FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:45 am

Preamp choices for the tube amps

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: Preamp choices for the tube amps

I have a very short list of candidates for replacing the Sunfire, but all are above my price range at the moment, unless I part with my TGA Signature 7401(signed by Bob) and the Sunfire pre. I suppose getting the best tubes I can for it would be the cheapest way to go, but for now I will continue to let the Pioneer SC-37 impress me with it's preamp prowess.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:50 pm

What brand tubes are in your Sunfire now?
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:13 pm

The stock no-names and a pair of Sovtechs that Bob put in the phono stage...
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:06 am

stereo_buff wrote: IF I was to get rid of MY Sunfire, I would buy anything EXCEPT what F1 recommends :shock:

No surprise, you're deaf anyway.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:57 am

nooshinjohn wrote:The stock no-names and a pair of Sovtechs that Bob put in the phono stage...

We you haven't really heard the Sunfire pre till you have heard it with good NOS tubes. If you get those Telefunkens you are in for a treat. I'm using Amperex PQ 6922's and Telefunken 12AX7's.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 am

I know somebody that has some good tubes for a Sunfire pre for sale! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 am

F1nut wrote:
stereo_buff wrote: IF I was to get rid of MY Sunfire, I would buy anything EXCEPT what F1 recommends :shock:

No surprise, you're deaf anyway.

Opinions are like assholes; we all have them and they all stink, or so the old saw goes. However, you should be more careful about how broadly you spew your biased rantings in this day and age; you never know what will become of it.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:41 am

If you think I care, you're sadly mistaken.

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:55 pm

any ways...

F1,
what makes the pre's that you posted about, a better choice than the sunfire?

mind you, I am very new at the whole tube aspect.
so that is why I ask.
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:18 pm

mb, Are you interested in tube preamps only? There are some mighty fine solid-state units out there as well, e.g., Adcom GFP-750 (no longer in production), which was designed by Nelson Pass and is highly regarded in the industry. http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/133/
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:55 pm

mbskeam wrote:any ways...

F1,

so that is why I ask.

depth, expanse and realism of the sound field reproduced....if the pre can not do it - the amp can't make it up. i can not speak for the joule - except that they have an excellent reputation- but VTL....I can. Ask Don what he thinks about the VTL pre, he purchased an older model.
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Chauss wrote:

F1,

so that is why I ask.

depth, expanse and realism of the sound field reproduced....if the pre can not do it - the amp can't make it up. i can not speak for the joule - except that they have an excellent reputation- but VTL....I can. Ask Don what he thinks about the VTL pre, he purchased an older model.

Chauss did talk me into cutting loose with some stash. Can't comment on any other tube pre-amps, such as the Sunfire as I am new to the valve scene. However, purchased an "older" 4 year old VTL 2.5 (all I could afford) pre-amp and the difference between the VTL 2.5 and the Marantz pre (using only pre out of a receiver) is night and day. This is coming from a guy who did not believe. My soundstage width is so wide on some recordings, I have actually gotten up to see if the C-9 is engaged.

I have to watch Chauss though. He wants my next purchase to be the VTL Siegfried Reference Monoblock Amplifiers! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: http://www.vtl.com/pages/Amplifiers/Siegfried/
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Chauss wrote:

F1,

so that is why I ask.

Summed up nicely.

<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:18 pm

However, purchased an "older" 4 year old VTL 2.5 (all I could afford)
.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Chauss will have you selling your soul. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Tubes