FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

I was one of the fortunate souls that managed to get a 2nd CF amp from Bob at last year's 'Fest. It sat in my living room unassembled until I made a trip to Pittsburgh to see Tom and the fine folks at Vintage Hi-Fi. As usual Tom made me feel at home while I nosed around his shop admiring all of the way cool vintage gear. Sherry had taken Vosh to P'burgh to visit a college she was interested in attending and while they were there they dropped off one of my Carver car amps and a Carver receiver for repair. Several weeks later upon my return I dropped off my little tube amp to be built.

Anders did some damn fine work. Although I haven't listened.... yet I'm sure it will sound fine. My other amp sounds great!!!! Hell...I built it. Imagine what one of these will sound like when someone who knows what they're doing assembles it.

My little amp returned with my daughter from another trip to Pittsburgh. Vosh dropped off one of my Lightstar amplifiers to have the meters and lamps repaired by way of one of my cousins who lives in Butler Pa, but works in Pittsburgh. The meters didn't work when the amplifier arrived here in Ohio from the North Wet and one of the meter lamps quit working after being transported to CF'10. Tom is going to give them a try.

Good luck my friend!!!

When I opened my little amp lo and behold there were 2 pre tubes in the tube sockets. How FREEKIN' KEWL was that. I'd asked Tom what he recommended in the way of tubes when we talked on the phone a couple of weeks ago as I had managed to pick up a second set of output tubes in Bryson City last year but had no idea what to use for pre tubes.

Tell ya what!!! That's a first class operation Tom runs in Pittsburgh!!! I'd trust him with any of my gear....afterall he does have one of my prized Lightstar amplifiers. Hey, y'all need something repaired look no further than Tom.

ray
Last edited by Magnaryder on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Vintage Hi Fi and my little CF amp

Tomorrow(saturday) I plan to give my CF amps a bit of listening time. I have a set of Dahlquist DQ-8s I got from Jerry last year and some well regarded ICs from James that I can put to use. I'll run my Lightstar Direct to the CFs and give it a listen. I know the Lightstar direct isn't tubed but it's the best I can manage right now.

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Ray you know you are just saying that because you like Tom fondaling your tubes!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Eddie wrote:Ray you know you are just saying that because you like Tom fondaling your tubes!

fondle this Eddie!!!

bwaahahahaha

ray
Magnaryder

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:22 am

Magnaryder wrote:Tomorrow(saturday) I plan to give my CF amps a bit of listening time. I have a set of Dahlquist DQ-8s I got from Jerry last year and some well regarded ICs from James that I can put to use. I'll run my Lightstar Direct to the CFs and give it a listen. I know the Lightstar direct isn't tubed but it's the best I can manage right now.

ray

That's the way I have my monoblocks run Ray, through the Lightstar pre. Sounds damn good if I say so myself!!!!! 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:53 am

Great to hear Ray. Tom and his shop are the bomb.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 am

Its good to know there are shops that care about our "old" gear!!
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I may have found my HolyGrail.

Each year I go to CarverFest and get totally blown away by the gear Janice and George Daniel bring to the party. This year it was the little Dared pre and some other stuff that I honestly don't remember, but, in years past he brought a little tube rig and some Tyler speaks that blew the roof off. The soundfield was ENORMOUS out beyond both speakers and WAAAY behind them. Treble was clean and uncluttered, mids were smooth. Female voices had a depth to them I didn't remember hearing in my rig. Snare hits carried weight and the bass was extended for a 'bookshelf' speaker. Count me way impressed.

Jesse(F1nut) preaches system synergy and I have to admit there's something to it, and 'that' is intuitive. You can buy it but it's some other individuals idea of what sounds right to THEM, or you can go out listen and try to find it yourself. Some can show you the way but it's up to you to follow the path. The BobFather started me on my journey long before I met him. He was the means to feed my need to hear TheGrail. My 1st Carver rig had most of the merits of a fine rig but became really a good listen when I installed the AN-9 silver LS cables. Lightstar took me there in a laser-flat-FR-to-the-basement kinda way. Georges' systems have this in spades and I want/need/lust after it in the worst way.

In come the CarverFest 20s and the Klipsch Fortes.

At Fest12 MBSKEAM modded my little 20s, lowering plate voltage and installing a soft-start. The lower voltage allows me to roll a broader range of tubes. Angelo burned them in for a good long while and Mr Daniel provided(sold) some very nice EL84s for my cause. We rolled alot of different tubes in the amps and gave them a listen. Each had a very different flavor. I was surprised, rolling tubes in my C-19 and 490t didn't achieve those kind of results. I'm currently running the EL84s I got from George.

The little 20s ROCK!!! I'm running them to pair of Klipsch Fortes and the system sounds great. I bought the Fortes on my last trip to Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh. Tom has been making repairs on some of my gear and when I stopped in I saw the Klipsch's and a deal was struck. I got my 'new' speakers home and got them in the rig after I installed the C-11 Ton lent me while some other gear is getting repaired. All I can say is WOW These pieces were meant for each other.

I've listened to more music in the last week than I have in a really long time. The Fortes image well and with a little time taken in the set up have a very nice soundfield. These speakers allowed me place each of the Eagles across the stage while they were singing in harmony, something I hadn't noticed before or have forgotten I had. The Boss was up front and in my face during 10th Avenue Freezeout. Faith was right there singing to me, I could almost smell her perfume, opps wrong forum. I could place each of the Beatles in 'I am the Walrus'. Eddie's guitar wails on 'Running with the Devil' and 'Ain't talkin' 'bout Love' and Gary Hoey absolutely shredded 'Frankenstein'

I 'did' notice what appeared to be some treble roll-off at lower volume levels, but it could be my hearing. It was not an issue at more moderate listening levels.

Now I've heard the Fortes don't have bass...neither do Eddies Ohm 200s,,,bwahahaha....(guess you had to be there) I keep looking to see if my sub is on...oh wait it can't be, the amp is in Pittsburgh. The bass is not muddy, bloated or one noted it's just there and what seems to me to be correct (or at least how i like it, right or wrong). I LIKE these speakers, the 20s and the C-11. What a great little rig. Now all I need is a couple (4 or 5) of sets of CarverAudio interconnects and I'll be set.

ray

Got the 20s? Get your ass to a Klipsch dealer(or Tom's, whichever is closer). You might just love 'em.
Magnaryder

<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:23 am

Nice write up, Ray. It's wonderful when things click.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:15 am

Glad you found synergy. Nice writeup.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:52 am

Ray congrats on finding synergy! This year at CF I brought a C-11 pre because ... well, it was handy to get to! I was very pleased with the huge soundstage with my little 20 monoblocks. Have you used the sonic holigraphy on the C-11? Try it! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

rah

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:02 am

[quote="Magnaryder"]I may have found my HolyGrail.

I've listened to more music in the last week than I have in a really long time. The Fortes image well and with a little time taken in the set up have a very nice soundfield. These speakers allowed me place each of the Eagles across the stage while they were singing in harmony, something I hadn't noticed before or have forgotten I had. The Boss was up front and in my face during 10th Avenue Freezeout. Faith was right there singing to me, I could almost smell her perfume, opps wrong forum. I could place each of the Beatles in 'I am the Walrus'. Eddie's guitar wails on 'Running with the Devil' and 'Ain't talkin' 'bout Love' and Gary Hoey absolutely shredded 'Frankenstein'

I 'did' notice what appeared to be some treble roll-off at lower volume levels, but it could be my hearing. It was not an issue at more moderate listening levels.

Now I've heard the Fortes don't have bass...neither do Eddies Ohm 200s,,,bwahahaha....(guess you had to be there) I keep looking to see if my sub is on...oh wait it can't be, the amp is in Pittsburgh. The bass is not muddy, bloated or one noted it's just there and what seems to me to be correct (or at least how i like it, right or wrong). I LIKE these speakers, the 20s and the C-11. What a great little rig. Now all I need is a couple (4 or 5) of sets of CarverAudio interconnects and I'll be set.

ray

If you get the chance to hear or grab a pair of Klipch Chorus II's, seriously consider them. A bit larger than the Forte's but soundwise, I think, another step up the sound ladder.
My office (and only) system:
Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (thanks jjptkd!)
Sunfire Theater Grand Processor (with original remote!)
Carver TD-1770
Klipsch Chorus II's
Sony CA70ES 5-disc changer
Sony SACD 5-disc changer
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am

The Forte II's are what made me fall in love with Klipsch speakers. Congrats on your new setup!! =D> =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 pm

jjptkd wrote:The Forte II's are what made me fall in love with Klipsch speakers. Congrats on your new setup!! =D> =D> =D>

Right now I'm listening to a Journey cover band I recorded with the Tascam. Commercially recorded CDs suck for the most part as Mark was careful to point out at CF12. Although all of the perfomance isn't captured here it is representative of how good CD can actually sound.

I've been talking back and forth with a fellow named Al Klappenberger from the Klipsch forum. He 'updates' the Klipsch crossovers. This guy is something. He does alot of ground work before he builds a new crossover. He's built crossovers for most of the Klipsch Heritage Line of loudspeakers. I'm going to pick up a set for the Fortes when I rewire them, from what the other are saying the improvement is nothing short of remarkable. I took the PR off and looked around inside of them and there is room for improvement. At $150 for the kit, it's worth the $$ spent if I get the kind of performance gain I've been hearing about.

I've been shopping around on various CraigsList and found a set of Klipschhorns in my price range but they promptly disappeared....dammit. There are some pretty nice speakers in the Heritage Line that are available, and the pricing is reasonable but I want to wait until the 'preamp project' is finished and I get the Fortes done.

I just finished the copy of 'Revolver' IIRC, Jesse gave us(or we stole, I can't remember which) a couple of years ago and was thinking damn I like The Beatles:-) I might just have break the seal on my copy of the Magical Mystery Tour next.

I wonder what Fortes sound like with a couple of Lightstar watts behind 'em? No bass my ass :-0

Hey Klipsch folks, what are you running? I'm anxious to hear from you.

ray
Magnaryder

<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Just got my Chorus II's put back together, new K-792 tweeters (same as Cornwall III's) with stock Klipsch Titanium diaphragms, K-52 Titanium mids and new crossovers from Bob Crites. Currently I'm running them off my Sunfire Ultimate Receiver and they sound incredible. The upgrades are definitely worth every penny.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Next

Return to Carver Tubes