FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:34 pm

One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:35 pm

Re: One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build

Dr K wrote:How do I upload some pics I've taken to this thread?

When you're typing a post, below the SUBMIT button there is a section with OPTIONS and UPLOAD ATTACHMENT. Click on the ATTACHMENT button & select the pic(s)
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks TNRabbit.

Here are some of the parts that have come in.

The first pic shows the two control circuit PCBs and stepper motors for the Goldpoint stepped attenuator that will be installed at the input of the amp.

The second pic shows the Mundorf M-Cap Supremes. Couple of matched 22 microF caps close to size of a soda can. This will be part of the bias control circuit in the power supply. I think I may have gone overboard on these caps 8-[ . The twelve 0.1 microF Mundorfs are bypass caps for the large reservoir caps in the PS. Couple matched 0.1 microF caps belong in the circuit feeding the filament center tap of the12AX7.
Attachments
Goldpoint Attenuator Remote Kit.jpg
Mundorf M-cap Supreme.jpg
Last edited by Dr K on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Soda can sized caps! THIS IS EXCITING! =D> =D> =D>
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm

welcome. i also think there is a specail place in gods kingdom for bob as he is a real, loving, caring, all around great guy. he is my king.....
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Soda can sized caps! THIS IS EXCITING!

Wait til you see the size of the PS reservoir caps. :shock:
Last edited by Dr K on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Angelod, thanks for the welcome.
<<

Chauss

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Snoop65 wrote:Soda can sized caps! THIS IS EXCITING! =D> =D> =D>

My power amps has em....it is a pre requisite for me too! :D
Good sound—like good music, good wine and good fellowship—is meant to be shared.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" Albert Einstein
<<

Snoop65

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Chauss wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Chauss wrote:

My Vintage Pioneer SX-1250 has 4 of them also.
Attachments
Pioneer_SX_1250_ovan_800.jpg
Pioneer_SX_1250_ovan_800.jpg (51.64 KiB) Viewed 580 times
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm

Those are beefy electrolytic caps in the Pioneer. However, I don't know of any manufacturer who puts FILM reservoir power supply caps in their amps. They are just too big, expensive, and impractical for use in mass manufactured high power amps, unless the amps are custom builds. For example, each of my mono blocks will have 6 film reservoir caps and 3 large nonreservoir film caps (blue caps in pic). The largest reservoir film cap I plan on using in my power supply measure 7.3 x 4.6 inches, weigh about 5 lbs, and has to be specially made. For comparison, the soda can in the pic measures 4.75 x 2.5 inches. So the diameter of the largest film cap is almost the same as the height of the soda can. The next four film caps are only slightly smaller measuring 7.3 x 3.5 inches. The next smallest reservoir and nonreservoir film caps are 5.7 x 3.0 inches. The smallest is the nonreservoir, near soda can size Mundorf cap shown in the pic. :shock:

It would be impractical to fit all these caps into one mono block chassis, unless you plan on having a mono block weighing over 100 lbs which would be impossible for me to carry upstairs with my bad back.
Attachments
FilmCaps.jpg
FilmCaps.jpg (27.92 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Last edited by Dr K on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm

forgive me for being a rube here, but just how much of a performance improvement do you expect for all the expense going into building these? I applaud the effort, but won't the Law of deminishing returns come into play at some point?
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm

Great question nooshinjohn. It would be as waste to use all these high quality caps without changing other parts of amp to take advantage of them. First, each of my mono block will have total of 8 output tubes compared to the 6 in the Cherry 180/Black Beauty and thus will output more power. Second, the output transformer will be designed for higher power than the Black Beauty. Third, having close to twice the reservoir capacitance will increase dynamics/head room. Fourth, film caps produce perceptively faster response than electolytic, so the speed or transient response of the amp is increased. Bypassing the reservoir caps with 0.1 microF film caps will further increase the speed, although some will consider this overkill. Fifth, film caps charge much faster and don't need time to "form" like electrolytics, so you don't have to wait an hour to several hours for the amp to sound its best. Sixth, film caps lasts many times longer and are more robust than electrolytics. All you have to do is ask an experienced amp builder who have used film caps in the power supply for the benefits in performance.
Last edited by Dr K on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:32 pm

As you go on with the build perhaps, but I get the picture for now. Until I built my amps, I had zero experience with anything even close to this. I would like to take the next set I do up a level or two, and have also thought about a twin chassis mono.

I will watch and learn my friend, but I may also ask a few stupid questions along the way. :lol: 8) :lol:
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:33 am

do you have a BOM for these?
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Dr K

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:19 am

Thank you all for your interest in my project. I will post as much information as possible. Some of you seem to think that I will take on this project all alone. This is far from the truth as I have too much invested in this financially and can't afford to screw this up with these expensive components, and I do not have the time nor appropriate skill to do all the detailed construction. I will have a professional builder do most of the detailed work with my input throughout the whole process in terms of layout of the tubes, circuit, cosmetics, etc. Bob will help fine tune the circuit after the transformer is built to his specification. However, I do appreciate your participation and would like your input. And I will answer any one of your questions as best I can without making a fool of myself [-o< .

BTW, what is BOM?
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Audio)