FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:16 pm

New power cables for the TFM-75??

<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: New power cables for the TFM-75??

I definately will not do anything permanent that cant be easily reversed. I realise this is a valuable rare amp and will not do anything stupid. No rush anyway Carverfest is coming up soon and It wont get done before that.
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:20 pm

WHEW!!!!! You had me sweating Eric!!!!!! =D>
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:25 pm

You guys crack me up. I'd put 2 IEC's on that thing so fast it'd make your head spin.

If the existing power cords weren't good enough Bob wouldn't have used them.

Don't kid yourself. The real reason is IEC's cost more and Bob...well, he's cheap.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 pm

F1nut wrote:You guys crack me up. I'd put 2 IEC's on that thing so fast it'd make your head spin.

Don't kid yourself. The real reason is IEC's cost more and Bob...well, he's cheap.

When I was there, he always paid for breakfast... a piece of toast and coffee. I picked up dinner, which inevitably was on the higher end of the spectrum. :lol:

That said, no man of his considerable talent has been more generous with his time and skills as Mr. Carver. That is worth far more than a few meals.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:03 am

WhackJob wrote:Has any of you well-connected gents ever asked Mr. Carver his opinion on upgrading power cords?

He saw the cords on my tubes and thought I was nuts! :lol: But he also said that they fit well with the overall design of the amp and shortly after seeing them, his Kentucky amps started using IEC connections.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:08 am

nooshinjohn wrote:
F1nut wrote:You guys crack me up. I'd put 2 IEC's on that thing so fast it'd make your head spin.

When I was there, he always paid for breakfast... a piece of toast and coffee. I picked up dinner, which inevitably was on the higher end of the spectrum. :lol:

That said, no man of his considerable talent has been more generous with his time and skills as Mr. Carver. That is worth far more than a few meals.

F1 wasn't saying he was cheap dealing with people he was saying he tends to use cheap parts in some of his creations. Usually power cables and building posts. He still makes fine sounding equipment.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 am

I know that... Bob also does not believe they make any difference whatsoever. I think if Bob was like most of us here and thought they mattered at all, he would use them as well. His test cables are 16ga lamp cord for pete's sake! :shock:
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:29 am

WhackJob wrote:Has any of you well-connected gents ever asked Mr. Carver his opinion on upgrading power cords?

don't go there, you will be dissapointed on his view on wire, rca's,etc.........
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 am

although, he does own a set of $10k silver wire rca's. they sure looked nice on the table. what a conversation piece. i personally used them while working with his freq. plotter machine. neutric something or another. very cool test equipment bob has.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:24 am

I just LOVE cable topics! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

radioeng2

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:14 am

elgrau wrote: But just like RadioEng knows more about digital sampling theory than those that actually build DA/AD converters, there are those here who think they know more about amps and PC's than Bob does. They believe their "ears" and refuse to consider all of the evidence re phyco-accoustical effects, etc., etc. Whatever; who cares? To each his own...but I tend to go with the true experts in these fields and not "$800 PC salesman"...nor "radio techs".

Elg! You've obviously been breathing whatever is hanging in the air out there on the left coast too long! You haven't the slightest idea of what your ass is saying (talk about distortion!) about either topic you're blending together here! You're grasping at straws....

BTW...enjoyed some nice hi rez last night and still nothing burned down! Ha...ha...ha... That you still don't know a thing about that is still eating at you isn't it? One guys bias. commented on the web, and you've swallowed it all up as "expert" opinion. Still haven't pushed the "play" button i take it???

Sorry for the OT guys. Those out of the blue comments and unwarrented personal digs deserved to not be ignored.

Mark
<<

MRHP

TFM-75

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:55 am

Snoop65 wrote:I just LOVE cable topics! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D me too :D :D
TFM-75 serial #0001
PT-2400 serial #0001
Baby Black serial #0001
A Lightstar or two
Cherry/260's
Carver 490t
Sunfire Tube preamp
ProJect TT Tube preamp
DENON DP-62L TurnTable
Dual CS5000 Turn Table
DQ-20's
Douglas Cables
OK ERIC, LET GO OF THE MOUSE AND BACK AWAY FROM YOUR PC WITH YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. NOW SLOWLY LAY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR!!!! - Snoop65
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:38 pm

"Whatever; who cares? To each his own..."

Guess I have to repeat that for the "hard of hearing".... :-s

Perhaps when the discussion includes some new TECHNICAL arguments/info, I'll rejoin it. But I got way better things to do with my time then respond to the last resort of those without any valid rebuttals: ad hominem attacks from "hotheads".
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm

My thought on cables etc has always been, if the Bob-father personally voices each of his "products" using shitty ass cheap cables then that's the only way you'll hear it as he intended it to sound. Remember the whole transfer function deal, cloning the sound of different amps etc using off the shelf cheap parts, wires etc? Either you like the sound that Bob puts out there or you don't and you either try and change the sound with wires etc or buy new equipment. :? :? :?
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
(2 Pairs) Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:31 pm

jjptkd wrote:My thought on cables etc has always been, if the Bob-father personally voices each of his "products" using shitty ass cheap cables then that's the only way you'll hear it as he intended it to sound. Remember the whole transfer function deal, cloning the sound of different amps etc using off the shelf cheap parts, wires etc? Either you like the sound that Bob puts out there or you don't and you either try and change the sound with wires etc or buy new equipment. :? :? :?

I love Carver equipment. I just like to see if I can squeeze more performance out of them. :D
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)