I am by no means an expert)

Here is a link to what I am hearing in both channels: http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... 129a20.mp4
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:53 pm

Sounds like someone's using a wire-feed!! I would cease and desist immediately until something is figured out, that can't be any good at all!! :shock: :shock:
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 am

jjptkd wrote:Sounds like someone's using a wire-feed!!

?? Not sure what that means??
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

sisu1a

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:19 am

?? Not sure what that means??

...arc welding

-p
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 am

"So I acquired a M1.0t from elgrau and finally got the chance to get it hooked up . It sounds RIDICULOUS on my LSi 15's and I am very much enjoying it . I took a bunch of SUPER High Def pictures of the internals just to document em and prove it did indeed happen .

They are here:
http://s715.photobucket.com/albums/ww15 ... er%20M10t/"

ES: re the above link to photos taken of the amp, it looks like you removed the input board from this amp. Why and when did you do this (before or after the so called "hissing/popping" in one of the channels and then both channels?).
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am

elgrau wrote:ES: re the above link to photos taken of the amp, it looks like you removed the input board from this amp.

I unscrewed it from the back of the amp and moved it so I could look at it and take some pictures.

elgrau wrote:Why and when did you do this (before or after the so called "hissing/popping" in one of the channels and then both channels?).

Those pictures were taken after the noise started. The noise has progressively gotten worse since I hooked up the amp and always been present, I just assumed at first it was my source.

To summarize:

I got the amp and attempted to connect it to my MIT EXp1's (which have banana's) Saturday night. I realized that wasnt going to work so I set it aside and made some wires that I thought would work with it (which had 2 strands of 14 gauge wire per RCA). Attached those and got music but from the beginning there was a slight crackle and poping (not nearly as bad as in the video) coming from the amp. It at times went away, but always came back.

I took the top off the amp to take some pictures of everything. I then used some standard 14 guage wire to connect it, still popping and getting a bit worse. I unscrewed the input board to take pictures of it at that point.

Last night I moved the amp upstairs to use with my Monitor 60's and attempt to use my iPhone with a 3.5mm to RCA adaptor, similar to how I believe you had it connected. I just connected the speakers direct to the amp with the wires in the pictures and didnt connect anything to the input. Fired it up and the video is what I heard.

The noise got WORSE after I unscrewed and then reattached the input board (during which I never disconnected where it is attached to the actual amp boards at all).
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm

"The noise got WORSE after I unscrewed and then reattached the input board (during which I never disconnected where it is attached to the actual amp boards at all)."

I feel for you man, but you have to understand the nature of vintage audio gear. It seems you were pleased with the amp when you got it (based on your initial impressions and playing of the amp). I/we have no way of knowing what or how you hooked up sources/speakers to it after that or in general messed around with it (switch settings, accidental/incidental speaker wire shortings, removal of boards, etc., etc.). From your descriptions, it sounds like you have a loose connection somewhere in the input signal path. The amp was dead quiet the last time I used it prior to packing it into the shipping box. It seemed to have been working fine when you 1st used it (i.e., it did not arrive "D.O.A." nor with any obvious shipping damage). Beyond that, I have no clue what the cause/source of this static is. Clean all your signal path connections, etc. Test them on another amp. Test the speakers on another amp. Have a REAL tech look at it.... - Ed
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm

elgrau wrote:It seemed to have been working fine when you 1st used it (i.e., it did not arrive "D.O.A." nor with any obvious shipping damage)

Agreed

elgrau wrote:Clean all your signal path connections, etc. Test them on another amp. Test the speakers on another amp. Have a REAL tech look at it.... - Ed

Done all but the last one. I have switched sources, cables, speakers and the only consistent thing is the amp and it makes noises each time. Working on the last item, just hard to find someone local here I trust.

The guy I would normally take this too locally is laid up in the hospital for now. Seeing if I have the funds to have one of the normal channels fix it.
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:28 pm

love the 1.0t's.
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:05 pm

Yup nice amp. I have another 35 that stopped the other day as I was jamming in the bar.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 am

If I am reading things correctly, the amp was making some sort of noise from the start and it has gotten progressively worse.

Dan, you should not have opened the amp and poked around inside, you should have contacted Ed right away. At that point Ed should have either taken the amp back or offered to have the amp repaired at his cost. Since Dan opened the amp and poked around he needs to shoulder half of the repair cost, Ed needs to pick up the other half. It is always the sellers responsibility to ensure the buyer receives a working item regardless if the seller says it was working when they shipped it. This is the standard business practice at places like Audiogon, eBay and Club Polk.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 am

Yes; things along those lines have allready been put into place/offered/discussed...no problems.
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-55

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:31 am

Yup, we are currently all good. I am planning on getting it to Vintage Hi-Fi to look at and Ed and I will go from there.
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Audio)